Finding an orthonormal basis for a subspace

In summary, an orthonormal basis for a subspace is a set of vectors that are both orthogonal and normalized. It is important because it simplifies calculations and helps us understand the structure of a subspace. To find an orthonormal basis, we can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This process can be applied to any set of linearly independent vectors to create an orthonormal basis for the subspace they span. It works by finding the projection of each vector onto the subspace spanned by previous orthogonalized vectors, and then creating a new vector that is orthogonal and normalized.
Cassi

Homework Statement

Find an orthonormal basis for the subspace of V4 spanned by the given vectors.
x1 = (1, 1, 0, 1)
x2 = (1, 0, 2, 1)
x3 = (1, 2, -2, 1)

Homework Equations

Gram-Schmidt Process

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used the Gram-Schmidt process but seem to be running into trouble. Here is what I did:
y1 = x1 = (1, 1, 0, 1)
y2 = x - y1 = (1-1, 0-1, 2-0, 1-1) = (0, -1, 2, 0)
y3 = x3 - y1 + y2 = (1-1+0, 2-1-1, -2-0+2, 1-1+0) = (0, 0, 0, 0)

Now I used these and their norms to find the basis {y1, y2}

y1 / lly1ll = 1/sqrt(3) (1, 1, 0, 1)
y2 / lly2ll = 1/sqrt(5) (0, -1, 2, 0)

Therefore, {1/sqrt(3) (1, 1, 0, 1), 1/sqrt(5) (0, -1, 2, 0)} from my work. However, my book says the answer is {(1/3)(1/sqrt(3)(1, 1, 0, 1), 1/sqrt(42) (1, -2, 6, 1)} which is very different than my answer. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cassi said:
y2 = x2 - y1
y3 = x3 - y1 + y2
This is not Gram-Schmidt, and randomly subtracting some vectors will not give orthogonal vectors in general. There is an important part missing.
You can see that your answer is wrong if you check if your y2 and y1 are orthogonal.

Unrelated to this issue: There is more than one orthonormal basis. Your answer can deviate from the book's answer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gram–Schmidt_process
Start with one vector, then from the second vector, subtract off the projection of the second vector onto the first vector. For the third, you have to subtract off the projections onto the two already found orthogonal vectors.
You can either normalize as you go, or normalize at the end. If you are doing it by hand, waiting until you have the orthogonal vectors is nicer for arithmetic. If you are automating the process, it is usually more efficient to normalize as you go.

mfb said:
This is not Gram-Schmidt, and randomly subtracting some vectors will not give orthogonal vectors in general. There is an important part missing.
You can see that your answer is wrong if you check if your y2 and y1 are orthogonal.

Unrelated to this issue: There is more than one orthonormal basis. Your answer can deviate from the book's answer.
This is the abbreviated formula given to me in my book from the more complex Gram-Schmidt formula. Maybe I will try using the original formulas.

Your y1 and y2 above are good starting points, since they are helping you to find a set of linearly independent vectors spanning the space. You have already found that the space spanned by the three vectors will only have dimension 2 with y1 and y2 as admissible bases. However, y1 and y2 are neither orthogonal nor normal, bases.

I was unable to reproduce the answer you had for the book answer, but as mfb said, there are many admissible solutions. It seems like the book answer may be based on conducting the operations in a certain order.

Cassi said:
This is the abbreviated formula given to me in my book from the more complex Gram-Schmidt formula. Maybe I will try using the original formulas.
I don't see how those formulas could be an abbreviated form of the Gram-Schmidt process. If they indeed are, you've overlooked important details in their derivation because they don't apply to this problem. I'd guess, however, that you've misunderstood what those particular equations are used for.

In any case, using the original formulas should get you the correct answer.

Related to Finding an orthonormal basis for a subspace

1. What is an orthonormal basis for a subspace?

An orthonormal basis for a subspace is a set of vectors that are both orthogonal (perpendicular) and normalized (unit length). This means that each vector in the basis is perpendicular to all other vectors in the basis, and each vector has a length of 1.

2. Why is finding an orthonormal basis important?

Finding an orthonormal basis is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and solve problems in a more efficient manner. It also helps us to understand the structure and properties of a subspace.

3. How do you find an orthonormal basis for a subspace?

To find an orthonormal basis for a subspace, we can use the Gram-Schmidt process. This involves taking a set of linearly independent vectors and orthogonalizing them one by one, and then normalizing them to have a length of 1. This results in a set of orthonormal vectors that span the same subspace.

4. Can every subspace have an orthonormal basis?

Yes, every subspace can have an orthonormal basis. This is because the Gram-Schmidt process can be applied to any set of linearly independent vectors to create an orthonormal basis for the subspace they span.

5. How does the Gram-Schmidt process work?

The Gram-Schmidt process works by taking a set of linearly independent vectors and first finding the projection of each vector onto the subspace spanned by the previously orthogonalized vectors. Then, the projection is subtracted from the original vector to create a new vector that is orthogonal to all previous vectors. This new vector is then normalized to have a length of 1, resulting in an orthonormal basis for the subspace.