Finding amplitude of oscillating spring; x(t) and v(t) given

You will get a quadratic equation for A.solved for Amplitude using -.2733/cos (1.070.) Ah, sorry. I missed that.
tensor0910
Gold Member

Homework Statement

At t = 0 seconds, the position of the oscillator is found to be -27.33 cm and the velocity of the oscillator is +0.744 m/s. What is the amplitude of the oscillation?[/B]

Homework Equations

position/time equation for oscillation: x(t) = Acos(wt + phi )
for velocity: v(t) = -Vmax sin(wt + phi )[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

at t = 0, the position is -.2733 m and the velocity is .744 m/s.
This leaves us with two equations with 2 unknowns. ( I think ) this is how they should look:

-.2733 = Acos(phi)
.744 = -.744sin (phi )

I unsuccessfully attempted to solve for either unknown and ended up with:

tan(phi ) = -A/-.2733

This is where I got stuck. Not even sure if my algebra is correct. Any/all tips are appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Edit: Original problem coupled with question. Sorry, forum noob here :-)

A mass of 1.4 kg is attached to a single spring and set into oscillation. The period of the spring oscillation is measured to be 4.22 seconds

[/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
tensor0910 said:
.744 = -.744sin (phi )
Hi tensor:

I see two things that appear to be not quite right in your work.
1. You omitted the equation v(t) = dx/dt.
2. How did you arrive at the value of the coefficient of sin in the quoted equation?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes tensor0910
Please do not bold face your posts. It violates forum rules.

tensor0910 said:
1. Homework Statement

At t = 0 seconds, the position of the oscillator is found to be -27.33 cm and the velocity of the oscillator is +0.744 m/s. What is the amplitude of the oscillation?

2. Homework Equations

position/time equation for oscillation: x(t) = Acos(wt + phi )
for velocity: v(t) = -Vmax sin(wt + phi )

3. The Attempt at a Solution

at t = 0, the position is -.2733 m and the velocity is .744 m/s.
This leaves us with two equations with 2 unknowns. ( I think ) this is how they should look:

-.2733 = Acos(phi)
.744 = -.744sin (phi )

I unsuccessfully attempted to solve for either unknown and ended up with:

tan(phi ) = -A/-.2733

This is where I got stuck. Not even sure if my algebra is correct. Any/all tips are appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Edit: Original problem coupled with question. Sorry, forum noob here :-)

A mass of 1.4 kg is attached to a single spring and set into oscillation. The period of the spring oscillation is measured to be 4.22 seconds

If ##x = \cos(\omega t + \phi)## then ##v = \frac{dx}{dt} = -A\omega \sin(\omega t + \phi)##, so you have three unknowns ##A,~\omega,\text{ and }\phi##. Putting ##t=0## in those two gives two equations. And if you know the period is ##4.22## seconds, that should give you ##\omega##. It might be helpful to use the ##\sin^2 + \cos^2## identity in your work.

Likes tensor0910
thank you for the reply Buzz!

After relooking at the problem with Buzz's tip I came up with these equations:

-.2733 = Acos( Φ ) x(t)
.744 = -ωAsin( Φ ) v(t)

I solved for ω using 2π/T ( calculator in rad ) and came up with 1.488

solved for A: A = -.2733/cosΦ

plugged A into v(t) and came up with :

.744 = (.40667)(tanΦ)

isolated tan(Φ) and solved for Φ and came up with...1.070.

But the program says its wrong!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: solved for Amplitude using -.2733/cos (1.070.)

Last edited:
Figured it out. Calculator needs to be back in Deg. to finish problem. Φ = 61.338. Plug into x(t)

Thank you Buzz and LCKurtz for the help!

Likes Buzz Bloom
tensor0910 said:
Figured it out. Calculator needs to be back in Deg. to finish problem. Φ = 61.338. Plug into x(t)

Thank you Buzz and LCKurtz for the help!
The amplitude is asked, you do not need the angle.
-0.2733 = Acos( Φ ) = x(t)
0.744 = -ωAsin( Φ ) = v(t)
ω=1.489
You can write the second equation in form Asin( Φ ) = 0.744/ω. Square both this equation and the first one, add up the squares, and use @LCKurtz hint about sin2 + cos2.

Related to Finding amplitude of oscillating spring; x(t) and v(t) given

1. What is the formula for finding the amplitude of an oscillating spring?

The formula for finding the amplitude of an oscillating spring is A = xmax - xmin, where A is the amplitude, xmax is the maximum displacement from equilibrium, and xmin is the minimum displacement from equilibrium.

2. How do I find the displacement function (x(t)) of an oscillating spring?

The displacement function, x(t), can be found by solving the differential equation mx'' + kx = 0, where m is the mass of the object attached to the spring and k is the spring constant. This will give you the general solution of x(t) = Acos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude and φ is the phase constant.

3. What is the relationship between displacement and velocity in an oscillating spring?

The relationship between displacement and velocity in an oscillating spring is described by the equation v(t) = -Aωsin(ωt + φ), where v(t) is the velocity, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant. This shows that the velocity is directly proportional to the displacement and is at a maximum when the displacement is zero.

4. How do I determine the period of an oscillating spring?

The period of an oscillating spring can be determined by using the formula T = 2π/ω, where T is the period and ω is the angular frequency. The angular frequency can be found by taking the square root of the ratio of the spring constant to the mass, ω = √(k/m).

5. Can I use the amplitude and velocity equations to find the acceleration of an oscillating spring?

Yes, the acceleration of an oscillating spring can be found by taking the derivative of the velocity equation, giving the equation a(t) = -Aω2cos(ωt + φ). This shows that the acceleration is directly proportional to the displacement and is at a maximum when the displacement is at its maximum or minimum.