Finding Absolute Zero Experimentally: Investigating a Capillary Tube

In summary, the student was trying to determine the temperature of absolute zero experimentally by using a capillary tube filled with oil. The experiment yielded inaccurate results because the gas was not held at a specific temperature and the oil was not in the same place each time.
miniradman
We were presented with a task of calculating the temperature of absolute zero experimentally.

To do this, we were given a capillary tube with one end sealed. Then we heated the tube up in a bunsen burner and quickly put the open end in some cooking oil. The oil was sucked up as the gas within the tube cooled down. The result of this was that there was a small section of the tube filled with oil. (image of setup attatched)

Once we had out tube filled, we exposed them to 4 different temperatures (5oC, 25oC, 55oC and 90oC and measured (using a ruler) the length of the gas in between the oil and sealed end of the tube.

Once we had these points we graphed them to get a y=mx+c function. The only problem is that my c value (when the volume equals zero) is around -150oC. I've repeated the experiment 4 times with the same results and I don't know what is affecting the results so severly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
miniradman said:
calculating the temperature of absolute zero experimentally

Determining, not calculating. Or calculating from experimental results.

I've repeated the experiment 4 times with the same results and I don't know what is affecting the results so severly.

Same tube with same oil sample each time?

Can you show numbers you got?

I never did such an experiment, and I have no clever ideas about what went wrong. But I agree with you that the error seems way too large. While air is not an ideal gas, it can be approximated by one quite accurately.

Are you certain that the gas was at 5C, 25C, etc.? It is very difficult to hold something at a specific temperature like that. With 0C, you can put it into a bath of melting ice, or with 100C, boiling water- water will stay at those temperatures as long as there is still some ice or water left. One other temperature you can be sure of is "room temperature"- let the object sit for an extended period, then measure the temperature of the air. Water does not "stay" at other temperatures.

Borek said:
Determining, not calculating. Or calculating from experimental results.
sorry :smile:
Borek said:
Same tube with same oil sample each time?

Can you show numbers you got?

I never did such an experiment, and I have no clever ideas about what went wrong. But I agree with you that the error seems way too large. While air is not an ideal gas, it can be approximated by one quite accurately.
Well, I used identical capillary tubes but the amount of oil was in the same, not was it in the same place (its a little hard to get exact). But even when the oil wasn't the same for each test, the c values for the linear equation I got were very close to all tests.

err... I only have the results for the test I intended to use for my practical report. But I know for a fact that everyone in the class (all 2 of them) and the teacher had around -150 degrees celcius as well.

25oC = 3cm
52oC = 3.5cm
91oC = 4cm
10oC = 2.6cm

Are you certain that the gas was at 5C, 25C, etc.? It is very difficult to hold something at a specific temperature like that. With 0C, you can put it into a bath of melting ice, or with 100C, boiling water- water will stay at those temperatures as long as there is still some ice or water left. One other temperature you can be sure of is "room temperature"- let the object sit for an extended period, then measure the temperature of the air. Water does not "stay" at other temperatures.
T 11:39 AM
Well the capillary tube's wall was very very thin and I read the level of the oil while it was still in the water. So I assurmed that the temperatures would have equalized by the time I recorded the result. :smile:

I find this experiment to be a creative and interesting approach to determining absolute zero experimentally. The use of a capillary tube and cooking oil to measure the change in gas volume as it cools down is a clever method.

However, I do have some concerns about the accuracy of the results. The fact that the c value in the y=mx+c function is around -150oC suggests that there may be some errors in the experimental setup or data collection. It is important to carefully control all variables in an experiment, such as the temperature of the bunsen burner, the amount of oil used, and the timing of measurements.

Additionally, it would be beneficial to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results to reduce the impact of any outliers or errors. It may also be helpful to compare your results to other established methods of determining absolute zero, such as using the ideal gas law or the freezing point of a pure substance.

Overall, this is a promising approach to finding absolute zero experimentally, but it is important to carefully analyze and address any discrepancies in the results to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Related to Finding Absolute Zero Experimentally: Investigating a Capillary Tube

1. What is absolute zero and why is it important to study?

Absolute zero is the theoretical temperature at which all molecular motion ceases to exist. It is important to study because it is the lowest possible temperature and has significant implications in physics and chemistry.

2. How is absolute zero experimentally determined?

Absolute zero cannot be reached experimentally, but it can be approximated through the use of various techniques and instruments. One common method is using a gas thermometer and measuring the temperature at which a gas reaches its lowest possible pressure.

3. What is the role of a capillary tube in this experiment?

A capillary tube is a thin, narrow tube used to measure the expansion and contraction of a liquid or gas. In this experiment, the capillary tube is used to measure the expansion of a gas as it is cooled, allowing for an estimation of absolute zero.

4. What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Some potential sources of error in this experiment include variations in the gas pressure, temperature fluctuations, and human error in reading the measurements. It is important to carefully control and monitor these factors to ensure accurate results.

5. What are the practical applications of knowing the value of absolute zero?

Knowing the value of absolute zero has practical applications in various fields, including cryogenics, materials science, and thermodynamics. It also helps in the development of new technologies and understanding the behavior of matter at extremely low temperatures.