Finding a point on a surface which is closest to given point

In summary, the "Lagrange Multipliers" method was used to find the point on the surface z^2 = xy + y + 3 that is closest to the point (1,2,0). This method uses the fact that the shortest distance from a point to a surface is always perpendicular to the surface. The surface was written as G(x, y, z) = xy + y + 3 - z^2 = 0 and its gradient vector was found to be yi + (x+1)j - 2zk. The vector -(Dx i + Dyj + Dzk) was also found to point along the line of fastest decrease of distance. Setting these two vectors as parallel resulted in the
catch22

Homework Statement

Find the point on the surface z2 = xy + y + 3 which is closest to the point (1,2,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2015-11-6_0-31-57.png

Can someone check my work?

Physics news on Phys.org
I used a slightly different method, "Lagrange Multipliers", and got the same answer so it looks good!

Likes catch22
HallsofIvy said:
I used a slightly different method, "Lagrange Multipliers", and got the same answer so it looks good!
curious to see which way is method, I haven't learned that yet.

Last edited:
The "Lagrange Mulltipliers" method uses the fact that the shortest distance from a point to a surface is always perpendicular to the surface. So a vector in the direction of the line of shortest distance is parallel to a vector perpendicular to the surface. Given the function D(x, y, z)= (x- 1)^2+ (y- 2)^2+ z^2, The vector -(Dx i+ Dyj+ Dzk)= -(2(x- 1)i+ 2(y- 2)j+ 2zk) points along the line of fastest decrease of distance. We can write the surface as G(x, y, z)= xy+ y+ 3- z^2= 0 which has gradient vector nabla G= yi+ (x+ 1)j- 2zk perpendicular to the surface. So those two vectors must be parallel which means one is a multiple of the other: -(2(x- 1)+ 2(y- 2)+ 2z= lambda (yi+ (x+ 1)j- 2zk) where lambda is the "Lagrange Multiplier".

Setting the same component equal we have the three equations, -2x+ 2= lambda y, -2y+ 4= lambda (x+ 1), and -2z= -2 lambda z. That is three equations in four unknowns, but we also have the equation of the surface, z^2= xy+ y+ 3. From -2z= -2 lambda z, we must have either z= 0 or lambda= 1. The first two equations, with lambda= 1, become -2x+ 2= y and -2y+ 4= x+ 1. With y= -2x+ 2, -2y+ 4= -2(-2x+ 2)+ 4= 4x- 4+ 4= 4x= x+ 1 so 3x= 1, x= 1/3. Then y= -2x+ 2= -2(1/3)+3= -2/3+ 6/3= 4/3. From that z^2= (1/3)(4/3)+ 4/3+ 3= 4/9+ 12/9+ 27/9= 43/9. So z= +/- sqrt(43)/3.

(One can show that z= 0, which is the same as saying xy+ y+ 3= 0, cannot give a minimum distance.)

Related to Finding a point on a surface which is closest to given point

1. What is the purpose of finding a point on a surface which is closest to a given point?

The purpose of finding a point on a surface which is closest to a given point is to determine the shortest distance between the given point and the surface. This can be useful in various applications such as optimizing routes, calculating the distance between objects, or finding the nearest point of impact in physics simulations.

2. How is the closest point on a surface calculated?

The closest point on a surface to a given point is typically calculated using mathematical algorithms such as the closest point projection method or the Newton's method. These methods involve finding the minimum distance between the given point and the surface, taking into account the surface's curvature and orientation.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of finding the closest point on a surface?

The accuracy of finding the closest point on a surface can be affected by factors such as the complexity of the surface, the precision of the given point's coordinates, and the method used for calculation. Additionally, rounding errors and numerical instability can also impact the accuracy of the result.

4. Can the closest point on a surface be found for any given point?

In theory, yes, the closest point on a surface can be found for any given point. However, in practice, it may not always be possible to find the exact closest point due to limitations in computational power or the complexity of the surface. In such cases, an approximation of the closest point can be calculated.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the closest point on a surface?

Finding the closest point on a surface has various real-world applications such as in computer graphics, robotics, and computer-aided design (CAD). It can also be used in geospatial analysis to determine the nearest points of interest or in medical imaging to locate the closest point of contact between anatomical structures.