Finding a plane's weight and horizontal acceleration at takeoff

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces acting on an airplane during takeoff and how to calculate the weight and horizontal acceleration of the plane. The weight of the plane is equal to the vertical force acting on it, which is found by using the equation Fy = Fsin(theta). The horizontal acceleration can be calculated using the equation Ax = Fx/m, where Fx is found using Fx = Fcos(theta).
cbchapm2

Homework Statement

On an airplane's takeoff, the combined action of the air around the engines and wings of an airplane exerts a 8240-N force on the plane, directed upward at an angle of 75.0° above the horizontal. The plane rises with constant velocity in the vertical direction while continuing to accelerate in the horizontal direction.

What is the weight of the plane in N?

What is it's horizontal acceleration?

Homework Equations

Force in the x direction: Fx=Fcos(theta)
Force in the y direction: Fy=Fsin(theta)

To find the weight of the plane, I would first find the mass and then use the equation
W=m X g, g being -9.8 m/s^2.

To find acceleration in the x direction, I would use Ax=Fx/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Fx and Fy like so:
Fx=8240cos(75*)
=2132.67 N

Fy=8240sin(75*)
=7959.23 N

I'm stuck on what to do after that...if I try to use the original force given 8240 N in the F=mg equation to find the mass, I get 840.82 kg. If I were to try and plug that back into the W=mg equation, I would just get the same original force that I was already given.

I need the mass to find acceleration, and I know I would do so by using the Ax=Fx/m. I have the Fx, I just need to know how to find the mass.

Help?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The plane rises with constant vertical speed so the vertical force, which you say is 7959.23 N, must be exactly equal to the weight of the airplane, mass times g.

So you're saying that the 7959.23 N is my weight of the plane? I guess that would make sense, since it's a constant vertical speed (y direction)...

Got the right answer for both questions! Thanks so much!

Firstly, great job in finding the components of the force in the x and y direction! To find the weight of the plane, you are on the right track in using the equation W=mg. However, in this case, we need to use the weight of the plane as the force in the y direction, not the original force given. This is because the weight of the plane is acting in the opposite direction of the upward force exerted by the air, balancing it out. So, we would have:

W = 7959.23 N

Next, to find the mass of the plane, we can rearrange the equation to m = W/g. Plugging in the value for weight and the acceleration due to gravity, we get:

m = 7959.23 N / 9.8 m/s^2 = 812.17 kg

Now, to find the horizontal acceleration, we can use the equation Ax = Fx/m. Plugging in the values for Fx and m, we get:

Ax = 2132.67 N / 812.17 kg = 2.63 m/s^2

Therefore, the weight of the plane is 7959.23 N and the horizontal acceleration is 2.63 m/s^2.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work.

Related to Finding a plane's weight and horizontal acceleration at takeoff

1. How is a plane's weight and horizontal acceleration determined at takeoff?

At takeoff, a plane's weight and horizontal acceleration can be determined using a combination of mathematical calculations and data from the plane's instruments. This includes factors such as the plane's mass, engine thrust, air resistance, and runway length.

2. Why is it important to know a plane's weight and horizontal acceleration at takeoff?

Knowing a plane's weight and horizontal acceleration at takeoff is crucial for ensuring safe and efficient flight. This information helps pilots make necessary adjustments to achieve the proper speed and lift needed for takeoff, and also ensures that the plane is not overloaded beyond its capacity.

3. What are some methods used to measure a plane's weight and horizontal acceleration at takeoff?

There are several methods used to measure a plane's weight and horizontal acceleration at takeoff. These include using load sensors on the landing gear, calculating thrust-to-weight ratios, and analyzing acceleration data from the plane's onboard sensors.

4. How do external factors such as weather and runway conditions affect a plane's weight and horizontal acceleration at takeoff?

External factors such as wind, temperature, and runway conditions can greatly impact a plane's weight and horizontal acceleration at takeoff. For example, a strong headwind can decrease the required takeoff speed, while a wet or icy runway can increase the amount of runway needed for takeoff.

5. What are the potential consequences of incorrect weight and horizontal acceleration calculations during takeoff?

If the weight and horizontal acceleration calculations are incorrect during takeoff, it can lead to serious consequences. The plane may not have enough speed or lift to take off properly, or it may become overloaded and unable to safely complete the flight. This can result in accidents, damage to the plane, and potential harm to passengers and crew.