Finding a parametric equation for y = f(x)

• Thread starter AngelofMusic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parametric
In summary, in order to find a parametrization for a given curve, one must first find y2=x3. Then, set y=f(t) and x=t and solve for x and y separately. This gives the parametrization (2-t)^3=t.
AngelofMusic
I've searched the web for information on Parametric Equations, and most of them only give me information on how to find y = f(x) when given y = y(t) and x = x(t).

Is there any sort of method for doing the reverse? I'm told that there are theoretically an infinite number of parametric equations for a given curve, but how do you go about finding any of them?

One of the questions in our textbook says:

Parametrize the curve y = f(x), x between [a,b].

No further information was given. I think I need to know this in order to do the questions that come afterwards. For example, [tex]y^2=x^3[/tex], from (4,8) to (1,1). The answer ends up being y = (2-t)^3 and x = (2-t)^2. The solution manual gives me no explanations as to how they arrived at that answer.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
there are an infinite number of parametrizations. one easy choice is the following:

given a curve f(x)=y

let y=f(t) and x=t.

this is a sort of trivial parametrization. there are lots more. what exactly are you looking for?

I'm basically looking for the thought process behind choosing a certain type of parametrization based on a restricted domain for t. The example I gave in my question:

[tex]y^2=x^3[/tex]

The question restricted the domain of t to be between 0 and 1. And one of the answers ended up being [tex]y(t) = (2-t)^3[/tex] and [tex]x(t) = (2-t)^2[/tex].

How did they come up with that? Is it just sort of guessing and checking?

Well I would be incliend to say:
[tex]y^2=x^3=t[/tex]
So
[tex]y=t^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]x=t^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]
but that can be a bit ugly, so the people replaced by [tex]t'=t^6[/tex] so that the exponents are integers.

With the new [tex]t[/tex] you get
[tex]y=t^3[/tex]
[tex]x=t^2[/tex]

The [tex]2-[/tex] is added for the final values, but that could also be done by chaning the range for [tex]t[/tex].

NateTG is, as usual, exactly right.

There exist many "parametrizations" for any given curve. Given that y2= x3, the simplest to find is to set
y2= x3= t and solve for x and y separately.

If you don't like fractions (and who does?) you might think instead
( )2= ( )3 and not that those will be "obviously" equal if you put t3 in the first parenthesis and t2 in the second. That is: x= t2 and y= t3 just as NateTG gave.

That's a perfectly good parametrization- in particular, when t= 1, it gives the point (1, 1) and when t= 2, it gives the point (4,8).

Once you have that, you could replace the "t" by any formula (in particular "2- t") and still have a parametrization for the same curve. With x= (2-t)2 and y= (2-t)3, when t= 1, we get (1,1) and when t= 0, we get (4,8), just the reverse of what we had before.

Oooh, thank you both very much NateTG and HallsofIvy! That made perfect sense! :-)

Related to Finding a parametric equation for y = f(x)

1. What is a parametric equation?

A parametric equation is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between two or more variables, where each variable is defined in terms of a parameter. These equations are commonly used to describe curves and surfaces in mathematics and physics.

2. How do you find a parametric equation for a given y = f(x)?

To find a parametric equation for y = f(x), you can express x and y in terms of a third variable, t, called the parameter. This will result in a set of equations in the form of x = g(t) and y = h(t), where g(t) and h(t) are functions of t. These two equations together form the parametric equation for y = f(x).

3. What are the advantages of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations offer several advantages over traditional Cartesian equations. They can represent more complex curves and surfaces, such as circles and ellipses, with simpler equations. They also allow for easier manipulation and analysis of curves and surfaces, and can be used to solve problems in physics and engineering.

4. Can any equation be written in parametric form?

Not all equations can be written in parametric form. Generally, equations that can be expressed in terms of two or more variables can be written in parametric form. However, equations that are already in parametric form, such as those describing curves or surfaces, cannot be converted to a different form.

5. How can parametric equations be used in real-world applications?

Parametric equations have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. They can be used to model the motion of objects, such as projectiles or planets, and to create 3D animations and simulations in computer graphics. They are also used in designing and analyzing complex systems, such as robots and vehicles.