Finding a function given a limit and restriction

In summary: The function has to be defined at x=2.You can define it in a way everywhere except x=2, and define its value separately at x=2.
Mustard
Homework Statement
Look at snippet
Relevant Equations
Look at snippet
calchelp.PNG

Not sure how to go about this. Would relying on a hole or asymptote work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mustard said:
Homework Statement:: Look at snippet
Relevant Equations:: Look at snippet

View attachment 268806
Not sure how to go about this. Would relying on a hole or asymptote work?
yes, the function need not be continuous.

ehild said:
yes, the function need not be continuous.
Hmmm... I was thinking of a function like f(x)= 4x-8/x-2 = 4(x-2)/x-2 = 4, that would make a hole at x=2.
But would also make f(2) = 4 ? Would it be safe to assume since there is a hole at (2,4) , it is undefined therefore f(2) does not equal 4 ?

Mustard said:
Hmmm... I was thinking of a function like f(x)= 4x-8/x-2 = 4(x-2)/x-2 = 4, that would make a hole at x=2.
But would also make f(2) = 4 ? Would it be safe to assume since there is a hole at (2,4) , it is undefined therefore f(2) does not equal 4 ?
The function has to be defined at x=2.
You can define it in a way everywhere except x=2, and define its value separately at x=2.

ehild said:
The function has to be defined at x=2.
You can define it in a way everywhere except x=2, and define its value separately at x=2.
Do you mean like a piece wise function ?

Mustard said:
I was thinking of a function like f(x)= 4x-8/x-2 = 4(x-2)/x-2 = 4
You need more parentheses.
4x-8/x-2 means ##4x - \frac 8 x - 2##
and 4(x-2)/x-2 means ##\frac{4(x - 2)}x - 2##
When a numerator or denominator of a fraction contains multiple terms, you need parentheses around the whole numerator or denominator, like so.
f(x)= (4x-8)/(x-2) = 4(x-2)/(x-2)
ehild said:
Mustard said:
Do you mean like a piece wise function ?
Yes.

I suppose you can take any function, and define another function as that one multiplied it by (x - 2) and also divided by (x - 2) - I defer to the mathematicians as to whether that is formally a bona fide new function but even if it is it looks to me trivial and cheating.

The problem says that f(2) ≠ 4 but it doesn't say it has to be equal something or be defined. Probably you have studied before functions which at some point become equal to 0/0 but you were able to find their limit at that point? So you could adapt one of those, I guess that is what the question is expecting.

epenguin said:
I suppose you can take any function, and define another function as that one multiplied it by (x - 2) and also divided by (x - 2) - I defer to the mathematicians as to whether that is formally a bona fide new function but even if it is it looks to me trivial and cheating.

Two functions [itex]f : A \to B[/itex] and [itex]g: C \to D[/itex] are equal if and only if [itex]A = C[/itex] and [itex]B = D[/itex] and for every [itex]a \in A[/itex] we have [itex]f(a) = g(a)[/itex]. Thus [itex]f : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [tex]
g: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} : x \mapsto \begin{cases} \frac{(x-2)}{(x-2)}f(x) & x \neq 2 \\
f(2) & x = 2 \end{cases}[/tex] are the same function, but if [itex]g(2)[/itex] is defined to be something other than [itex]f(2)[/itex] then they are not. However, [itex]g[/itex] is always equal to [tex]
h: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R} : x \mapsto \begin{cases} f(x) & x \neq 2 \\
g(2) & x = 2 \end{cases}[/tex] which is easier to write and read.

I don't think it assists anyone to characterise an obvious or straightforward example which satisfies the conditions of the question as "trivial and cheating".

epenguin said:
The problem says that f(2) ≠ 4 but it doesn't say it has to be equal something or be defined. Probably you have studied before functions which at some point become equal to 0/0 but you were able to find their limit at that point? So you could adapt one of those, I guess that is what the question is expecting.

I would say that [itex]f(2) \neq 4[/itex] means that [itex]f(2)[/itex] is defined but is not 4. If a function for which [itex]f(2)[/itex] was not defined but [itex]\lim_{x \to 2} f(x) = 4[/itex] was wanted, then the question would have said exactly that; and [itex]f : \mathbb{R} \setminus \{2\} \to \mathbb{R} : x \mapsto 4[/itex] would work.

(It would be nice if the question had started "Find [itex]f : \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that ...")

Related to Finding a function given a limit and restriction

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two sets of numbers, where each input has a unique output. It is represented by an equation or a graph.

2. How do I find a function given a limit and restriction?

To find a function given a limit and restriction, you can use the limit definition of a derivative. This involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the input approaches the given limit. You can then use algebraic manipulation to solve for the function.

3. What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as the input approaches a certain value. It is represented by the notation lim f(x), where x represents the input and f(x) represents the function.

4. What are restrictions in a function?

Restrictions in a function refer to limitations or conditions that are placed on the input or output of the function. These can include domain and range restrictions, as well as constraints on the type of function (e.g. polynomial, exponential, etc.).

5. Can a function have multiple limits and restrictions?

Yes, a function can have multiple limits and restrictions. In fact, many real-world functions have multiple constraints and limitations that must be considered when finding a function. It is important to carefully analyze and understand all the restrictions in order to accurately determine the function.