Finding a Basis Subset in (a, b, c, d) for S in R4 | Homework Solution

• Thread starter fireb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis
In summary, the problem is to find a basis for R4 such that the first component of each basis vector is not 0, and the suggested solution is to take the standard basis and change the first component of each to a non-zero number. The independence of the new basis vectors must be checked.
fireb

Homework Statement

Let S be the form of (a, b,c ,d )in R4, given a not equal to 0. Find the basis that is subset of S.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got a(1,0,0,0), b(0,1,0,0), c(0,0,1,0), d(0,0,0,1) as basis. a not = 0
But i wasn't sure what the significances of a not = to 0 means

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It means find four elements of R4 that are linearly independent and all of whose first components are non-zero. That would comprise such a basis.

However, the set of all (a, b, c, d) in R4 such that [itex]a\ne 0[/itex] is NOT a subspace and so does NOT have a basis. Are you sure you have read the problem correctly?

I'm thinking the OP may have the problem stated correctly since he/she calls S a set. They just seek a basis for R4 choosing only from that set.

Ah! You are right. I misread it. The problem is NOT to find a basis for S but to find a basis for R4 such that the first component of each basis vector is not 0.
I would be inclined to take the "standard" basis and change the first component of each to a simple non-zero number. Then check to see if they are still independent.

Related to Finding a Basis Subset in (a, b, c, d) for S in R4 | Homework Solution

1. What is a basis problem?

A basis problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. This set of vectors is known as a basis, and it is used to represent any vector in the vector space.

2. Why is finding a basis important?

Finding a basis is important because it allows us to represent any vector in a vector space using a finite number of linearly independent vectors. This makes it easier to perform calculations and solve problems within the vector space.

3. How do you find a basis?

To find a basis, you need to first determine the dimension of the vector space. Then, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination or the Gram-Schmidt process to find a set of linearly independent vectors that span the vector space.

4. What is the difference between a basis and a spanning set?

A basis is a specific kind of spanning set that has the additional property of being linearly independent. This means that no vector in a basis can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the basis. A spanning set, on the other hand, only needs to include enough vectors to represent any vector in the vector space.

5. Can a vector space have more than one basis?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple bases. This is because there is usually more than one way to choose a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. However, all bases for a particular vector space will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the vector space.