Finding a basis for the linear transformation S(A)=A^T?

In summary, you can find ##S_\alpha## by flattening each 2x2 matrix into a 4-vector and using these vectors as columns in a 4x4 transformation matrix. This can be achieved through the use of the vec() or flatten() function.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Find ##S_\alpha## where ##S: M_{2×2}(ℝ)→M_{2×2}(ℝ)## is defined by ##S(A)=A^T##.

Homework Equations

##A^T=\begin{pmatrix}
a_{11} & a_{21} \\
a_{12} & a_{22}
\end{pmatrix}##

##\alpha= \{
{\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \end{pmatrix},
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 \\
1 & 0 \end{pmatrix},
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 \end{pmatrix},
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}} \}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found ##S_\alpha## before where the vectors can be expressed as columns, but i have no experience with finding the transformation matrices for actual matrices. Can anyone help me? This is as far as I got:

##S(A)=A^T=\begin{pmatrix}
a_{11} & a_{21} \\
a_{12} & a_{22} \end{pmatrix}=a_{11}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}+a_{12}\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 \\
1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}+a_{21}\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 \\
0 & 0 \end{pmatrix}+a_{22}\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}
##

How would I form this into a four-dimensional basis?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Flatten each of the 2 x 2 matrices into a 4-vector by concatenating its columns, eg
$$flatten\left(A^T\right) = \langle a_{11},a_{12},a_{21},a_{22} \rangle$$
Then the flattened versions of the four matrices on the RHS of your last equation, suitably re-ordered based on the order of their coefficients in ##flatten(A)##, become the columns of the 4 x 4 transformation matrix.

Okay, I solved it. Thanks for telling me about that function...

Note: in math this function is typically called the

vec() operator and has interesting uses with Kronecker products.

in certain programming languages, you'll see it called flatten (e.g. numpy.flatten() in python, though you need to specify column order as it defaults to row ordering.)

Related to Finding a basis for the linear transformation S(A)=A^T?

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the linear structure of the vector space. In simpler terms, it is a way to transform a set of vectors into a new set of vectors, while maintaining their overall shape and orientation.

2. Why is it important to find a basis for a linear transformation?

Having a basis for a linear transformation allows us to better understand and analyze the transformation. It also allows us to easily perform calculations and make predictions about the transformation.

3. How do you find a basis for a linear transformation?

To find a basis for a linear transformation, we can use the columns of the transformation matrix. These columns will form a basis for the range of the transformation. We can also use the null space of the transformation matrix to find a basis for the kernel of the transformation.

4. Can a linear transformation have more than one basis?

Yes, a linear transformation can have multiple bases. This is because there can be multiple sets of vectors that can span the same vector space. However, all of these bases will have the same number of vectors, known as the dimension of the vector space.

5. How is finding a basis for a linear transformation related to the transpose of a matrix?

The transpose of a matrix, denoted by A^T, is a linear transformation that flips the rows and columns of a matrix. When we apply the linear transformation S(A) = A^T, we are essentially finding a basis for the transpose of the original matrix A. This allows us to better understand the properties of A^T and how it relates to the original matrix A.