Finding 2x2 Hamiltonian Matrix for Second-Quantized Hamiltonian

In summary, the task at hand is to find the 2x2 Hamiltonian matrix for a system of electrons and photons, written in second-quantized form. This can be done by expressing the operator A in a basis and calculating the matrix elements using the inner product. The process may involve computing the effect of H on the two given basis states and then calculating the 4 inner products.
RugbyRyan

Homework Statement

I need to find the 2x2 Hamiltonian matrix for the Hamiltonian, which is written in second-quantized form as below for a system consisting of the electrons and photons.

H = h/ωb†b + E1a†1a1 + E2a†2a2 + Ca†1a2b† + Ca†2a1b,

a's are creation and annihilation operator for electrons, and b's are for photons.

Homework Equations

Need to be written in the basis of the following states

|φ1> = 1 √(n−1)! a2† (b†)^(n−1)|0>
|φ2>= 1 √(n)! a1† (b†)^(n)|0>

I'm not sure where to begin. I'm guessing I have to find the eigenvalues and vectors of the hamiltonian but not sure how. Could someone help me start this problem? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No need to compute eigenvalues/vectors here...Just use the fact that any operator [itex]A[/itex] can be expressed in a basis [itex]\{|v_1\rangle,|v_2\rangle,\ldots|v_n\rangle\}[/itex] as a matrix with entries given by [itex]A_{ij}=\langle v_i|A|v_j\rangle[/itex]. So, for example [itex]H_{12}=\langle \psi_1|H|\psi_2\rangle[/itex]...just calculate the 4 inner products to get your 4 components.

Recall [itex]\hat{H} |e_j \rangle= H_{ij} |e_i \rangle[/itex]. Summation over i implied. How can you find the matrix elements from this?

Thanks to both of you. That helped a lot. I managed to do inner product for one of the terms of the Hamiltonian for just the first component of the matrix. Seems like this is going to be a long process. Is there a trick that I maybe missing that will reduce computations?

Just begin by calculating the effect of [itex]H[/itex] on each of your two basis states. After that, all 4 inner products should be straightforward.

Related to Finding 2x2 Hamiltonian Matrix for Second-Quantized Hamiltonian

What is a Hamiltonian matrix?

A Hamiltonian matrix is a mathematical representation of the Hamiltonian operator, which describes the total energy of a quantum mechanical system. It is a square matrix that contains all the information about the system's energy levels and how they are related to each other.

What is second-quantization?

Second-quantization is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to describe systems with multiple particles. It represents particles as creation and annihilation operators, which can be used to create and destroy particles in different states. This allows for a more efficient and accurate description of complex quantum systems.

Why is it important to find the 2x2 Hamiltonian matrix for a second-quantized Hamiltonian?

Finding the 2x2 Hamiltonian matrix allows us to accurately calculate the energy levels and transition probabilities of a quantum system. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior and properties of the system, and can also be used to make predictions and design experiments.

How is the 2x2 Hamiltonian matrix calculated?

The 2x2 Hamiltonian matrix is calculated by applying the Hamiltonian operator to the creation and annihilation operators for a two-particle system. This involves taking into account the interactions between the particles and their respective energy levels. The resulting matrix will have elements corresponding to the different energy states of the system.

Are there any limitations to using the 2x2 Hamiltonian matrix for a second-quantized Hamiltonian?

While the 2x2 Hamiltonian matrix is a useful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, it is limited to systems with only two particles. For more complex systems, higher-dimensional Hamiltonian matrices may be needed. Additionally, the accuracy of the matrix depends on the assumptions and approximations made in the calculation process.