Find Vx using node voltage method

In summary, the first term in the KCL equation should be corrected to (Vx + 30)/5 to be consistent with the other terms and take into account the reversed polarity of the 30V source.
Samira
Capture.PNG
is= 1.2 mA

i submitted my solution but it was wrong,can someone please explain why?

/* i just wanted to check if my solution is correct so i don't lose marks on my homework
did i do any mistakes ?
if so please explain.*/
my solution:
IMG_20170320_221725.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't gone through all your working but check the polarity of the 30V source and the first term in the KCL equation.

Hi Samira,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

In future be sure to use the homework formatting template that is provided in the edit window when a new thread is started here in a homework forum. It is one of the rules of the forums and you will find your posts deleted if it is not used.

Regarding your question, your work and result look fine.

alright, I'm sorry and thank you for your answer.

I still think the first term should be (Vx - (-30)) / 5

For example to be consistent with the third term (Vx-(+80))/1

Likes Samira
CWatters said:

Argh! You're right! I missed the reversed polarity on the 30 V supply o:) Good catch.

@Samira : The first term in your node equation needs to be fixed. It should be ##\frac{V_x + 30}{5}## .

Likes Samira
CWatters said:

i'm sorry i did not see your answer last night , i thought i only got one.
thank you !

Related to Find Vx using node voltage method

1. What is the node voltage method?

The node voltage method is a circuit analysis technique used to find the voltage at different nodes (connection points) in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law and is commonly used in the analysis of complex circuits.

2. How does the node voltage method work?

In the node voltage method, each node in the circuit is assigned a variable (usually denoted by Vx) and a reference node is chosen. Using Kirchhoff's Current Law, a set of equations is formed with the unknown node voltages. These equations are then solved simultaneously to find the voltage at each node.

3. When is the node voltage method used?

The node voltage method is typically used when analyzing circuits with multiple voltage sources and/or multiple parallel branches. It is also useful for circuits with dependent sources, as it allows for the analysis of the circuit without having to know the actual values of the sources.

4. What are the advantages of using the node voltage method?

One advantage of using the node voltage method is that it is applicable to both linear and nonlinear circuits, making it a versatile technique. It also allows for the simplification of complex circuits, reducing the number of calculations required. Additionally, it can be easily applied to circuits with multiple sources and branches.

5. Are there any limitations to the node voltage method?

The node voltage method may not be suitable for circuits with a large number of nodes, as it can become time-consuming to solve a large set of equations. In such cases, other circuit analysis techniques such as the mesh current method may be more efficient. Additionally, the node voltage method assumes ideal conditions and may not be accurate in real-world circuits with non-ideal components.