Find velocity of an accelerated proton using kinetic energy

In summary: You should use the relativistic equation, because it's more accurate.@ehild Yep I used special relativity, because my teacher keeps emphasising that we should be doing "complicated" calculations.Now I'll have to see if my teacher likes what I've done :)Some people will say (as per Einstein) that the total energy whether at rest or moving is@J Hann thanks- I'll re-calculate it with that- we only ever learned relativistic mass, length and time in class so I assumed there weren't other equations (whoops)@ehild If your teacher wants you to apply SR, use the formulaKE=mc^2 \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1
Tiggy B

Homework Statement

So I'm trying to find the final velocity of a proton that is being accelerated by a particle accelerator, just before it collides with a particle. All I have is its kinetic energy just before collision: 4.7066×10^(-13) J.

I thought I should use KE = 1/2 mv^2 but then realized it should be traveling near the speed of light, so I used Einstein's equation for special relativity to find the relative mass

I.e. I subbed in "m (rest)/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))" for mass

However, when I solved for 'v' (which involved lots of algebra and logs), I got 1.713×10^31 m/s

THAT'S WAY TOO FAST!
I have checked my working a few times so I suspect there is something intrinsically wrong- should I not use relativistic mass?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 mv^2
m (relative) = m (rest)/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2))

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt is attached as a pdf- to preserve formatting

Thanks for any thoughts or help! :)

Attachments

• physics and painful logs.pdf
    229.9 KB · Views: 285
Physics news on Phys.org
You used the wrong classical answer for velocity and plugged it into the relativistic formula? That does not work.

You certainly need to use relativistic energy.
Ek = E - E0 is the given KE.
Note that Ek = m0 c^2 (1 / A - 1) where m0 may be referred to as the rest mass of the proton.
where A is the relativistic factor (1 - v^2 / c^2)^1/2.

Likes Tiggy B
You made a very basic error. You applied logarithm to a sum. log(a+b) is not log(a) + log(b)!

Determine the speed of the proton with the classical formula. With v obtained, calculate the Lorentz factor and see if it appreciably deviates from 1. If the difference is less than 0.01, you do not need the relativistic formula.

Likes Tiggy B
@J Hann thanks- I'll re-calculate it with that- we only ever learned relativistic mass, length and time in class so I assumed there weren't other equations (whoops)

@ehild I applied the multiplication rule... log (a) + log (b) = log (a*b)
But thanks for recommending the Lorentz factor- the more maths and equation knowledge I can put in my solution the better! :)

@J Hann Wait a sec- shouldn't I just use E= m(r)*c^2 - m0*c^2 ? Or is your equation derived from that?

ehild said:
Determine the speed of the proton with the classical formula.
I would start here.

Likes Tiggy B
mfb said:
I would start here.
Ok- I did so, and got roughly 2.4*10^7 m/s, which gave a Lorentz factor of 1.003

ehild said:
With v obtained, calculate the Lorentz factor and see if it appreciably deviates from 1. If the difference is less than 0.01, you do not need the relativistic formula.

So I'll have a go with the relativistic equation now...

Does 1.003 represent that there is a dilation of 3%? I'm just trying to figure out how to explain that calculation, and the internet generally describes the Lorentz factor as time dilation, which doesn't really make sense in this case...

Thanks for all the help C:

Tiggy B said:
Ok- I did so, and got roughly 2.4*10^7 m/s, which gave a Lorentz factor of 1.003
Which means you can probably neglect special relativity. If you don't want to do that:

The Lorentz factor depends on velocity only, and you can directly calculate it based on the given energy and the proton mass. Solve for velocity, done.

mfb said:
Which means you can probably neglect special relativity. If you don't want to do that:

The Lorentz factor depends on velocity only, and you can directly calculate it based on the given energy and the proton mass. Solve for velocity, done.

Yep I used special relativity, because my teacher keeps emphasising that we should be doing "complicated" calculations.
Now I'll have to see if my teacher likes what I've done :)

Some people will say (as per Einstein) that the total energy whether at rest or moving is
m c^2 / (1 - v^2 / c^2)^1/2
and that the relativistic quantity involved is momentum not mass - mass is mass at rest or moving.
If that's confusing, don't worry because most textbooks use m = m0 / (1 - v^2 / c^2)^1/2
and the results are the same.
The 1.003 that you found involves 1 / (1 - v^2 / c^2)^1/2 and allows you to calculate v as
a percentage of c.
The binomial theorem is commonly used expand (1 - v^2 / c^2)^-1/2 when v nearly equals c.

Last edited:
Tiggy B said:
If your teacher wants you to apply SR, use the formula
[tex]KE=mc^2 \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}-1 \right)[/tex]
to get the Lorentz factor, and the speed v from that. You will get the same v with three significant digits as you have got with the classical method.
Avoid to use logarithms. You have a calculator, don't you?

Last edited:

Related to Find velocity of an accelerated proton using kinetic energy

1. How do you calculate the velocity of an accelerated proton using its kinetic energy?

The velocity of an accelerated proton can be calculated using the formula: v = √ (2KE/m), where v is the velocity, KE is the kinetic energy, and m is the mass of the proton.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the velocity of an accelerated proton?

The unit of measurement for the velocity of an accelerated proton is meters per second (m/s).

3. How is kinetic energy related to the velocity of an accelerated proton?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the velocity of an accelerated proton. This means that as the velocity increases, the kinetic energy also increases.

4. Can the velocity of an accelerated proton be greater than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Thus, the velocity of an accelerated proton cannot exceed the speed of light.

5. What are the factors that affect the velocity of an accelerated proton?

The velocity of an accelerated proton is affected by the strength of the acceleration, the mass of the proton, and any external forces acting on the proton. Additionally, the medium through which the proton is traveling can also have an effect on its velocity.