Find velocity of a cart using a spring at an angle

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity of a cart under a spring at 90 degrees. The equations used are Conservation of Energy and Work-Force equation. The attempt at a solution includes a diagram and variables, but some of the labels are confusing. The length of the spring under zero tension is given as .085m and the cart starts at rest. The recorded velocity of 0.5 m/s is from a calibrated motion sensor. There is a possibility of re-recording data for more accurate results.
PhilEWCC
I have to find the velocity of the cart when it lands right under the spring at 90 degrees. The spring is at an angle. I am not getting the right numbers though, can anyone help? This is my first post here BTW. This community looks awesome!

2. Equations
You can use anything, but I used both Conservation of Energy (change in total energy = 0) and Work-Force equation (Work = int(F*ds))

3. Attempt at a solution
You can see my attempt, variables and work here. Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/alJ4Q

More variables and work in imgur album.
10937788_10205579438475605_1972795588_n.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work is kind of hard to follow. What does "Vf = 0.5 recorded" mean? Is that the result of an experiment?

I don't see the length of the spring under zero tension anywhere. Did I miss it? Your picture is confusing. I can't quite figure out the relation between h and Delta Xf. And you have something equal to 0.006, and labeled negligible. I can't figure out what that is supposed to be. Does it mean the cart starts very nearly at rest?

Try to be more careful in labelling things so that it is easier to figure out what they correspond to.

DEvens said:
Your work is kind of hard to follow. What does "Vf = 0.5 recorded" mean? Is that the result of an experiment?

I don't see the length of the spring under zero tension anywhere. Did I miss it? Your picture is confusing. I can't quite figure out the relation between h and Delta Xf. And you have something equal to 0.006, and labeled negligible. I can't figure out what that is supposed to be. Does it mean the cart starts very nearly at rest?

Try to be more careful in labelling things so that it is easier to figure out what they correspond to.

Sorry if it's a little confusing.
The length of the spring under zero tension is .085m, h is the height from the pivot point of the top of the spring to the cart. Delta Xf is the distance in zero tension of the bottom of the spring to stretched position on the cart once at 90 degrees. And yes, the cart starts at rest.

If I followed your data and your diagram correctly I get the same answer you do. Where did the "recorded" value of 0.5 m/s come from?

Check all your values. Make sure you have got the right value, and that you are interpreting it correctly.

That's what I was thinking. I don't know how else to find velocity other than these two methods, which seem correct. I will try and rerecord some data when I get back in the lab again.

The velocity was recorded with a calibrated motion sensor. I can upload logger pro data if you want, too. Let me know haha :). This is for a challenge for extra points in our class.

Just wondering DEvens, what equation did you use to get the same answer as I did?

Related to Find velocity of a cart using a spring at an angle

1. How does a spring at an angle affect the velocity of a cart?

The angle of the spring can affect the direction and magnitude of the force exerted on the cart, which in turn can affect its velocity.

2. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a cart using a spring at an angle?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a cart using a spring at an angle is V = sqrt((kx^2)/m), where k is the spring constant, x is the displacement of the spring, and m is the mass of the cart.

3. How do you determine the spring constant for a spring at an angle?

The spring constant can be determined by conducting experiments where the displacement of the spring and the resulting force on the cart are measured. The spring constant is equal to the slope of the resulting force-displacement graph.

4. How does the mass of the cart affect the velocity when using a spring at an angle?

The mass of the cart is directly proportional to the velocity when using a spring at an angle. This means that as the mass of the cart increases, the velocity will also increase.

5. What are some other factors that can affect the velocity of a cart using a spring at an angle?

Other factors that can affect the velocity of a cart using a spring at an angle include the initial position and velocity of the cart, air resistance, and friction between the cart and the surface it is moving on.