Find values of k in this linear system

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of k for a system of equations with unknowns x, y, and z to have a unique solution, no solution, or an infinite number of solutions. The conversation mentions using matrices and determinants, as well as Cramer's rule, to solve the system. It is suggested to use Gaussian elimination as a simpler alternative.
Robb

Homework Statement

Find the values of k so that each of the following systems in unknowns x, y, and z has (i) a unique solution, (ii) no solution, (iii) an infinite number of solutions.

x + y = kz = 1
x + ky + z = 1
kx + y + z = 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know where to begin with this. Is there a systematic way to solve? It seems empirical to me but that doesn't make sense either.

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't calculus. Did you learn about matrices ? Inverting them and determinants and such ?

(Please check the double = sign in the first eqn)

Yes, I know about matrices and determinants.
z +y + kz = 1
x + ky +z = 1
kx + y + z = 1

Robb said:
Yes, I know about matrices and determinants.
z +y + kz = 1
x + ky +z = 1
kx + y + z = 1
So what's the matrix of the system and what the determinant?

fresh_42 said:
So what's the matrix of the system and what the determinant?
You may find this useful http://www.ulaff.net/LAFF-N2LW.html
I took the edX course as a Linear Algebra refresher, and it was worth the effort.

For simple 2 or 3 variable systems, Cramer's rule should work for you.

A = 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1

detA = 0

Robb said:
A = 1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1
1 1 1 1

detA = 0
With Det(A) = 0, there are two possibilities: there is No Solution, or Infinite Solutions. Which one applies here? When k does not equal 1, what can you say about the system?

When k does not equal 1 the determinant is nonzero (implying a unique solution) and when k equals 1 the equations are equal so there are infinitely many solutions.

Likes scottdave
Actually, A is a square matrix (3x3) rather than the (3x4) you showed.

scottdave said:
Actually, A is a square matrix (3x3) rather than the (3x4) you showed.

Right, I used the augmented matrix...sorry.

Hi Robb,

You have me wondering about your matrix: you should realize ##k## is an unknown coefficient and your matrix in fact looks like $$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & k \\
1 & k & 1 \\
k & 1 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$$and the equation like
$$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & 1 & k \\
1 & k & 1 \\
k & 1 & 1
\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x\\y\\z \end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix} 1\\1\\1 \end{pmatrix} $$

Robb said:
Right, I used the augmented matrix...sorry.

IMHO using matrices on this problem is a great waste of time; better to just do what people did a hundred years before matrices were invented. In other words, just apply Gaussian elimination: use the first equation to solve for x in terms of y and z, then substitute that expression for x into the second and third equations. That will give you two equations in y and z, and if you actually write them out in detail the solution will become---if not blindingly obvious---at least straightforward.

Likes scottdave

Related to Find values of k in this linear system

Question 1: How do I find the value of k in a linear system?

The value of k in a linear system can be found by solving the system of equations. This can be done through various methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. Once you have solved for the other variables, you can plug them into one of the equations to solve for k.

Question 2: What is the importance of finding the value of k in a linear system?

The value of k in a linear system represents the slope of the line. It is important to find this value as it can help determine the relationship between the variables in the system and can be used to make predictions about the data.

Question 3: Can there be more than one value of k in a linear system?

Yes, there can be more than one value of k in a linear system. This can happen when the system has infinitely many solutions, meaning that the equations are representing the same line and any value of k would satisfy the system.

Question 4: What if the linear system has no solution for k?

If the linear system has no solution for k, it means that there is no value of k that would satisfy all of the equations in the system. This could happen if the equations are representing parallel lines, which do not intersect and have no solution.

Question 5: Can I use technology to find the value of k in a linear system?

Yes, you can use technology such as graphing calculators or online solvers to find the value of k in a linear system. However, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and methods for finding the value of k in order to verify the accuracy of the technology's results.