Find value of K for differential equation to be exact

This is what you should always do when you solve a diff. eqn. In this case, you can see that the diff. equation is not exact, so you have to use some other method, like an integrating factor to solve it.Yes, looks good.To check, take the total differential of both sides. (I mistakely said total derivative earlier.)Your solution F(x, y) = C, where ##F(x, y) = 5x^2y^4 + xy^3 - x^2##Taking the total differential of both sides, we get d(F(x, y)) = d(C)or, ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial F}{
masterchiefo

Homework Statement

Hello everyone,
I need to find K for the following differential equation to be exact.
(y3+kxy4-2*x)dx +(3xy2 +20x2y3)dy=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dM/dy = d/dy(y3+kxy4-2*x) = 4*k*y3*x+3*y2

dN/dx =d/dx(3xy2 +20x2y3) = 40*x*y3+3*y2

After that I really have no idea how to continue this.

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have done 98% of it. What value of k makes the two expressions equal?

masterchiefo said:

Homework Statement

Hello everyone,
I need to find K for the following differential equation to be exact.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

dM/dy = d/dy(y3+kxy4-2*x) = 4*k*y3*x+3*y2

dN/dx =d/dx(3xy2 +20x2y3) = 40*x*y3+3*y2

After that I really have no idea how to continue this.
Your diff. equation will be exact if My = Nx; that is, if 4kxy3 + 3y2 = 40xy3 + 3y2. What does k have to be so that the two expressions are identically equal?

Mark44 said:
Your diff. equation will be exact if My = Nx; that is, if 4kxy3 + 3y2 = 40xy3 + 3y2. What does k have to be so that the two expressions are identically equal?

davidmoore63@y said:
You have done 98% of it. What value of k makes the two expressions equal?
oh wow I am so sleepy.

K have to be 10.
But in this particular equation its pretty easy to spot out, but what if both part is very different, how do I proceed?

masterchiefo said:
oh wow I am so sleepy.

K have to be 10.
But in this particular equation its pretty easy to spot out, but what if both part is very different, how do I proceed?
Yes, k = 10. If the equation isn't exact, there are several alternatives, but they are too involved to explain in a small space like this. If you read ahead in your book, they might have some discussion of these techniques.

Likes masterchiefo
Mark44 said:
Yes, k = 10. If the equation isn't exact, there are several alternatives, but they are too involved to explain in a small space like this. If you read ahead in your book, they might have some discussion of these techniques.
thanks also, to find the solution of current equation after finding k=10

I do
integral(40*x*y3+3*y2)dx = 20*x2*y3+3*x*y2
integral(40*x*y3+3*y2)dy =10*y4*x+y3

I look for same terms in both results, but here I see that there isnt.

so c= 20*x2*y3+3*x*y2+ 10*y4*x+y3

is that correct ?

masterchiefo said:
thanks also, to find the solution of current equation after finding k=10

I do
integral(40*x*y3+3*y2)dx = 20*x2*y3+3*x*y2
integral(40*x*y3+3*y2)dy =10*y4*x+y3

I look for same terms in both results, but here I see that there isnt.

so c= 20*x2*y3+3*x*y2+ 10*y4*x+y3

is that correct ?
No. Integrate M with respect to x, keeping in mind that there might be a "constant" of integration that would be either a constant or a function of y alone, say g(y).
Then integrate N with respect to y, also keeping in mind that there could be a "constant" of integration that would be a constant or a function of x alone, say h(x).

What you're doing here is assuming that there is an equation F(x, y) = C. If you take the total derivative of both sides, you get
$$\frac{\partial F}{\partial x} dx + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y} dy = 0$$
Here, M = ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}## and N = ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}##, and you're trying to reconstruct F from its two partial derivatives.

Mark44 said:
No. Integrate M with respect to x, keeping in mind that there might be a "constant" of integration that would be either a constant or a function of y alone, say g(y).
Then integrate N with respect to y, also keeping in mind that there could be a "constant" of integration that would be a constant or a function of x alone, say h(x).
I don't understand.

M(x,y) = 40*x*y3+3*y2
N(x,y)= 40*x*y3+3*y2

I don't simply integrate each ?

masterchiefo said:
I don't understand.

M(x,y) = 40*x*y3+3*y2
N(x,y)= 40*x*y3+3*y2

I don't simply integrate each ?
From the original problem, M = y3 + 10xy4, and N = 3xy2 + 40xy3.

What you have above are My and Nx. The condition for exactness is that these two partials should be equal. To solve the diff. eqn, you need to do as I suggest in my previous post.

Likes masterchiefo
Mark44 said:
From the original problem, M = y3 + 10xy4, and N = 3xy2 + 40xy3.

What you have above are My and Nx. The condition for exactness is that these two partials should be equal. To solve the diff. eqn, you need to do as I suggest in my previous post.
= integral(y3+10xy4-2*x)dx
= x2*(5*y4-1)+x*y3 +h(y)
= x2*5*y4-x2+x*y3 +h(y)
h(y) = n/a

integral(3xy2 +20x2y3)dy
= 5*y4*x2+y3*x +g(x)
g(x) = -x2

c= x2*5*y4-x2+x*y3

masterchiefo said:
= integral(y3+10xy4-2*x)dx
= x2*(5*y4-1)+x*y3 +h(y)
= x2*5*y4-x2+x*y3 +h(y)
h(y) = n/a

integral(3xy2 +20x2y3)dy
= 5*y4*x2+y3*x +g(x)
g(x) = -x2

c= x2*5*y4-x2+x*y3
Yes, looks good.

To check, take the total differential of both sides. (I mistakely said total derivative earlier.)

Your solution F(x, y) = C, where ##F(x, y) = 5x^2y^4 + xy^3 - x^2##
Taking the total differential of both sides, we get d(F(x, y)) = d(C)
or, ##\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}dy = 0##
With the partial derivatives calculated, you should get your original diff. equation.

Likes masterchiefo

Related to Find value of K for differential equation to be exact

What is the general process for finding the value of K for a differential equation to be exact?

The general process for finding the value of K for a differential equation to be exact involves using a set of criteria and techniques to manipulate the equation and determine the value of K. This may include using partial derivatives, integrating factors, and checking for exactness.

What is the significance of finding the value of K for a differential equation to be exact?

Finding the value of K for a differential equation to be exact is significant because it allows us to solve the equation and obtain an accurate solution. It ensures that the equation follows a specific set of rules and is not missing any terms or factors.

What are the common methods used to find the value of K for a differential equation to be exact?

The common methods used to find the value of K for a differential equation to be exact include using integrating factors, checking for exactness, and using partial derivatives to manipulate the equation. Other methods may also be used depending on the specific equation.

What are some challenges that may arise when trying to find the value of K for a differential equation to be exact?

Some challenges that may arise when trying to find the value of K for a differential equation to be exact include complex equations with multiple variables, equations with non-constant coefficients, and equations that do not have an exact solution.

How can the value of K for a differential equation to be exact impact the overall solution?

The value of K for a differential equation to be exact can greatly impact the overall solution. If the value of K is incorrect, the solution may be inaccurate or even impossible to obtain. However, by finding the correct value of K, we can ensure a precise and valid solution to the equation.