Find time given a force with respect to displacement

In summary: What if you repeat the above calculation, but you integrate from 0 to some arbitrary value of x between 0 and b?...If you integrate from 0 to x, you get:In summary, the homework statement asks if there is a way to find a general formula for the time it takes from displacement 0 to 20. The force is acting on an object, pushing it horizontally. Assume no friction and no air resistance. The attempt at a solution is to integrate Force with respect to Displacement (F(x)) over x. Newton's II law is used to get a second-order linear ordinary differential equation. It is possible to solve this equation, but it is more work than just writing Newton's II law down
Kiwigami

Homework Statement

With a function that gives Force with respect to Displacement (F(x) = 2000-100x), is there a way to find a general formula for the time it takes from displacement 0 to 20? The force is acting on an object, pushing it horizontally. Assume no friction and no air resistance.

Homework Equations

Force with respect to Displacement (x):
F(x) = 2000-100x
At 0 displacement, there's 2000 Newton of force acting on the object, and the force linearly decreases until there's no force at 20 meters away and beyond.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Work = ∫ from 0 to b of (F * dx) = ∫ from 0 to b of (2000-100x) dx = -50(b- 40)b
Work = Final Kinetic Energy - Initial Kinetic Energy. Initially, the object is stationary with no initial velocity, so I'm assuming that the initial Kinetic Energy is 0.

Work(b) = Kinetic Energy(b) = -50(b - 40)b = 0.5mv^2.

Solving for v, I get: v(b) = sqrt((2/m) * -50(b - 40)b)

From here, I'm tempted to plug velocity into this formula (Displacement = Velocity * Time) and solve for time, but I feel like this won't work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you only need Newtons II law to solve this. You get 2. order differencial equation. General formula has mass as variable.

Kiwigami said:
Displacement = Velocity * Time
That is only true for constant velocity. The general expression is the integral of velocity wrt time. That will give you a differential equation to solve.
olgerm said:
I think you only need Newtons II law to solve this. You get 2. order differencial equation. General formula has mass as variable.
The first integration stage from that equation produces the energy relation Kiwigami obtained, so there is no benefit in going that route.

haruspex said:
The first integration stage from that equation produces the energy relation Kiwigami obtained, so there is no benefit in going that route.
I meant integrating over time.

olgerm said:
I meant integrating over time.
How are you going to do that, given acceleration as a function of distance?

haruspex said:
How are you going to do that, given acceleration as a function of distance?
just write Newton's II law(##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=F/m##) and replace F to function, that he gave. Doing that will result getting second-order linear ordinary differential equation. Also is known that displacement and speed at time 0 are 0.

olgerm said:
just write Newton's II law(##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=F/m##) and replace F to function, that he gave. Doing that will result getting second-order linear ordinary differential equation. Also is known that displacement and speed at time 0 are 0.
You did not answer my question. How are you going to integrate F, a function of x, with respect to time?

haruspex said:
How are you going to integrate F, a function of x, with respect to time?
By writing Newton's II law(##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=F/m##) and replacing force F to function, that he gave and taking undefined time-integral of both sides. Taking this integral is not necessary.
##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=\frac{2000-100x}{m}## ⇔ ##x+k_1+k_2 \cdot t=\iint(dt^2 \cdot \frac{2000-100x}{m})## .
by ##x(0)=0## and ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}(0)=0## we know that ##k_1=0## and ##k_2=0##.

Last edited:
olgerm said:
By writing Newton's II law(##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=F/m##) and replacing force F to function, that he gave and taking undefined time-integral of both sides. Taking this integral is not necessary.
##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=\frac{2000-100x}{m}## ⇔ ##x+k_1+k_2 \cdot t=\iint(dt^2 \cdot \frac{2000-100x}{m})## .
by ##x(0)=0## and ##\frac{\partial x}{\partial t}(0)=0## we know that ##k_1=0## and ##k_2=0##.
I ask a third time, how are you going to perform that integral of x wrt time? Writing down the integral doesn't answer it, you actually need to integrate it.

haruspex said:
how are you going to perform that integral of x wrt time? Writing down the integral doesn't answer it, you actually need to integrate it.
It (##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=\frac{2000-100x}{m}##) is called differential equation. Before solving it I can't find that ##\iint(dt^2 \cdot \frac{2000-100x}{m})+k_3+k_4 \cdot t= c_2 \cdot sin(\frac{10 \cdot t}{\sqrt{m}}) + c_1 \cdot cos(\frac{10\cdot t}{\sqrt{m}}) +20##
, but after solving it I can.

olgerm said:
It (##\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial t^2}=\frac{2000-100x}{m}##) is called differential equation. Before solving it I can't find that ##\iint(dt^2 \cdot \frac{2000-100x}{m})+k_3+k_4 \cdot t= c_2 \cdot sin(\frac{10 \cdot t}{\sqrt{m}}) + c_1 \cdot cos(\frac{10\cdot t}{\sqrt{m}}) +20##
, but after solving it I can.
But having solved the D.E. by some other method, you do not need to do this integral, so writing it out as a double integral of x wrt t was a complete waste of time. Including mine.

Kiwigami said:

[/B]
Work = ∫ from 0 to b of (F * dx) = ∫ from 0 to b of (2000-100x) dx = -50(b- 40)b
Work = Final Kinetic Energy - Initial Kinetic Energy. Initially, the object is stationary with no initial velocity, so I'm assuming that the initial Kinetic Energy is 0.

What if you repeat the above calculation, but you integrate from 0 to some arbitrary value of x between 0 and b? Would you then be able to obtain an expression for the velocity as a function of x?

Kiwigami said:

Homework Statement

With a function that gives Force with respect to Displacement (F(x) = 2000-100x), is there a way to find a general formula for the time it takes from displacement 0 to 20? The force is acting on an object, pushing it horizontally. Assume no friction and no air resistance.

Homework Equations

Force with respect to Displacement (x):
F(x) = 2000-100x
At 0 displacement, there's 2000 Newton of force acting on the object, and the force linearly decreases until there's no force at 20 meters away and beyond.

[/B]

From here, I'm tempted to plug velocity into this formula (Displacement = Velocity * Time) and solve for time, but I feel like this won't work.
Things simplify if you recognize that you can write ##F = -100(x-20)##, so in terms of the new displacement variable ##y = x - 20## the force law is just ##F = - 100y##. This is Hooke's law (for stretching forces in a spring), so a Google search on "Hookes law" might be very helpful.

Last edited:
Likes TSny

Related to Find time given a force with respect to displacement

What is the equation for finding time given a force with respect to displacement?

The equation for finding time given a force with respect to displacement is t = Fd, where t represents time, F represents force, and d represents displacement.

How do you calculate time using force and displacement?

To calculate time using force and displacement, you can use the equation t = Fd. Simply substitute the values for force and displacement into the equation to find the time.

What units are used for force and displacement in the equation?

The units used for force and displacement in the equation are typically measured in Newtons (N) for force and meters (m) for displacement.

Can this equation be used for any type of force?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of force as long as the units are consistent. For example, if the force is given in pounds (lbs), the displacement should also be given in units of feet (ft).

Is there a different equation for finding time given a force with respect to displacement in different directions?

No, the equation t = Fd can be used regardless of the direction of the force. However, if the force is not in the same direction as the displacement, vector calculations may be necessary.