Find Thevenin equivalent, but off by a small amount

In summary, the homework statement says to apply source transformation to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit. Simplifying the far left current source to get 35V and 50Ω gives the correct answer.
Color_of_Cyan

Homework Statement

Apply source transformation to find the Thevenin equivalent circuit

Homework Equations

voltage division, source transformation

The Attempt at a Solution

Simplify the far left current source to get

Then Vth of this = (50V + 20V)*(100/200)

= 35V

and Rth of it = 100||100 = 50Ω

so now:Then Vth of this = (35V - 10V)*(100/150)

= 16.6667V

Rth of it = 50||100 = 33.333Ωso finally this:

And then the final Vth I got

= 16.6667*(100/133.3333)

VTh = 12.5V

but from the given solution from my professor the answer is really 10V for the Thevenin voltage and she did the whole problem differently by instead making everything Norton equivalent instead (changing voltage sources to current sources and moving the resistors in front to parallel them instead). Shouldn't the answer still be the same though or did I just make a mistake somewhere?

I got the same RTh though which is

33.333||100 = 25Ω

RTh = 25Ω

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Color_of_Cyan said:
Then Vth of this = (50V + 20V)*(100/200)= 35V
and Rth of it = 100||100 = 50Ω
This is not correct: [itex]V_{th}=15V[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you consider the option of first converting all the voltage sources to current sources? Can you see any advantage that might bring?

szynkasz said:
This is not correct: [itex]V_{th}=15V[/itex]

So you can't add the voltage sources with each other in same direction here?

Here it's unique because even with that though I guess you would add 10V to the next simplification, thereby still getting 25V for the next simplification.

gneill said:
Did you consider the option of first converting all the voltage sources to current sources? Can you see any advantage that might bring?

No, but I see it; you do that and then just use KCL and still get Thevenin resistance / voltage. I just can't seem to get the same answer doing it this way though so I think I'm missing something.

Color_of_Cyan said:
No, but I see it; you do that and then just use KCL and still get Thevenin resistance / voltage. I just can't seem to get the same answer doing it this way though so I think I'm missing something.

Everything ends up in parallel. Just gather all the currents into one, gather all the resistors into one. You end up with a simple Norton model which can be converted to its Thevenin equivalent rather trivially.

Color_of_Cyan said:

What you calculated is a voltage on resistor. To get [itex]V_{th}[/itex] you have to subtract the source voltage :[itex]35V-20V=15V[/itex]. The next simplification gives:

[itex]V_{th}=(15-10)\cdot\frac{100}{150}+10=\frac{40}{3}V[/itex]

Last edited:
Color_of_Cyan said:
If in doubt, work it out a couple of ways. If the answers don't match up, determine where your thinking is wrong.

Output voltage = 50V - the drop across the 100 Ω
The loop current = 70V / 200Ω, so output voltage = ...

Good luck with your circuit analysis course! :smile:

Related to Find Thevenin equivalent, but off by a small amount

1. How do I find the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent of a circuit can be found by replacing all of the components with their equivalent resistance, and then calculating the voltage and current at the load. The voltage at the load will be the Thevenin voltage, and the equivalent resistance will be the Thevenin resistance.

2. What is the purpose of finding the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit?

The Thevenin equivalent allows for a complex circuit to be simplified to a single voltage source and single resistor, making it easier to analyze and design. This is especially useful when trying to determine the behavior of a circuit at a specific load.

3. Can the Thevenin equivalent be off by a small amount?

Yes, the Thevenin equivalent can be off by a small amount due to the approximation involved in finding the equivalent resistance. However, this small difference is usually negligible and does not significantly affect the analysis or design of the circuit.

4. How can I minimize the difference when finding the Thevenin equivalent?

To minimize the difference, it is important to use precise calculations and measurements when finding the equivalent resistance. Additionally, using more components or finer resistance values can also help reduce the error in the Thevenin equivalent.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Thevenin equivalent?

The Thevenin equivalent is a useful tool for simplifying circuits, but it is not always applicable. It is only valid for linear circuits, and may not accurately represent the behavior of a circuit with nonlinear components or varying parameters. It is important to understand the limitations of the Thevenin equivalent and consider its applicability when using it in circuit analysis and design.