Find Theta & Mass of Box Using Forces & Pulleys

In summary: the y-component of the force on pulley 2 due to the tension of the cord is negative if you consider the y-axis to be vertical and upward to be the positive direction.
Max0007

Homework Statement

Note that the vector F is 50N.
I need to find Theta and the Mass of the Box(M).

http://i5.minus.com/ib08xMuKZxTSbc.png

Homework Equations

What I have so far:

Pulley 2:
FY: T2cos(20) - T1sin(60) + Fsin(45) + T2sin(30) = 0
FX: T2sin(20) + T1cos(60) + Fcos(45) - T2cos(30) = 0

Pulley 1:
Fx= T1sin(Theta) + T1cos(60) = 0
Fy= - T1cos(Theta) - T1sin(60) = 0

Box (M);
Fx= T2sin(20) - T1sin(Theta) = 0
Fy= -Wm +T2cos(20) + T1cos(Theta) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are using x's and y's along with the sin's and cos's. I think this is confusing because T2y = T2cos(20). Maybe re-write the equations without the x's and y's and solve for M and theta,

At first, concentrate your efforts at pulley 2. You have two equations with two unknowns there!

Max0007 said:
FY: T2ycos(20) - T1ysin(60) + Fysin(45) + T2ysin(30) = 0

Perhaps you mean:
[itex] T1 \sin(70 deg) + T1 \sin(30 deg) = |F| \sin(45 deg) + T2 \sin(60 deg) [/itex]

Stephen Tashi said:
Perhaps you mean:
[itex] T1 \sin(70 deg) + T1 \sin(30 deg) = |F| \sin(45 deg) + T2 \sin(60 deg) [/itex]
Where did the 70 deg come from?

Max0007 said:
Where did the 70 deg come from?

I took the complementary angle for 20 deg. You could use cos(20 deg) if you prefer. I find it simpler to see only sin(..)'s for y components.

Stephen Tashi said:
I took the complementary angle for 20 deg. You could use cos(20 deg) if you prefer. I find it simpler to see only sin(..)'s for y components.
I am little confused, you see the angle 30 deg, that force is going which way? right or left.

Max0007 said:
I am little confused, you see the angle 30 deg, that force is going which way? right or left.

Do you mean the force on pulley 2 due to the tension in the cord that makes the 30 deg angle? It can be regarded as having two components. One component pulls down, the other component pulls to the right.

Stephen Tashi said:
Do you mean the force on pulley 2 due to the tension in the cord that makes the 30 deg angle? It can be regarded as having two components. One component pulls down, the other component pulls to the right.
I mean the direction of the Vector T is it negative or positive in that case on the 30 deg one.

FY:+ T2sin(30) OR - T2sin(30)
FX: - T2cos(30) OR + T2cos(30) which is the correct one?

Last edited:
Max0007 said:
I mean the direction of the Vector T is it negative or positive in that case on the 30 deg one.

I don't know what you mean by "the vector T". The tension in a cord is not a force. It is a property of the cord that let's one deduce the magnitudes of various forces. Tension is a non-negative number. At a particular end of the cord the tension causes a force. A force in 2-D is neither "positive" or "negative". It is the individual components of the force that can be positive or negative. The x-component of the force on pulley 2 due to the tension of the cord is positive if you consider x-axis to be horizontal with the positive direction to the right. The y-component of that force is negative if you consider the y-axis to be vertical and upward to be the positive direction. The equation for the y-components of the forces on pulley 2 can be written:

[itex] -T1 \sin(70 deg) - T1 \sin(30 deg) + |F| \sin(45 deg) + T2 \sin(60 deg) = 0 [/itex]

Stephen Tashi said:
I don't know what you mean by "the vector T". The tension in a cord is not a force. It is a property of the cord that let's one deduce the magnitudes of various forces. Tension is a non-negative number. At a particular end of the cord the tension causes a force. A force in 2-D is neither "positive" or "negative". It is the individual components of the force that can be positive or negative. The x-component of the force on pulley 2 due to the tension of the cord is positive if you consider x-axis to be horizontal with the positive direction to the right. The y-component of that force is negative if you consider the y-axis to be vertical and upward to be the positive direction. The equation for the y-components of the forces on pulley 2 can be written:

[itex] -T1 \sin(70 deg) - T1 \sin(30 deg) + |F| \sin(45 deg) + T2 \sin(60 deg) = 0 [/itex]
Why is it negative T1 sin(70 deg) ? How I see it its positive? If I use T1*cos20 would it be positive ?

Max0007 said:
Why is it negative T1 sin(70 deg) ? How I see it its positive? If I use T1*cos20 would it be positive ?
Also are my other equations good? if I missed a negative I will get wrong answers.

Max0007 said:

The y-component of force on pulley 2 due to the tension T1 is downward. So it is considered negative regardless of whether you use cos(20 deg) or sin(70 deg) to express it.

Max0007 said:
Also are my other equations good? if I missed a negative I will get wrong answers.

The notation in your equations doesn't make sense. Rewrite them using proper notation, as paisiello2 suggested.

Stephen Tashi said:
The y-component of force on pulley 2 due to the tension T1 is downward. So it is considered negative regardless of whether you use cos(20 deg) or sin(70 deg) to express it.

The notation in your equations doesn't make sense. Rewrite them using proper notation, as paisiello2 suggested.
I already removed the y/x from my equations just after he posted. It did not update for you?

Max0007 said:
I already removed the y/x from my equations just after he posted. It did not update for you?

They did update.

On pulley 2, there are two components forces pulling up and two pulling down. There should be 2 terms with minus signs.
On pulley 2, there are two components of force pulling left and two pulling right, There should be 2 terms with minus signs.

On pulley 1, you didn't account for the forces exerted by the support that holds the axis of the pulley. (It isn't useful to write equations for pulley 1.)

Stephen Tashi said:
They did update.

On pulley 2, there are two components forces pulling up and two pulling down. There should be 2 terms with minus signs.
On pulley 2, there are two components of force pulling left and two pulling right, There should be 2 terms with minus signs.

On pulley 1, you didn't account for the forces exerted by the support that holds the axis of the pulley. (It isn't useful to write equations for pulley 1.)
Looks like I cannot edit my thread anymore so here I will update;

Pulley 2:
FY: -T2cos(20) - T1sin(60) + Fsin(45) + T2sin(30) = 0
FX: T2sin(20)+ Fcos(45) -T1cos(60) - T2cos(30) = 0

Box (M);
Fx= T2sin(20) - T1sin(Theta) = 0
Fy= -Wm +T2cos(20) + T1cos(Theta) = 0

I have the Calculator Ti - Nspire, I think with that I can easily use the solve function and find T2 and T1 in Pulley 2, then with T1 and T2 I will be able to find Wm and Theta is that right ?

Thank you so much for helping me.

You have sign mistakes in the equations for pulley 2.

Stephen Tashi said:
You have sign mistakes in the equations for pulley 2.
Pulley 2:
FY: -T2cos(20) + T1sin(60) + Fsin(45) - T2sin(30) = 0
FX: T2sin(20)+ Fcos(45) -T1cos(60) - T2cos(30) = 0

I think this is correct now.

There's still a sign error in the FX: equation.

Are you familiar with "free body diagrams" ?

Stephen Tashi said:
There's still a sign error in the FX: equation.

Are you familiar with "free body diagrams" ?
FX: -T2sin(20)+ Fcos(45) -T1cos(60) + T2cos(30) = 0
Here we go. I am sleepy so I make stupid mistakes.

Max0007 said:
FX: -T2sin(20)+ Fcos(45) -T1cos(60) + T2cos(30) = 0
Here we go. I am sleepy so I make stupid mistakes.

That's correct.-

Stephen Tashi said:
That's correct.-
Thank you so much for the help Stephen, you helped me a lot. I truly appreciate the time you took to help me and explaining me things.

Related to Find Theta & Mass of Box Using Forces & Pulleys

What is the purpose of finding the theta and mass of a box using forces and pulleys?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the weight and angle of a box by using forces and pulleys. This information can then be used to calculate the forces acting on the box and its motion.

What equipment is needed to perform this experiment?

To perform this experiment, you will need a box, a pulley system, a weight scale, and a protractor. You may also need a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distances between the pulleys and the box.

How do I find the theta and mass of the box using forces and pulleys?

To find the theta and mass of the box, first set up the pulley system with the box attached to one end and the weight scale attached to the other. Measure the distance between the pulleys and the box, as well as the angle of the pulley system. Next, add weights to the scale until the box is lifted off the ground. Use the weight scale reading and the angle measurement to calculate the weight and angle of the box.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the results?

The accuracy of the results can be affected by various factors such as friction in the pulley system, the weight of the pulleys themselves, and the precision of the equipment used. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to obtain accurate results.

What are some real-world applications of this experiment?

This experiment has real-world applications in fields such as engineering and physics. It can be used to determine the forces acting on objects in pulley systems, which is useful in designing and building structures such as cranes and elevators. It can also be used to study the principles of motion and forces in physics.