Find the voltage across a capacitor in a LRC circuit

In summary, the equation for the ratio of voltage out to voltage in in a series LRC circuit is Vout/Vin = 1/(C*omega*sqrt(R^2 + (omega*L - 1/(C*omega))^2)). This takes into account the complex impedance of the circuit and the magnitudes of the voltages.
splatcat
thank you for any help in advance.

The question is; In a series LRC circuit, find an equation that shows the ratio of Voltage out [the voltage measured over the capacitor] over the voltage in from an A/C source as a function of L R C and omega

Starting with this equation:

Vs = sqrt(VR2 + (VL - VC)2)

The attempt at a solution, I have no idea how close/right this is as I do not have the solutions,

Vout / Vs = 1/(C*omega*sqrt(R2 + (omega*L - 1/C*omega)2))

[/b]

Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated :) thanks

Stu

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
splatcat said:

The question is; In a series LRC circuit, find an equation that shows the ratio of Voltage out [the voltage measured over the capacitor] over the voltage in from an A/C source as a function of L R C and omega

The attempt at a solution, I have no idea how close/right this is as I do not have the solutions,

Vout / Vs = 1/(C*omega*sqrt(R2 + (omega*L - 1/C*omega)2))

[/b]

Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated :) thanks

Stu

Welcome to the PF.

Do you know how to express the complex impedance of each element in this circuit?

thank you for your response, your question helped direct my reading. I think I have a better idea of what I am doing now. I have come to a new solution. Is it any closer?
I have some understanding of complex impedance now.

w = omega
Vout/Vin = (R + iLw) / (R + i(wL + 1/wC) )

splatcat said:

Vout / Vs = 1/(C*omega*sqrt(R2 + (omega*L - 1/C*omega)2))Stu

That is the correct solution if the ratio of the magnitudes was the question.

ehild

splatcat said:
thank you for your response, your question helped direct my reading. I think I have a better idea of what I am doing now. I have come to a new solution. Is it any closer?
I have some understanding of complex impedance now.

w = omega
Vout/Vin = (R + iLw) / (R + i(wL + 1/wC) )

Wrong. The voltage across the capacitor was the question. And the complex impedance of the whole circuit is R + i(wL - 1/wC).

ehild

(Voltage amplitudes was the quesion :) ) Sorry I did mean to put a minus sign in there instead of a + sign. However does the system not work like a potential divider? Only resistances are impedances?

Stu

splatcat said:
(Voltage amplitudes was the quesion :) ) Sorry I did mean to put a minus sign in there instead of a + sign. However does the system not work like a potential divider? Only resistances are impedances?

Stu

Yes, but you need add up the square of the real and imaginary parts, and then take the square root to get the resultant impedance, as you did in your first post.

ehild

Thank you very much for your help. I am pretty sure I understand where I have gone wrong :)

Related to Find the voltage across a capacitor in a LRC circuit

What is a LRC circuit?

A LRC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and can be found in many electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers.

What is the purpose of finding the voltage across a capacitor in a LRC circuit?

The voltage across a capacitor indicates the amount of electrical potential energy stored in the capacitor. In a LRC circuit, the voltage across the capacitor can affect the overall behavior and performance of the circuit.

How do you find the voltage across a capacitor in a LRC circuit?

To find the voltage across a capacitor in a LRC circuit, you can use the formula Vc = Q / C, where Vc is the voltage across the capacitor, Q is the charge stored in the capacitor, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. You can also use Kirchhoff's voltage law to calculate the voltage across the capacitor.

What factors can affect the voltage across a capacitor in a LRC circuit?

The voltage across a capacitor in a LRC circuit can be affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the inductance of the inductor, the resistance of the resistor, and the frequency of the alternating current passing through the circuit.

What are some real-life applications of LRC circuits?

LRC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and computers. They are also used in power transmission systems to regulate voltage and current. Additionally, LRC circuits are used in electronic filters to block or pass certain frequencies.