Find the total magnification for a system of 2 converging lenses

The total magnification is calculated by multiplying the individual magnifications of each lens. In summary, the total magnification of the system is 3.42.
yddet12

Homework Statement

There are two converging lenses. The object of the first lens (i.e. the lens on the left) is 17.5 cm to the left of the first lens, and the resulting image from the first lens is 23.33 cm to the right of the first lens.

The second lens is 40 cm to the right of the first lens. The image formed by the first lens is used as the object for this second lens, and the new image, formed by the second lens, is 42.85 cm to the right of the second lens.

Find the total magnification of the system. (i.e. magnification of the second image from the original object).

Homework Equations

Mtotal = M1 * M2 = (-di/do) * (-di/do)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got -1.33 for the magnification by the first lens and -2.57 for the magnification by the second lens, so the total magnification is -2.57*-1.33 = 3.42. Is this right? I'm a little unsure on this, so I wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct. There isn't much to this calculation.

Related to Find the total magnification for a system of 2 converging lenses

What is the formula for finding the total magnification of a system of 2 converging lenses?

The formula for finding the total magnification of a system of 2 converging lenses is M = M1 x M2, where M is the total magnification, M1 is the magnification of the first lens, and M2 is the magnification of the second lens.

What is the magnification of a single converging lens?

The magnification of a single converging lens is M = -d/i, where M is the magnification, d is the distance between the object and the lens, and i is the image distance.

How do I determine the magnification of each individual lens in the system?

To determine the magnification of each individual lens in the system, you can use the formula M = -d/i, where d is the distance between the object and the lens, and i is the image distance. You will need to calculate the distance and image distance for each lens separately.

Does the distance between the lenses affect the total magnification?

Yes, the distance between the lenses does affect the total magnification. The closer the lenses are to each other, the higher the total magnification will be. This is because the closer the lenses are, the stronger the combined effect of the lenses on the light passing through them.

Can the total magnification of a system of 2 converging lenses be greater than 1?

Yes, the total magnification of a system of 2 converging lenses can be greater than 1. This occurs when the magnification of each individual lens is greater than 1, or when one lens has a magnification greater than 1 and the other lens has a magnification less than 1. In this case, the total magnification will be the product of the individual magnifications and will be greater than 1.