Find the time it takes for bouncing ball to come to rest

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball with inelastic collisions and the goal of finding the total time it takes for the ball to come to rest. The first part of the conversation focuses on using conservation of energy and motion equations to find the time interval between bounces. The second part discusses using a geometric series to solve for the total time, with the common ratio being the square root of the energy loss factor. The final solution is T=2V/(g*(1-√k)).
freutel

Homework Statement

A ball, which is launched in the air with velocity V, has inelastic collisions with the floor: the kinetic energy after each collision is k times the kinetic energy before the collision, where k<1. Assume that the gravitational acceleration is constant: g [m/s^2]. I was asked to show that the time interval between the nth and the (n+1)th bounce is tn=(2V/g)*kn/2. This was pretty simple using conservation of energy and motion along straight-line equations. The second question asks me to find the total time T the bouncing ball takes to come to rest. This is where I am stuck.

Homework Equations

• Conservation of energy -> mgh=½mV2
  • after the nth bounce Kinetic Energyn = kn(½mV2) which is equal to ½m(vn)2.
  • height the ball reaches after the nth bounce -> hn=knV2/(2g)
  • Motion along straight-line equations -> v=at, x=x0+v0t+½at2
  • Time interval between the nth and the (nth+1)th bounce -> tn=(2V/g)*kn/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly did not know where to start but I started with the thought that if the ball stops bouncing it means that hn would be zero. I splitted the time interval equation in (V/g)*kn/2 + (V/g)*kn/2) = tn. With the height of the ball equation i subbed one part of the time interval equation which results in tn=(V/g)*kn/2 + √(2hn/g). I moved everything except the height part to the left and when removing the square root I got (tn)2 - (V2/g2)*kn = 2hn/g. It is clear that for hn to be zero then (tn)2 has to be equal to (V2/g2)*kn. I have a feeling I'm drifting towards a wrong answer with this because I really do not know what to do now. Did I approach this problem correctly? If so, what do I have to do to finalize it and if not, I would really appreciate some help to push me in the right direction!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of something from your maths classes that might help to find the total time?

Now i came up with that the total time it will take is T=t0 + Σtn with n=1, 2, 3,...,. The energy that is lost after every bounce is also ½mv2(1-kn). The number of bounces needed is when kn approaches zero. That's all I know.
Now that I think of it, it may be impossible to know what n is with the data given. So maybe the proper answer is T=t0 + Σ(2V0/g)*kn/2 with n starting from 1 till the value of n when kn is close to zero so I guess till the value of n when n=klog(0,0001)

freutel said:
Now i came up with that the total time it will take is T=t0 + Σtn with n=1, 2, 3,...,. The energy that is lost after every bounce is also ½mv2(1-kn). The number of bounces needed is when kn approaches zero. That's all I know.
Now that I think of it, it may be impossible to know what n is with the data given. So maybe the proper answer is T=t0 + Σ(2V0/g)*kn/2 with n starting from 1 till the value of n when kn is close to zero so I guess till the value of n when n=klog(0,0001)

Yes, but think mathematically rather than physically. What kind of sum might you be dealing with?

It's power series right? With the power of k constantly increasing. I honestly do not know and I'm just saying stuff.

freutel said:
It's power series right? With the power of k constantly increasing. I honestly do not know and I'm just saying stuff.

It's a "geometric" series. Remember them?

Wow, I would seriously have never come up with that. Should have paid more attention in class. So I looked it up how to solve a geometric series (because I never quite learned how to do it in school) so i came up with this

T=t0 + t1 + t2 + t3 +... + tn.

T=(2V/g) + (2V/g)*√k + (2V/g)*√k2 + (2V/g)*√k3 + ... + (2V/g)*√kn

So the common ratio is √k

T - (√k)T=2V/g

T=2V/(g*(1-√k))

Thanks a lot PeroK!

Related to Find the time it takes for bouncing ball to come to rest

1. What is the formula for finding the time it takes for a bouncing ball to come to rest?

The formula for finding the time it takes for a bouncing ball to come to rest is t = √(2h/g), where t is the time, h is the initial height of the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do you measure the initial height of the ball?

You can measure the initial height of the ball by using a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance between the starting point and the highest point of the ball's trajectory.

3. What is the value of acceleration due to gravity?

The value of acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 m/s². This value may vary slightly depending on location and altitude.

4. Can the formula be used for any type of ball?

Yes, the formula for finding the time it takes for a bouncing ball to come to rest can be used for any type of ball as long as the initial height and acceleration due to gravity are known.

5. What factors can affect the time it takes for a bouncing ball to come to rest?

The time it takes for a bouncing ball to come to rest can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the elasticity of the ball, and the surface it bounces on. These factors can cause the ball to bounce for longer or shorter periods of time, resulting in a different time for it to come to rest.