Find the third harmonic (Sound Physics)

In summary, the third harmonic is a multiple of the fundamental frequency of a sound wave. It can be found by multiplying the fundamental frequency by three and contributes to the timbre, loudness, and pitch of a sound. It differs from the fundamental frequency in terms of frequency, wavelength, amplitude, and phase. While it can be heard by the human ear, it may not be as easily distinguishable as the fundamental frequency.
Divinite
Question: The frequencies of the first three harmonics of a 300 Hz square wave are 300 Hz, 900 Hz, and 1500 Hz. If the amplitude of the fundamental is 1.00 A, then the amplitudes of the second harmonic is _____ A, and the amplitude of the third harmonic is _____ A.

I found the answer to the second harmonic, by using the formula: An = 2/(pi*n). I did 2/(pi*2) and got 0.3183.

For the third harmonic I tried doing 2/(pi*3), which got me 0.2122, but that does not seem to be the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Update: The answer was correct, just not rounded properly.
Thanks.

Related to Find the third harmonic (Sound Physics)

1. What is the third harmonic?

The third harmonic is a multiple of the fundamental frequency of a sound wave. It is three times the frequency of the fundamental and has three times the wavelength.

2. How do you find the third harmonic of a sound wave?

The third harmonic can be found by multiplying the fundamental frequency by three. For example, if the fundamental frequency is 100 Hz, the third harmonic would be 300 Hz.

3. Why is the third harmonic important in sound physics?

The third harmonic, along with other harmonics, contributes to the timbre or quality of a sound. It also affects the overall loudness and pitch of the sound.

4. How does the third harmonic differ from the fundamental frequency?

The third harmonic has a higher frequency and shorter wavelength compared to the fundamental frequency. It also has a different amplitude and phase compared to the fundamental.

5. Can the third harmonic be heard by the human ear?

Yes, the third harmonic can be heard by the human ear. However, it may not be as easily distinguishable as the fundamental frequency and may contribute more to the overall timbre of the sound rather than its perceived pitch.