Find the Sum of this Alternating Series

In summary: I have to find other number series to see if I can solve them.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the sum of the series ∑ (cos(k*pi))/pi^k, which can be simplified to ∑ (-1/pi)^k. It is determined to be a geometric series, with a common ratio of -1/pi. By dividing the (k+1) term by the k term, the common ratio can be found and the series can be solved using the formula for a geometric series.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the sum of
starts at 0 to infinity ∑ (cos(k*pi))/pi^k

First, I determined that it does, indeed, converge with the alternating series test.
Second, I found the answer to be pi/(1+pi) via wolfram alpha.

But I am at a loss on how to find the answer here.

This is a geometric series, so I am trying to find the r value. If I can do that, then I can use the trick of first term/(1-r)

Correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Find the sum of

First, I determined that it does, indeed, converge with the alternating series test.

This is a geometric series, so I am trying to find the r value. If I can do that, then I can use the trick of first term/(1-r)

Correct?
It might be helpful to write the series without the cosine factor. All it contributes is +/- 1 each time.

Likes RJLiberator
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Find the sum of

Correct?
Why don't you just divide the ##k+1## term by the ##k## term to get ##r##?

Likes RJLiberator
Mark44 said:
It might be helpful to write the series without the cosine factor. All it contributes is +/- 1 each time.

So, with cos(k*pi) out, that would leave 1/pi^k. Therefore 1/pi^k = r? Hm.

LCKurtz said:
Why don't you just divide the ##k+1## term by the ##k## term to get ##r##?
k+1 term? Ok, let me try what I think you are saying:

k+1 term = value of 1, so k=1 and therefore cos(1pi)/pi^1 = -1/pi and the original k =0 term = cos(0pi)/pi^0 = 1. So, (-1/pi)/1 = -1/pi.

Hm, so if r = -1/pi then we can plug that into the first term/(1-r) equation, let's see:
First term = 1
(1-(-1/pi) = 1+1/pi
1/(1+1/pi)

If you multiple everything by pi, to simplify you get the answer of pi/pi+1 which is the correct answer.

Why did this work? Is there a trick I am not thinking of?

Thank you all. It seems I may have made a mechanical error with Mark44's suggestion. LcKurtz, do you know the definition/term of what you suggested so i can research it?

RJLiberator said:
If you multiple everything by pi, to simplify you get the answer of pi/pi+1 which is the correct answer.
No it's not. ##\frac{\pi}{\pi} + 1 = 2##.

I'm being picky, but you need parentheses like you used in your first post here. IOW, like this: π/(π + 1).

Likes RJLiberator
RJLiberator said:
So, with cos(k*pi) out, that would leave 1/pi^k. Therefore 1/pi^k = r?

Thank you all. It seems I may have made a mechanical error with Mark44's suggestion. LcKurtz, do you know the definition/term of what you suggested so i can research it?

## \cos k \pi =(-1)^k ## so you would have ##\sum_k \left(\frac{-1}{\pi}\right)^k ##
Mark44's suggestion should have led you to the same conclusion for r.

Likes RJLiberator
RJLiberator said:
So, with cos(k*pi) out, that would leave 1/pi^k. Therefore 1/pi^k = r? Hm.k+1 term? Ok, let me try what I think you are saying:

k+1 term = value of 1, so k=1 and therefore cos(1pi)/pi^1 = -1/pi and the original k =0 term = cos(0pi)/pi^0 = 1. So, (-1/pi)/1 = -1/pi.

Hm, so if r = -1/pi then we can plug that into the first term/(1-r) equation, let's see:
First term = 1
(1-(-1/pi) = 1+1/pi
1/(1+1/pi)

Why did this work? Is there a trick I am not thinking of?

A geometric series looks like $$
\sum_{k=0}^\infty ar^k$$where ##r## is the common ratio. The ##k+1## term is ##ar^{k+1}## and the ##k## term is ##ar^k##. When you divide them you get the common ratio ##r##, no matter what ##k## is. What you did is divide the ##k=1## term by the ##k=0## term. That doesn't tell you anything unless you already know it is a geometric series. What you did gave you the correct ratio because it is in fact a geometric series, but the correct way to get the ratio and show it is a geometric series is divide the ##k+1## term by the ##k## term and observe you always get the same answer.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent analysis, friends. I appreciate the words. Quite frankly, I am getting addicted to this series math.

Related to Find the Sum of this Alternating Series

1. What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a type of mathematical series in which the terms alternate between positive and negative values. This means that the terms in the series are not all the same sign, and they switch back and forth between being positive and negative.

2. How do you find the sum of an alternating series?

The sum of an alternating series can be found by adding up all of the terms in the series. However, it is important to note that for alternating series, the sum is not always the same as the value of the series. In order to find the actual sum of an alternating series, you may need to use a specific formula or mathematical technique.

3. What is the formula for finding the sum of an alternating series?

The formula for finding the sum of an alternating series is called the Leibniz formula. It states that the sum of an alternating series can be found by taking the limit as n approaches infinity of the partial sums of the series. This formula is often used for alternating series that do not have a specific pattern or easy method of finding the sum.

4. Can the sum of an alternating series be negative?

Yes, the sum of an alternating series can be negative. This is because the terms in an alternating series can switch between being positive and negative, resulting in a final sum that may be negative. It is important to note that the sum of an alternating series can also be positive or zero, depending on the specific series and its terms.

5. Are there any general rules for determining the convergence of an alternating series?

Yes, there are some general rules that can help determine the convergence of an alternating series. One important rule is the Alternating Series Test, which states that if the terms in an alternating series decrease in absolute value and approach zero, then the series converges. However, this test is not always sufficient, and other tests or techniques may be needed to determine the convergence of a specific alternating series.