Find the Sum of Roots^16 | x3 - x + 1 = 0 Equation | Homework Solution

• Thread starter terryds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots Sum
In summary, the homework statement is trying to determine the value of a16+b16+c16. TheAttempt at a Solution tried unsuccessfully to determine a b and c and then find out the value of any polynomial in a, b and c. Vieta's equations can be used to obtain an expression for the sum of the squares of the roots. However, squaring the equation again and again may not be the only way to do it.
terryds

Homework Statement

Roots of the equation x3 - x + 1 = 0 are a, b, and c.
Determine the value of a16+b16+c16 !

Homework Equations

For ax3+bx2+cx+d = 0
x1+x2+x3 = -b/a
x1 * x2 * x3= -d/a

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know how to determine the value of a + b+ c but not a^16+b^16+c^16...
I think I can factor a^16+b^16+c^16 using binomial (Pascal's triangle) but I think it will take too much time
Such a crazy problem in a two-hour test with 100 questions and no calculator...
Please help me how to solve this easily

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to determine a b and c and then you can find out the value of any polynomial in a, b and c! You know a+b+c, ab+bc+ca and abc!?

Last edited:
Let'sthink said:
Try to determine a b and c and then you can find out teh value of any polynomial in a, b and c!
How to?
I figured out 1 and -1 are not the roots.
How to find out the roots of the equation?

There is a third equation relating the three roots of a cubic to its coefficients.
The trick is to massage these three equations into the form you need.

Take it in stages. Start with just squaring the equation for b/a.

haruspex said:
There is a third equation relating the three roots of a cubic to its coefficients.
The trick is to massage these three equations into the form you need.

Take it in stages. Start with just squaring the equation for b/a.

I still don't get it. I don't understand what you meant

Last edited:
terryds said:
I still don't get it. I don't understand what you meant
You quoted two standard equations, one involving b/a and one involving d/a. There is a third one, involving c/a. Look up Vieta.
If you take the one involving b/a and square both sides, on the left you will have a sum of squares of the roots and some other terms. The other terms can be replaced using the equation you are missing. The result is that you can effectively extend Vieta's equations to obtain one for the sum of the squares of the roots.
Continuing in the same way, you can get expressions for sums of higher powers of the roots.

haruspex said:
You quoted two standard equations, one involving b/a and one involving d/a. There is a third one, involving c/a. Look up Vieta.
If you take the one involving b/a and square both sides, on the left you will have a sum of squares of the roots and some other terms. The other terms can be replaced using the equation you are missing. The result is that you can effectively extend Vieta's equations to obtain one for the sum of the squares of the roots.
Continuing in the same way, you can get expressions for sums of higher powers of the roots.
##
(a+b+c)^2 = -\frac{B}{A} \\
a^2 + b^2 + c^2 - 2 (ab+ac+bc) =\frac{B^2}{A^2} \\
a^2 + b^2 + c^2 - 2 (\frac{C}{A}) = \frac{B^2}{A^2}\\
a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = \frac{B^2}{A^2} + 2 (\frac{C}{A})\\
##

But, it's just power of 2.
So, should I square it again and again till the power reaches 16 ?
Is it the only way to do it?

terryds said:
##
(a+b+c)^2 = -\frac{B}{A} \\
a^2 + b^2 + c^2 - 2 (ab+ac+bc) =\frac{B^2}{A^2} \\
a^2 + b^2 + c^2 - 2 (\frac{C}{A}) = \frac{B^2}{A^2}\\
a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = \frac{B^2}{A^2} + 2 (\frac{C}{A})\\
##

But, it's just power of 2.
So, should I square it again and again till the power reaches 16 ?
Is it the only way to do it?
I don't know a better way.
You have a sign error in the second line above.

haruspex said:
I don't know a better way.
You have a sign error in the second line above.

##a^2+b^2+c^2 = \frac{B^2}{A^2} - 2 \frac{C}{A}##

Samy_A said:
I did it slightly differently than haruspex, it may or may not be more tedious.

You could notice that ##a³ =a-1##.
⇒ ##a^4 =a²-a##
⇒ ##a^8= (a²-a)² = \cdots ##
##a^8## may contain terms in ##a^4,a^3##,but you can replace them with the simpler expression in terms of ##a²,a##.
And then compute ##a^{16}## by squaring ##a^8##. After again simplifying you should get an expression for ##a^{16}## in terms of ##a²,a##.
The same of course holds for ##b^{16},c^{16}##, so adding the three, and using what you found with Vieta's formulas, should give the desired result.

##
a^8 = (a^2-a)^2 = a^4 - 2a^3 + a^2 = (a^2-a) - 2 (a-1) + a^2 = 2a^2 - 3a + 2 \\
a^{16} = (a^8)^2 = (2a^2 - 3a + 2)^2 = 4a^4 - 12 a^3 + 17 a^2 - 12a + 4 \\
= 4(a^2-a) - 12(a-1) + 17a^2 - 12a + 4 = 4a^2 -16a + 12 + 17a^2 - 12a + 4 \\
= 21a^2 - 28a + 16 \\

b^{16} = 21b^2 - 28b + 16 \\
c^{16} = 21c^2 - 28c + 16 \\

a^{16} + b^{16} + c^{16} = 21(a^2+b^2+c^2) - 28 (a+b+c) + 48 \\
a^{16} + b^{16} + c^{16} = 21((a+b+c)^2 - 2 (ab+ac+cb)) - 28 (a+b+c) + 48 \\
a^{16} + b^{16} + c^{16} = 21(0^2 - 2 (-1)) - 28 (0) + 48 = 21 (2) - 0 + 48 = 42+48 = 90
##

Thank you for your help @haruspex , @Samy_A ,@Let'sthink ! :smile:

Great!

Given this ...
terryds said:
Such a crazy problem in a two-hour test with 100 questions and no calculator...
... I wonder if there is some smart easy method.

Likes terryds
1 Doubt a question like this comes out of the blue. What have you been studying recently relevant?

2 In your 'relevant equations' you have given two out of three.

3 Look up Newton's theorem about sums of powers of roots.

Likes terryds
Samy_A said:
Great!

Given this ...

... I wonder if there is some smart easy method.
It can be accelerated with a convenient notation.
Define ##a_n=\Sigma_i \alpha_i^{2^n}## and ##b_n=\Sigma_{i< j} (\alpha_i\alpha_j)^{2^n}##.
Since the product of the roots is -1, it is not hard to show that ##a_n^2=a_{n+1}+2b_n## and for n>0 ##b_n^2=b_{n+1}+2a_n##. At n=0, the second equation is the same except for a sign change, but since a0=0 that makes no difference.
Having established those two equations, it is a rapid process to fill in a table even up to powers of 32. And yes, it gives a4=90.

It would be interesting to find the general solution of that pair of recurrence relations. I note that a5=8090, which does not have very many factors.

Likes Samy_A and terryds
epenguin said:
1 Doubt a question like this comes out of the blue. What have you been studying recently relevant?

2 In your 'relevant equations' you have given two out of three.

3 Look up Newton's theorem about sums of powers of roots.

It's a tryout test for university entrance exam.
Newton's theorem is the most efficient way as far as I see. Thanks for your suggestion!

terryds said:
Newton's theorem is the most efficient way as far as I see. Thanks for your suggestion!
Doesn't look as efficient to me. The reference I found, https://artofproblemsolving.com/wiki/index.php?title=Newton's_Sums, shows stepping through all the exponents up to 16, instead of only having to deal with the powers of 2 exponents.

Likes terryds
I think your paras 1 and 2 of #1 are garbled, mixing up definitions or notations of roots and coefficients.

Last edited:

Related to Find the Sum of Roots^16 | x3 - x + 1 = 0 Equation | Homework Solution

1. What is the equation x3 - x + 1 = 0?

The equation x3 - x + 1 = 0 is a cubic equation with three terms: a coefficient of x3, a coefficient of x, and a constant term of 1. It is a polynomial equation of degree 3.

2. What does it mean to "find the sum of roots"?

Finding the sum of roots refers to finding the sum of all the possible values of x that make the equation equal to 0. In other words, it is the sum of all the solutions to the equation.

3. How do you solve a cubic equation?

To solve a cubic equation, you can use various methods such as factoring, the cubic formula, or numerical methods like Newton's method. In this case, you can use the Rational Root Theorem to determine possible rational roots and then use synthetic division to test for these roots.

4. What does the "^16" mean in "Find the Sum of Roots^16"?

The "^16" indicates that the sum of roots should be raised to the 16th power. This may be a specific requirement for the homework solution or part of a larger problem involving higher powers.

5. Why is finding the sum of roots important?

Finding the sum of roots is important because it helps to determine the behavior and characteristics of the equation. It can also provide insight into the graph of the equation and can be used to verify the solutions found through other methods.