Find the spring constant and the amplitude of the simple harmonic moti

T In summary, a 4kg mass attached to a spring with a period of 1.50s has a total mechanical energy of 12J. The amplitude of the oscillation is 0.585m, but the spring constant cannot be determined without knowing the angular frequency. Someone with knowledge of the equation of simple harmonic motion may be able to assist in finding the spring constant.
Flinthill84
Having a little trouble with this one:

A 4kg mass is attached to a spring and executes simple harmonic oscillation with a period of 1.50s. The total mechanical engery of the system is 12J. What is the spring constant. Determine the amplite.

I was able to find the amplitude which is 0.585m but am not able to find the spring constant. The formula that I have for spring constant you have to know the angular frequency so I do not think that is right. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Flinthill84 said:
Having a little trouble with this one:

A 4kg mass is attached to a spring and executes simple harmonic oscillation with a period of 1.50s. The total mechanical engery of the system is 12J. What is the spring constant. Determine the amplite.

I was able to find the amplitude which is 0.585m but am not able to find the spring constant. The formula that I have for spring constant you have to know the angular frequency so I do not think that is right. Can anyone help?

Use the equation of shm: [itex]x = A sin \omega t [/itex] where [itex]\omega = \sqrt{k/m}[/itex]

To find the spring constant in this situation, we can use the formula K = (4π²m)/T², where m is the mass and T is the period. In this case, m = 4kg and T = 1.50s. Plugging these values into the formula, we get K = (4π² * 4kg)/(1.50s)² = 16π²/2.25 = 22.4 N/m. So the spring constant in this system is 22.4 N/m.

To determine the amplitude, we can use the formula E = (1/2)K*A², where E is the total mechanical energy and A is the amplitude. Rearranging for A, we get A = √(2E/K). Plugging in the values for E and K that we just found, we get A = √(2*12J/22.4 N/m) = 0.585m. So the amplitude of the simple harmonic motion is 0.585m.

I hope this helps!

Related to Find the spring constant and the amplitude of the simple harmonic moti

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This results in a sinusoidal (or wave-like) motion.

How do you find the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is typically denoted by the letter 'k' and can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting displacement of the spring.

What is the formula for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion?

The formula for calculating the period (T) of simple harmonic motion is T = 2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the object and k is the spring constant. This formula is derived from the equation for the period of a simple pendulum.

What is the relationship between the amplitude and the period of simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion is the maximum displacement from the equilibrium position. The period and amplitude are inversely proportional, meaning that as the amplitude increases, the period also increases. This is because a larger amplitude requires a longer distance to travel in the same amount of time, resulting in a longer period.

How is simple harmonic motion related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force required to extend or compress a spring by a certain distance is directly proportional to that distance. This is in line with the definition of simple harmonic motion, as the restoring force in this type of motion is also directly proportional to the displacement. Therefore, Hooke's Law is closely related to simple harmonic motion and is often used to analyze and describe this type of motion.