Find the slope of the tangent line

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the slope of the tangent line to the curve given by the equation sqrt(4x+2y) + sqrt(1xy) = 9.72 at the point (6,3). The expert summarizer explains that the slope of the tangent line can be found by taking the derivative of the function, and suggests using implicit differentiation in this case. After some back and forth, the original poster is able to successfully find the derivative and obtain the correct answer.
cal.queen92

Homework Statement

Find the slope of the tangent line to the curve:

sqrt(4x+2y) + sqrt(1xy) = 9.72

at the point (6,3)

Homework Equations

Derivative laws

The Attempt at a Solution

the slope of the tangent line to a curve is the Derivative of the function of the curve, so I need to find the derivative, right?

Now, to obtain the derivative, I feel as if I need to have the function as a function of y in terms of x. (f(x) = ... or y=x...). But every time I attempt to put the equation in that form I get stuck!

I tried squaring both sides of the equation, ending up with something ugly.

I also tried the following:

sqrt(4x+2y) + sqrt(1xy) = 9.72 --> sqrt(4x+2y) = 9.72 - sqrt(1xy)

and then squared both sides again and ended up with something ugly again.

Any Ideas?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cal.queen92 said:
the slope of the tangent line to a curve is the Derivative of the function of the curve, so I need to find the derivative, right?

Right!

Now, to obtain the derivative, I feel as if I need to have the function as a function of y in terms of x.

Wrong!

You don't have to have that, and in this case it isn't even desirable. Use implicit differentiation instead.

OOOOkayy i completely forgot about implicit differentiation... I've tried it now and am not getting it right, The differentiating process is extremely long, should it be? I am getting lost in my work it is so long.

No, it shouldn't be long at all. Rewrite the relation as follows.

[tex](4x+2y)^{1/2}+(xy)^{1/2}=9.72[/tex]

You'll need to apply the Chain Rule to both terms on the left side. In addition to that you'll need the Product Rule for the second one. Don't forget that the derivative of the right side is zero.

Yes, I used the chain rule and product rule and ended up with:

dy/dx = ((-xy^2 * sqrt(4x+2y)) -4)/ (2 + (yx^2 * sqrt(4x+2y))

and then when I filled in the values of the point i got an answer of:

(-54sqrt(30)-4)/(2+108sqrt(30)) which is wrong...

perhaps if i show you my first step:

((1/2)((4x+2y)^(-1/2))(4+2dy/dx)) + ((1/2)((xy)^ and I have just found my mistake...

Thank you very much! The answer is now right...

Related to Find the slope of the tangent line

What does it mean to find the slope of the tangent line?

When finding the slope of the tangent line, you are determining the rate of change of a curve at a specific point. This slope represents the instantaneous rate of change, or the steepness, of the curve at that point.

How do I find the slope of the tangent line?

To find the slope of the tangent line, you need to first identify the point on the curve where you want to find the slope. Then, you can use the derivative of the function at that point to calculate the slope.

Why is it important to find the slope of the tangent line?

Finding the slope of the tangent line is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It can also be used to find the equation of the tangent line, which can be useful in various applications such as optimization problems and motion analysis.

What is the difference between the slope of the tangent line and the slope of a secant line?

The slope of the tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while the slope of a secant line represents the average rate of change between two points on a curve. As the distance between the two points on the curve decreases, the secant line becomes closer to the tangent line.

Can the slope of the tangent line be negative?

Yes, the slope of the tangent line can be negative. This indicates that the curve is decreasing at that point, or that the rate of change is negative. The slope of the tangent line can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the behavior of the curve at that specific point.