Find the requested function and sketch the curve

In summary, The conversation is about finding the function and sketching the curve for the surface area of a sphere with a radius expanding at a rate of 1 meter/min. The formula used is A = 4 * Pi * r^2 and the derivative of the surface area is 8 * Pi * r, with r being a function of time. The confusion arises when trying to plot the graph as a function of time or radius. The solution is to write r as a function of time, r = 1 + t, and plot the points (0, 1), (1, 2), (2, 3), etc. to create the graph.
BrendanM
help me please!

Im very rusty here's my problem, please help thanks!

The radius of a sphere is expanding at the rate of 1 meter/min. At t=0 the radius is 1. In earch case, find the requested function and sketch the curve.

a)The surface area of the sphere as a function of the time;
For this i took: dR/dt = 1 m/min
A=4*Pi*r^2
dA/dt=8*pi*r*dR/dt
dA/dt = 8*pi*r <--- if this is right how do i sketch this graph as a function of time??
my graph points that i ploted were (0,8pi),(1,16pi),(2,24pi) etc... but this is confusing me because at t=0 radius is 1... is my x-axis supposed to be time or radius someone help me I am confused..

Physics news on Phys.org
Write r as a function of time then plot:
[tex]r = 1 + t[/tex]

The requested function in this case is the surface area of the sphere as a function of time, which can be represented as A(t). The curve that would be sketched would be a linear curve, as the rate of change of the surface area is constant (8*pi*r). The x-axis would represent time (t) and the y-axis would represent surface area (A).

To sketch the curve, we can plot the points you have calculated: (0, 8*pi), (1, 16*pi), (2, 24*pi), etc. These points represent the surface area at different points in time. We can then connect these points with a straight line to create the linear curve.

However, as you mentioned, the radius at t=0 is 1, which means the surface area at t=0 would be 4*pi*1^2 = 4*pi. This means the first point on the graph should be (0, 4*pi) instead of (0, 8*pi). This will result in a curve that starts at (0, 4*pi) and increases linearly from there.

In summary, the requested function and curve for this problem would be:
A(t) = 4*pi + 8*pi*t
Curve: a linear curve starting at (0, 4*pi) and increasing at a constant rate of 8*pi.

Related to Find the requested function and sketch the curve

1. What is the purpose of finding the requested function and sketching the curve?

The purpose of finding the requested function and sketching the curve is to visually represent the relationship between the input and output of a mathematical function. This can help us better understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values.

2. How do you find the requested function?

To find the requested function, you must first identify the independent and dependent variables in the problem. Then, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination to solve for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable.

3. What information is needed to sketch the curve of a function?

In order to sketch the curve of a function, you will need to know the shape and direction of the graph, as well as any specific points or intercepts that are given. You will also need to have a basic understanding of the behavior of different types of functions, such as linear, quadratic, exponential, and trigonometric functions.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when sketching a curve?

One common mistake to avoid when sketching a curve is forgetting to label the axes and give the graph a title. Another mistake is not plotting enough points to accurately represent the curve. It is also important to pay attention to the scale of the axes and to make sure the graph is neat and easy to read.

5. How can sketching a curve help in real-world applications?

Sketching a curve can help in real-world applications by allowing us to make predictions and analyze relationships between different variables. For example, in economics, we can use a demand curve to predict the quantity of a product that consumers will buy at different prices. In physics, we can use a velocity vs. time graph to analyze the motion of an object. Sketching curves can also help in problem-solving and decision-making processes in various fields.