Find the requested function and sketch the curve

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the surface area of a sphere as a function of time when the radius is expanding at a rate of 1 meter/min. The formula used is A = 4*pi*r^2 and the derivative of area is 8*pi*r. The confusion lies in plotting the graph of the derivative of area and reconstructing the graph of area based on the slopes.
BrendanM
Im very rusty here's my problem, please help thanks!

The radius of a sphere is expanding at the rate of 1 meter/min. At t=0 the radius is 1. In earch case, find the requested function and sketch the curve.

a)The surface area of the sphere as a function of the time;
For this i took: dR/dt = 1 m/min
A=4*Pi*r^2
dA/dt=8*pi*r*dR/dt
dA/dt = 8*pi*r <--- if this is right how do i sketch this graph as a function of time??
my graph points that i ploted were (0,8pi),(1,16pi),(2,24pi) etc... but this is confusing me because at t=0 radius is 1... is my x-axis supposed to be time or radius someone help me I am confused..

Physics news on Phys.org
BrendanM said:
Im very rusty here's my problem, please help thanks!

The radius of a sphere is expanding at the rate of 1 meter/min. At t=0 the radius is 1. In earch case, find the requested function and sketch the curve.

a)The surface area of the sphere as a function of the time;
For this i took: dR/dt = 1 m/min
A=4*Pi*r^2
dA/dt=8*pi*r*dR/dt
dA/dt = 8*pi*r <--- if this is right how do i sketch this graph as a function of time??
my graph points that i ploted were (0,8pi),(1,16pi),(2,24pi) etc... but this is confusing me because at t=0 radius is 1... is my x-axis supposed to be time or radius someone help me I am confused..

You are plotting the rate of change of area, not area. So based of the graph of the derivative of area, reconstruct what the graph of area looks like knowing that what you have are slopes. Start at (0,1) and draw a tangent line with slope 8pi. Then at (1,?) where ? > 1, the tangent line will have slope 16pi. Or if you've done integration, integrate dA/dt and to solve for the "C", plug in the value (0,1). I think your area is parabolic.

Firstly, your approach to finding the function for the surface area is correct. The formula for the surface area of a sphere is A=4πr², where r is the radius. Since the radius is expanding at a rate of 1 m/min, we can write this as dR/dt=1 m/min. Using the chain rule, we can find the rate of change of the surface area with respect to time, which is dA/dt=8πr*dR/dt. As you correctly calculated, the function for the surface area as a function of time is dA/dt=8πr.

To sketch this graph, we need to consider the relationship between the surface area and the radius. As the radius increases, the surface area also increases. However, the rate of increase of the surface area is not constant. It is proportional to the radius, which means that as the radius increases, the rate of increase of the surface area also increases. This is why the graph of dA/dt vs. time will not be a straight line, but rather a curve.

To plot this graph, we can use the values you calculated. However, instead of using the radius as the x-axis, we can use time as the x-axis. This is because we want to see how the surface area changes over time. So, at t=0, the radius is 1 and the surface area is 4π. This gives us our first point (0, 4π). Then, at t=1, the radius is 2 and the surface area is 16π. This gives us our second point (1, 16π). Similarly, at t=2, the radius is 3 and the surface area is 36π. This gives us our third point (2, 36π). We can continue this pattern to plot more points and then connect them to get the curve. The resulting graph will be an increasing curve, with a steeper slope as time increases.

In summary, your approach to finding the function for the surface area was correct. However, when sketching the graph, it is important to consider the relationship between the variables and choose the appropriate axis for the independent variable. In this case, since we want to see how the surface area changes over time, time should be plotted on the x-axis and the surface area on the y-axis.

Related to Find the requested function and sketch the curve

What is the purpose of "Find the requested function and sketch the curve"?

The purpose of this task is to find the mathematical function that describes a given curve and then create a visual representation of that curve on a graph. It allows us to better understand the behavior and relationships between variables in a mathematical context.

How do you find the requested function?

To find the requested function, you will need to analyze the given curve and identify any key features, such as points of intersection, maxima or minima, and symmetry. Then, you can use algebraic techniques, such as solving equations and manipulating variables, to determine the equation of the curve.

What tools or techniques can be used to sketch the curve?

There are several tools and techniques that can be used to sketch a curve, including graphing calculators, software programs, and manual graphing techniques. These techniques involve plotting points, connecting them with a smooth curve, and labeling any important features.

What are some common types of curves that may be requested to find and sketch?

Some common types of curves that may be requested to find and sketch include linear, quadratic, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and polynomial functions. It is important to have a solid understanding of these function types and their characteristics in order to successfully complete this task.

Why is it important to accurately sketch the curve?

Accurately sketching the curve allows us to visually understand the behavior of the function and how it relates to its variables. It also helps us to identify any key features of the curve, which can be useful in solving problems and making predictions. Additionally, accurately sketching the curve is important in order to validate the function that was found.