Find the real and imaginary parts of (1-z)/(i+z)

In summary, the conversation involves finding the real and imaginary parts of a complex expression and using the conjugate over itself to simplify it. The member also advises not to delete the homework template in future posts.
carlosbgois
Member advised that the homework template is required.
Hey there! Need help figuring this out:
Find the real and imaginary parts of [tex]\frac{1-z}{i+z}[/tex]

What I've tried was to notice that [tex]z\bar{z}=|z|^2[/tex], thence [tex]\frac{1-z}{i+z}=\frac{(1-z)}{(i+z)}\frac{(\overline{i+z})}{(\overline{i+z})}=\frac{(1-z)(i+\overline{z})}{|i+z|^2}=\frac{\overline{z}+i(z-1)-|z|^2}{|i+z|^2}[/tex]

But now I'm stuck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of answer are you looking for? Usually you would have ##z = x + iy## and would express the real and imaginary parts of the expression in terms of ##x## and ##y##.

carlosbgois said:
Hey there! Need help figuring this out:
Find the real and imaginary parts of [tex]\frac{1-z}{i+z}[/tex]
Let z = x + iy, and write the above as ##\frac{1 - x - iy}{i + x + iy} = \frac{1 - x - iy}{x + i(y + 1)}##, and then multiply by 1 in the form of the conjugate over itself.

Also, in future posts, please don't delete the homework template - it's not optional.
carlosbgois said:
What I've tried was to notice that [tex]z\bar{z}=|z|^2[/tex], thence [tex]\frac{1-z}{i+z}=\frac{(1-z)}{(i+z)}\frac{(\overline{i+z})}{(\overline{i+z})}=\frac{(1-z)(i+\overline{z})}{|i+z|^2}=\frac{\overline{z}+i(z-1)-|z|^2}{|i+z|^2}[/tex]

But now I'm stuck. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Related to Find the real and imaginary parts of (1-z)/(i+z)

1. What is the equation (1-z)/(i+z) used for?

The equation (1-z)/(i+z) is typically used in complex analysis to find the real and imaginary parts of a complex number.

2. How do you find the real and imaginary parts of (1-z)/(i+z)?

To find the real and imaginary parts of (1-z)/(i+z), you can use the following steps:
1. Multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator, i-z.
2. Simplify the resulting expression.
3. The real part will be the coefficient of the real term, and the imaginary part will be the coefficient of the imaginary term.

3. Can this equation be simplified further?

Yes, the equation (1-z)/(i+z) can be simplified further by multiplying the numerator and denominator by i, resulting in the expression (i-z)/(1+z).

4. What values of z would make the denominator of this equation equal to 0?

The values of z that would make the denominator of this equation equal to 0 are -i and -1.

5. How can you use the real and imaginary parts of (1-z)/(i+z) to graph the equation?

To graph the equation (1-z)/(i+z), you can plot the real and imaginary parts on a complex plane. The real part will correspond to the x-axis, and the imaginary part will correspond to the y-axis. The resulting graph will be a line passing through the points (1,0) and (0,-1).