Find the range of the golfball and the maximum height reached

In summary: I am so sorry for the mistake, yes it was just a typo. Thank you for the help!In summary, the conversation discusses finding the range and maximum height of a golf ball hit with a velocity of 22.8m/s at an angle of 40.0° with respect to the horizontal. The equations used to solve the problem include kinematic equations for constant acceleration in one dimension and the resolution of motion into components. After some mistakes and corrections, the final answer for the maximum height is 10.96m.
dani123

Homework Statement

A golf ball is hit with a velocity of 22.8m/s at an angle of 40.0° with respect to the horizontal.

a) Find the range of the golf ball.
b) Find the maximum height reached by the golf ball.

Homework Equations

dv=1/2*at2
dh=Vh*Δt
Kinetic equation d=Vi*t+ 1/2*at2
dh=-V2*sin2θ /g
sinθ=opp/hyp
cosθ=adj/hyp
Δt=-2Vsinθ / g

The Attempt at a Solution

a) dh=-V2*sin2θ /g= 52.24m

b)dv=sin(40)*22.8=14.7m

I am unsure of which equations to use in this problem but I've attempted something that I think may be right but would greatly appreciated if someone could just check my answers and correct me if necessary and explain which equations you use if applicable. Also if you could let me know if all my significant figures are being respected, I still have a hard time remembering the rules... if anyone had a trick for remembering the sig fig rules and would like to share that would be awesome! Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have done a) correctly, but b) is not correct. To work out the max height of the ball, first think about the ball's motion, at what stage in its journey will it be at its highest point?

Thank you for your help! I don't understand why my part b) is wrong however. I don't know any other equation to calculate the vertical distance.

for part b) would it be Δy=Vi2/-2ay

Which would turn out to be Δy=26.5m?

for constant acceleration kinematics in one dimension
1. d=do + vot + 1/2at2 or
2. vf2 = vi2 + 2ad

For a motion in plane, resolve it to one dimension components. Eg. x/h-direction and y/v-direction.

dani123 said:
for part b) would it be Δy=Vi2/-2ay

Which would turn out to be Δy=26.5m?

Very close. Vi should be the vertical component of the initial speed, but you have used the total initial speed.

for b) i tried to redo it and i used H=Visin2θ/2g and with that equation I got 10.96m. Does that answer seem correct?

The answer is correct. (although I got 10.95m which is slightly different). But I think you've written up the equation incorrectly. It should be Vi2 But I'm guessing you just had a miss-type?

dani123, for the reason why you're answer is slightly off Bruce's see my answer to your other post on projectile motion

oh, I see. The difference is because I used g=9.81 and dani123 used g=9.8 This isn't a big issue. Maybe it would be better to use more significant figures in the calculation than you use in the answer, to get a more accurate answer.

Related to Find the range of the golfball and the maximum height reached

1. What is the range of a golf ball?

The range of a golf ball is the horizontal distance it travels from the point of impact to where it lands. It is influenced by factors such as the initial velocity, launch angle, air resistance, and wind conditions.

2. How is the range of a golf ball calculated?

The range of a golf ball can be calculated using the equation: R = v2 * sin(2θ) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the maximum height a golf ball can reach?

The maximum height a golf ball can reach is dependent on the initial velocity and launch angle. However, factors such as air resistance and wind conditions can also affect the maximum height.

4. How is the maximum height of a golf ball calculated?

The maximum height of a golf ball can be calculated using the equation: H = v2 * sin2(θ) / 2g, where H is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can the range and maximum height of a golf ball be improved?

Yes, the range and maximum height of a golf ball can be improved by adjusting the initial velocity, launch angle, and using equipment such as drivers with larger clubheads and low spin golf balls. Environmental factors, such as wind conditions, can also be taken into consideration to improve the range and maximum height.