Find the period of the function

In summary, the question of whether b(x) = cos(f(x)) is periodic depends on the function f:R-->R being considered. It can be periodic with period 2\pi if f(x) = x for a given n, but for other functions, it may not be periodic.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have doubts concerning this problem.

Consider f:R-->R a continuous non-periodic function, and the function b(x) = cos(f(x)). Is b(x) periodic, if so, with what period?

I got...

b(x) is periodic of period L [itex]\Leftrightarrow b(x) = b(x+L) \Leftrightarrow cos(f(x)) = cos(f(x+L)) \Leftrightarrow f(x+L)=f(x)+2n\pi, \ \ n\in \mathbb{Z}[/itex]

So it depends on f wheter b is periodic of not. For exemple, if f(x) = x, then for a given n, [itex] f(x+L) = f(x)+2n\pi \Leftrightarrow x+L=x+2n\pi \Rightarrow 0<L=2n\pi[/itex] and hence the period of b(x) is [itex]2\pi[/itex].

I have faith in what I have done; it's just that it never happened to me in 21 years of life that the answer to a yes/no question in a textbook is "it depends".

Physics news on Phys.org
You will end up with something like b being periodic iff

[tex]f(x) + 2\pi n = f(x + L) \forall x[/tex]

But then f is clearly just the function defined by:

[tex]f(x) = 2\pi nx/L + C[/tex]

for some constant C. Such a function is non-periodic (if n is not zero) and continuous. So yes, it does depend on f. If f is one of the family of functions defined by:

[tex]f(x) = 2\pi nx/L + C[/tex]

for [itex]n \in \mathbb{Z} - \{0\}[/itex], [itex]C \in \mathbb{R}[/itex], [itex]L \in \mathbb{R} - \{0\}[/itex] then the answer is yes (and with period L), and it is no otherwise. I did this in a rush, hopefully it's right.

As a scientist, it is important to understand that not all problems have a simple yes or no answer. In this case, the periodicity of b(x) depends on the behavior of the function f(x). This is not uncommon in mathematics and science, as many problems require a deeper analysis and understanding of the underlying principles. It is important to approach problems with an open mind and be willing to explore different possibilities, even if the answer is not straightforward. Your approach to finding the period of b(x) is correct and demonstrates critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Keep in mind that science is about continuously learning and questioning, and it is perfectly normal to have doubts and uncertainties along the way.

Related to Find the period of the function

1. What is the period of a function?

The period of a function is the length of one complete cycle of the function. It is the distance between two consecutive points on the function that have the same value and slope.

2. How do you find the period of a function?

The period of a function can be found by analyzing the coefficients and variables in the function's equation. For example, for a trigonometric function, the period can be found by taking the inverse of the coefficient of the variable inside the trigonometric function.

3. Can a function have a negative period?

Yes, a function can have a negative period. This means that the function repeats in the opposite direction than it normally would. For example, a cosine function with a negative period would start at its maximum value and decrease instead of starting at its minimum and increasing.

4. Does the shape of the function affect the period?

Yes, the shape of the function can affect the period. Functions with a more stretched out or compressed shape will have a longer or shorter period, respectively. For example, a sine function will have a shorter period than a cosine function because it is more compressed.

5. Can a function have an infinite period?

No, a function cannot have an infinite period. A function's period is always a finite and constant value, regardless of the shape or complexity of the function. If a function appears to have an infinite period, it is likely due to a mathematical error or an incorrect understanding of the concept of period.