Find the percentage of electrons were removed?

• Thread starter blackbyron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, to find the percentage of electrons removed from a neutral object with 7.2e26 electrons, divide the number of electrons removed (9.5e6) by the total number of electrons and multiply by 100. The correct answer is 1.32e-18, which can be obtained by multiplying 1.32e-20 by 100.
blackbyron

Homework Statement

A neutral object contains an equal number of positive and negative charges. A particular neutral object contains 7.2e26 electrons. If 9.5e6 electrons are removed, what percentage of the electrons where removed?

Homework Equations

coulomb = 6.24e18 electrons

elentary charge = 1.6 E -19 coulombs

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having difficulties of solving the percentage of the electrons were removed,

I did this:

9.5e6 / 7.2e26 = 1.32e-20

But the answer says it's 1.32e-18, so I don't know how it got that answer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
blackbyron said:

Homework Statement

A neutral object contains an equal number of positive and negative charges. A particular neutral object contains 7.2e26 electrons. If 9.5e6 electrons are removed, what percentage of the electrons where removed?

Homework Equations

coulomb = 6.24e18 electrons

elentary charge = 1.6 E -19 coulombs

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having difficulties of solving the percentage of the electrons were removed,

I did this:

9.5e6 / 7.2e26 = 1.32e-20

But the answer says it's 1.32e-18, so I don't know how it got that answer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

To convert a number to a percentage, multiply by 100.

Mark44 said:
To convert a number to a percentage, multiply by 100.

Wow, I forgot about that. What am I thinking? haha thanks.

Related to Find the percentage of electrons were removed?

1. How do you calculate the percentage of electrons that were removed?

To calculate the percentage of electrons that were removed, you divide the number of electrons that were removed by the total number of electrons. This number is then multiplied by 100 to get the percentage.

2. Why is it important to find the percentage of electrons that were removed?

Knowing the percentage of electrons that were removed is important because it can help determine the efficiency of a process or reaction. It can also provide insights into the behavior of electrons in a particular system.

3. What factors can affect the percentage of electrons that were removed?

The percentage of electrons that were removed can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of other substances in the system. The type of material and the type of reaction can also play a role.

4. Can the percentage of electrons removed be greater than 100%?

No, the percentage of electrons removed cannot be greater than 100%. This would indicate that more electrons were removed than were present in the system, which is not possible.

5. How can the percentage of electrons removed be measured in a laboratory setting?

The percentage of electrons removed can be measured using various techniques such as spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, or electrochemical methods. These techniques involve analyzing the number and behavior of electrons in a given system.