Find the particle's charge in terms of Q.

In summary, the conversation discusses how the net potential at point P becomes zero when the electric potential due to the semicircle and the q charge are equalized. The direction of electric potential is clarified to be a scalar value and not a vector. The idea of using potential to calculate electrostatic potential energy is mentioned, and the potential and kinetic energy equations are considered as a possible solution. However, it is noted that more careful consideration of signs is needed and that at infinity, both potential energy and kinetic energy are zero.
Gnall
Homework Statement
I have found the first following, I need b and c. The question is:

A total positive charge Q is uniformly distributed on an insulating thread of length L. The thread is bent into the shape of a semicircle and located in the xy plane, as shown in the figure. Express your answers in terms of the given quantities and fundemental constants as needed.
I found a following.
b.) If a charged particle with a mass m is located at the point x=0, y=L; the electric potential at P becomes zero. Find the particle's charge in terms of Q.
c.) If the charged particle at (b) is first carried to a point P, and then given an initial velocity v0 in the positive y direction, find the minimum value of v0 such that the particle escapes to a point infinitely far away from the charged thread. Ignore any gravitational effects.
Relevant Equations
Electric potential of semicircle at P point in the first following :
V= kQ/R
For the b following:
kQ/R=kq/L
L=πR
kQ/R=kq/πR
πQ=q

Attachments

• 20190420_140214.png
    20190420_140214.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 338
Physics news on Phys.org
Gnall said:
kQ/R=kq/L
How does that make the net potential zero?

haruspex said:
How does that make the net potential zero?
Because, the electric potential due to the semicircle at P point is (kQ/R) and, due to the q charge is (kq/L). So I equalized them. Is that wrong for electric potential?

Gnall said:
Because, the electric potential due to the semicircle at P point is (kQ/R) and, due to the q charge is (kq/L). So I equalized them. Is that wrong for electric potential?
How do the two potentials sum at point P?

gneill said:
The direction of electric potential due to the semicircle is in +y direction. Because the Vx components will cancel due to the symmetry. Like in the image.

Attachments

• 15557855290031490738635.jpg
    15557855290031490738635.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 309
Gnall said:
The direction of electric potential due to the semicircle is in +y direction. Because the Vx components will cancel due to the symmetry. Like in the image.
Potential has no direction. I'ts a scalar value.

Gnall said:

You're the second person today to think that potential has a direction. It has a sign, based on the sign of the charge, but it's not a vector. It doesn't have ##V_x## and ##V_y## components.

gneill said:
And to make the potential zero at the point P, there should be electric potential at opposite
(-y)direction due to the charged particle at (x,y)=(0,L)
PeroK said:
You're the second person today to think that potential has a direction. It has a sign, based on the sign of the charge, but it's not a vector. It doesn't have VxVx and VyVy components.
So how to make electric potential zero at P?

gneill said:
Potential has no direction. I'ts a scalar value.

Gnall said:

You could use a charge of the opposite sign.

PeroK said:
You could use a charge of the opposite sign.
Oh okay. So the equation is the same except the sign of the second charge?

Gnall said:

Potentials add. So, you need ##V_1 + V_2 = 0##.

Likes Gnall
PeroK said:
Potentials add. So, you need ##V_1 + V_2 = 0##.
Understood. So what about the third question? How can I solve?

Gnall said:
Understood. So what about the third question? How can I solve?

Have you any ideas? Potentials, fields, forces, energies?

PeroK said:
Have you any ideas? Potentials, fields, forces, energies?
Yes actually. I thought E=qV
Then V is kQ/R
Kinetic energy is 1/2mVsquare
So maybe I can equalize V and kinetic energy?

Gnall said:
Yes actually. I thought E=qV
Then V is kQ/R
Kinetic energy is 1/2mVsquare
So maybe I can equalize V and kinetic energy?

I guess that means conservation or energy, potential and kinetic?

PeroK said:
Yes but I don't have any idea except that. Should I use F=q.E?

PeroK said:
Besides, question says ignore the gravitational force.

PeroK said:
Question says
PeroK said:
It's not necessary to calculate the forces: that is one advantage of using potential. There's a page here about electrostatic potential energy:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elepe.html
Sorry actually I wanted to mean E=qV=kqQ/R instead of V. So I should equalize qV to 1/2mVsquare?

Gnall said:
So,
Ep1 + Ek1 = Ep2 + Ek2 so,
kQq/R + 0 = 0 + 1/2mVsquare
Is that true?

You need to be more careful about signs and what these quantities mean. I would say that at infinity both PE and KE are 0. If the charge just has enough energy to make it.

PeroK said:
You need to be more careful about signs and what these quantities mean. I would say that at infinity both PE and KE are 0. If the charge just has enough energy to make it.
Oh, yes you are totaly right.
kQq/R + 1/2mvsquare = 0+0?
Is that true? :)

Likes PeroK
Gnall said:
Oh, yes you are totaly right.
kQq/R + 1/2mvsquare = 0+0?
Is that true? :)
PeroK said:
Oh finally! :) Thank you so much sir, I'm very apreciated.

Related to Find the particle's charge in terms of Q.

1. What does it mean to "find the particle's charge in terms of Q"?

When we say "find the particle's charge in terms of Q," we are looking for a mathematical expression or equation that represents the particle's charge in relation to the unit of electric charge, Q. This allows us to understand the charge of the particle in a standardized and measurable way.

2. Why is it important to know the particle's charge in terms of Q?

Knowing the particle's charge in terms of Q allows us to compare and analyze the charges of different particles in a consistent manner. It also helps us to understand how these particles interact with each other and their surrounding environment.

3. How do we determine the particle's charge in terms of Q?

The particle's charge in terms of Q can be determined through various experiments and measurements. For example, the charge of an electron can be found by measuring its deflection in an electric or magnetic field. Another method is through the use of Coulomb's law, which relates the charge of a particle to the force it exerts on another charged particle.

4. Can the particle's charge in terms of Q change?

Yes, the particle's charge in terms of Q can change under certain circumstances. For example, when an atom gains or loses electrons, its overall charge changes and can be expressed in terms of Q. In some cases, the charge of a particle may also change due to interactions with other particles or energy sources.

5. How is the unit of electric charge, Q, related to other units of charge?

The unit of electric charge, Q, is related to other units of charge through conversion factors. For example, one Coulomb (C) is equivalent to 6.24 x 10^18 Q, and one elementary charge (e) is equal to 1.6 x 10^-19 Q. These conversion factors allow us to express the charge of particles in various units, depending on the context of the experiment or calculation.