Find the partial fraction decomposition of the rational function.

In summary, the conversation is about solving the equation 5x^2 + 8/x3 + x2 using rational expressions. The correct way to write the expression is (5x^2 + 8)/(x^3 + x^2). The mistake made by the speaker is omitting the denominator on the left side and using only two terms on the right side. They then try to solve the equation by setting up a matrix on their calculator, but are given the correct solution by another person. The conversation also includes a discussion on using a matrix function on a calculator to solve equations and the confusion of the speaker with the new type of equations.
wat2000
5x^2 + 8/x3 + x2

I got a 5x^2 + 8 = A/x^2 + B/x + 1
A(x+1) + B(x^2)
(Ax+A) + (Bx^2)
(Ax + Bx^2) + A
5x^2 + 8 = (A + B) x + (A)x^2
5x^2+x+8=(A+B) + (A)
This is about as far as I can get but I think I made a mistake somewhere but I don't know where? Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
wat2000 said:
5x^2 + 8/x3 + x2
First off, whenever your write rational expressions on a single line, and the numerator or denominator has multiple terms, use parentheses around the entire numerator and/or denominator.

The expression you wrote would normally be interpreted as 5x2 + (8/x3) + x2.

The right way to write this is (5x2 + 8)/(x3 + x2).

Or better yet, here it is in LaTeX.
[tex]\frac{5x^2 + 8}{x^3 + x^2}[/tex]

wat2000 said:
I got a 5x^2 + 8 = A/x^2 + B/x + 1
That is not correct for two reasons: 1) you omitted the denominator on the left side; 2) the right side needs three terms, not two.

(5x2 + 8)/(x3 + x2) = A/x + B/x2 + C/(x + 1)

Now, multiply both sides of the equation by x2(x + 1) to get
5x2 + 8 = Ax(x + 1) + B(x + 1) + Cx2
Solve for A, B, and C.
wat2000 said:
A(x+1) + B(x^2)
(Ax+A) + (Bx^2)
(Ax + Bx^2) + A
5x^2 + 8 = (A + B) x + (A)x^2
5x^2+x+8=(A+B) + (A)
This is about as far as I can get but I think I made a mistake somewhere but I don't know where? Can someone help me?

Thanks!

I got Is -7/x + 8/x^2 + 12/x+1. I don't think that's right though?

I used 5x^2+8=(A+C)x^2 + (A+B)x + B
5x^2 +0x+8=(A+C) + (A+B) + B
then i put it on the matrix function on my calculator to get this answer.

Why in the world would you use "the matrix function on my calculator" to solve such easy equations? And why do you have [itex]x^2[/itex] and x on the left but not on the right of your equation?

A+ C= 5, A+ B= 0, B= 8.

So A+ 8= 0, A= -8.

Then -8+ C= 5, C= 13.

Just doing what my professor said to do. he said we won't have enough time to do these equations by hand on the test so he taught my class how to use the matrix function on the calculator. Also Friday was the first time I had even heard of one of theses kind of equations so I am very new at this.

Related to Find the partial fraction decomposition of the rational function.

1. What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is the process of breaking down a rational function (a function with a polynomial in the numerator and denominator) into simpler fractions. This is done by finding the unique pieces, or partial fractions, that add up to the original rational function.

2. Why is partial fraction decomposition important in mathematics?

Partial fraction decomposition is important because it allows us to simplify complex rational functions, making them easier to work with and understand. It is also used in integration and differential equations, making it a crucial tool in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

3. How do you find the partial fraction decomposition of a rational function?

To find the partial fraction decomposition of a rational function, you first need to factor the denominator into its irreducible factors. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of each term in the numerator and solve for the unknown coefficients. This will give you the partial fractions that make up the original rational function.

4. Are there any limitations to using partial fraction decomposition?

Yes, there are limitations to using partial fraction decomposition. It can only be used for rational functions with distinct linear factors in the denominator. It also cannot be used for functions with repeated factors or for functions with non-real or complex roots in the denominator.

5. How is partial fraction decomposition used in real-world applications?

Partial fraction decomposition has various real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to analyze and solve problems involving complex systems and to model real-life situations. It is also used in signal processing and control systems, making it an essential tool in modern technology.