Find the maximum value of this complex function

In summary, a complex function is a mathematical function that operates on complex numbers. To find the maximum value of a complex function, one must take the derivative, set it equal to zero, and solve for the complex number that makes the derivative equal to zero. Finding the maximum value of a complex function is important as it provides information about the function's behavior and characteristics. The maximum value can have an imaginary part if the function has complex inputs or outputs. There are various techniques for finding the maximum value, such as using partial derivatives, optimization techniques, and graphical methods. The method used will depend on the complexity of the function and available resources.
supermiedos

Homework Statement

Find the maximum value of f(z) = exp(z) over | z - (1 + i) | ≤ 1

Homework Equations

|f(z)| yields the maximum value

The Attempt at a Solution

f(z) = exp(x) ( cosy + i siny)

Unfortunately that's all I've got. I've seen examples with polynomials, but not with trigonometric functions. Please, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the maximum value of just the real part if you have |real(z) - 1 | < 1?
Does the imaginary part of the exponential function impact its modulus? i.e. what is | e^ix | ?
## e^{a+ib} = e^a e^{ib}##
Start with those...you should get a sense of what needs to happen.

The maximum value of [itex]f(z)[/itex] doesn't make sense since [itex]f(z)[/itex] is a complex number. In general, can one complex number be considered less than another complex number? e.g. is [itex]3i[/itex] "less than" [itex]4i[/itex]? These numbers cannot be compared this way however real numbers can.

Have you learned the maximum modulus principle? If yes, you can parametrize the circle, plug that into the function and then evaluate the modulus. The maximum value will then become clear.

supermiedos said:

Homework Statement

Find the maximum value of f(z) = exp(z) over | z - (1 + i) | ≤ 1

Homework Equations

|f(z)| yields the maximum value

The Attempt at a Solution

f(z) = exp(x) ( cosy + i siny)

Unfortunately that's all I've got. I've seen examples with polynomials, but not with trigonometric functions. Please, any help?

Try writing ##z = 1+i+w##, with ##w = x + i y## and where ##x,y## are real. What do your restrictions on ##z## become in the new variables ##w## or ##x,y##? What does ##|f(z)|## look like in the new variables?

Hi,

I think the most convenient way to start is to imagine the triangle inequality for your boundary. As someone has pointed out already, what would the modulus for exp(ix) be? This will help because the largest modulus of z that you can find will also happen to be the largest modulus for exp(z).

I think a good place to start is to somehow use the triangle inequality on this rather simple identity:

|z| = |z - (1+i) + (1+i)|, and see if you can make use of the transitive property for inequalities.

Do you not know that "if a complex valued function is analytic on a set, then it takes on maximum and minimum values only on the boundary of the set.''

Rellek said:
Hi,

I think the most convenient way to start is to imagine the triangle inequality for your boundary. As someone has pointed out already, what would the modulus for exp(ix) be? This will help because the largest modulus of z that you can find will also happen to be the largest modulus for exp(z).

I think a good place to start is to somehow use the triangle inequality on this rather simple identity:

|z| = |z - (1+i) + (1+i)|, and see if you can make use of the transitive property for inequalities.

If the OP pays attention to post #4, the problem becomes elementary and needs little, if any, deep properties.

Related to Find the maximum value of this complex function

1. What is a complex function?

A complex function is a mathematical function that operates on complex numbers. It takes in one or more complex numbers as inputs and produces a complex number as an output.

2. How do you find the maximum value of a complex function?

To find the maximum value of a complex function, you need to take the derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the complex number that makes the derivative equal to zero. This complex number will be the maximum value of the function.

3. What is the importance of finding the maximum value of a complex function?

The maximum value of a complex function can provide important information about the behavior and characteristics of the function. It can help in understanding the critical points, inflection points, and overall shape of the function.

4. Can the maximum value of a complex function have an imaginary part?

Yes, the maximum value of a complex function can have an imaginary part. This occurs when the function has complex inputs or outputs. In this case, the maximum value will be a complex number with both real and imaginary parts.

5. Are there any specific techniques or methods for finding the maximum value of a complex function?

Yes, there are several methods for finding the maximum value of a complex function, such as using partial derivatives, optimization techniques, and graphical methods. The method used will depend on the complexity of the function and the available resources.