Find the mass, ramp, spring

In summary, a block slides down a slope with length d and angle \theta^0 to the horizontal, compressing a spring with spring constant k to a compression x at the end. The mass of the block can be calculated using the formula m = \frac{kx^2}{2gd(sin\theta - \mu_k)} when the spring is not on the slope. However, if the spring is on the slope, the formula becomes m = \frac{kx^2}{2gd(\mu_k cos\theta - sin\theta)}. The normal force exerted on the block must be correctly calculated using the component of the gravitational force perpendicular to the slope.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

A block starts from rest and slides down a long slope with length d, angled at [tex]\theta^0[/tex] to the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block and slope is [tex]\mu_k[/tex] At the end of the slope, it compresses a spring with spring constant [tex]k[/tex] to a compression [tex]x[/tex]. What is the mass of the block?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sum W = \Delta K[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-kx^2}{2} + mgdsin\theta - \mu_k mgd = 0[/tex]

[tex]m = \frac{kx^2}{2gd(sin\theta - \mu_k)}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the spring on the slope, or is it on the horizontal ?

SammyS said:
Is the spring on the slope, or is it on the horizontal ?

I have no idea, it doesn't say. I am guessing it isn't? If it is you can't solve it right? Because we dont' know how long the spring is (it may be d/2)?

I thought it was horizontal because it says "at the end of the slope"

It appears that it could be worked either way. I'll assume that it is as you say.

What is the normal force exerted on the block by the ramp (or slope)? -- Looks like you have it wrong.

Also, I hope you have drawn a free body diagram for the block, as it slides down the ramp.

SammyS said:
It appears that it could be worked either way. I'll assume that it is as you say.

What is the normal force exerted on the block by the ramp (or slope)? -- Looks like you have it wrong.

Also, I hope you have drawn a free body diagram for the block, as it slides down the ramp.

Ohhhhhh

right-to

Wait how it would it work out if the spring was on the ramp?

It should be

[tex]m = \frac{kx^2}{2gd(\mu_k cos\theta - sin\theta)}[/tex]

First do it correctly assuming it's not on the ramp.

Okay so gravity and theta disappears.

[tex]\sum W = \Delta K[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-kx^2}{2} - \mu mg(d + x) = 0[/tex]

SammyS said:

Actually, you're right. We don't know the uncompressed length -- like you said.

So, the the total distance traveled down the ramp is d. The spring is compressed an amount x.

In your Original Post, you had: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{-kx^2}{2} + mgdsin\theta - \mu_k mgd = 0[/itex]

The work done by the spring is correct: [itex]\displaystyle \frac{-kx^2}{2}\,.[/itex]

The work done by gravity is correct: [itex]\displaystyle mgd\sin\theta\ .[/itex]

The normal force you used is incorrect. What is the component of the gravitational force that's perpendicular to the ramp? That's equal in magnitude (equal but opposite) to the normal force, N .

No I already have the right answer, I thought we aer working on the spring being on the ramp now.

[tex]m = \frac{kx^2}{2gd(\mu_k cos\theta - sin\theta)}[/tex]

I missed your post #6.

My meaning in post #9 is: Forget having the spring on the ramp, for the very reason you gave earlier.

So - - - You're done. It all looks fine !

Related to Find the mass, ramp, spring

What is the purpose of finding the mass, ramp, and spring?

The purpose of finding the mass, ramp, and spring is to determine the relationship between the applied force, the displacement of the mass, and the spring constant. This can help in understanding the behavior of objects in motion and can be applied in various fields such as engineering and physics.

What is the procedure for finding the mass, ramp, and spring?

The procedure for finding the mass, ramp, and spring involves setting up the experiment by placing the mass on the ramp and attaching the spring to the mass. The ramp should be at an angle and the spring should be stretched. Measurements of the angle of the ramp, the displacement of the mass, and the applied force should be taken. These values can then be used to calculate the spring constant.

What is the significance of the mass, ramp, and spring experiment?

The mass, ramp, and spring experiment is significant because it allows for the determination of the spring constant, which is a fundamental property of a spring. This value can be used to predict the behavior of a spring in various situations, making it a useful tool in engineering and physics.

What are the factors that can affect the results of the mass, ramp, and spring experiment?

The results of the mass, ramp, and spring experiment can be affected by various factors such as friction on the ramp, the accuracy of the measurements taken, and external forces acting on the system. It is important to minimize these factors to obtain accurate results.

How can the results of the mass, ramp, and spring experiment be applied in real-life situations?

The results of the mass, ramp, and spring experiment can be applied in real-life situations such as designing and building structures that require the use of springs, understanding the behavior of objects in motion, and determining the force required to compress or stretch a spring to a certain distance. This experiment can also help in calibrating devices that use springs, such as weighing scales and shock absorbers.