Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force

In summary, an electron passing through a potential difference of 25 kV experiences a maximum magnetic force of 4.39 x 10^15J.
StudentofPhysics
In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 25 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.26 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

I know to use F=qvBsin(theta) but the v is lacking. What do I do to find v?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer lies in "electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 25 kV"

What is the relation btw potential difference and the variation in kinetic energy of a particle passing through it.

Or put another way, the 25keV is a measure of the electron's kinetic energy, all due to its velocity. Convert the keV units to Joules, look up the mass of the electron, and...

I know it lies within that statement, but I cannot find a relationship between the two.

I know P=IV, but I lack I. If that's even the right approach to begin with. I figure the energy in the potential difference (Volts) can be converted into a E=mA, but can the E in that equation be expressed in Volts?

ok, I see where you're coming from and I converted it into Joules.

I used 1eV=1.6e-19 joules

x 25kV = 4e-15J

My answer was wrong however, and I believe it is because I converted it with eV instead of V. eV = how many V again?

[tex]q\Delta V = \Delta U[/tex]

Where U is the potential energy. And how are variations of potential energy related to variations of kinetic energy?

This is what I've tried

E=mA = 1.6x10^-19 (25000)

A = E/A = (1.6x10^-19)(25000) / 9.11x10^-31 = 4.39 x 10^15

F = (1.6 x 10^-19) (.26T) (sin 89.9) (4.39 x 10 ^15)

I've also tried without the q because maybe it already was alrady included with the eV.
I've also tried with different thetas, assuming 90* is the biggest sign, but not plausible (although tried), and 89.9* since maybe its plausible and also 45*.

Nothing has been right. ?

StudentofPhysics said:
My answer was wrong however, and I believe it is because I converted it with eV instead of V. eV = how many V again?

This question is meaningless. eV is a measure of energy, V is a measure of energy / culoumb.

It's confusing at first, but you get used to it

[tex]KE = \frac{1}{2} m v^2[/tex] in the mks system of units, [tex][J] = [kg] [m^2 / s^2][/tex]

StudentofPhysics said:
In a television set, electrons are accelerated from rest through a potential difference of 25 kV. The electrons then pass through a 0.26 T magnetic field that deflects them to the appropriate spot on the screen. Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force that an electron can experience.

I know to use F=qvBsin(theta) but the v is lacking. What do I do to find v?

From rest to pd of 25kV, the electrons move with kinetic energy equal to 0.5ev^2 = 25ekV. That gives you the v.

thiotimoline said:
From rest to pd of 25kV, the electrons move with kinetic energy equal to 0.5ev^2 = 25ekV. That gives you the v.
Say what? Why are you taking 0.5eV and squaring it? and what's 25ekV?

EDIT -- Oh, I see what you were trying to type. You should fix the typos on both sides of that equation so it doesn't confuse the OP.

Related to Find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force

1. What is the maximum magnetic force?

The maximum magnetic force is the maximum strength of the magnetic force exerted on a charged particle by a magnetic field.

2. How is the maximum magnetic force calculated?

The maximum magnetic force can be calculated using the equation F = qvB, where q is the charge of the particle, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force?

The magnitude of the maximum magnetic force is affected by the charge of the particle, the velocity of the particle, and the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

4. Can the maximum magnetic force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, the maximum magnetic force can be greater than the weight of an object. This is because the magnetic force is dependent on the charge and velocity of the particle, not its mass.

5. Why is it important to find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force?

It is important to find the magnitude of the maximum magnetic force because it helps scientists understand the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields. This knowledge has various applications, such as in particle accelerators and MRI machines.