Find the Maclaurin series for ln(1-x^2) and its interval of validity.

In summary: That's 2nd derivative, bottom 3rd power, divided by 2!In summary, the conversation is about finding the Maclaurin series for f(x) = ln(1-x^2) and the interval on which the expansion is valid. The answer in the book is shown as Ʃ 5NxN / N!, but it is incorrect due to a sign problem. The correct answer is Ʃ x^2N / N. Additionally, the conversation shifts to discussing the Taylor series for f(x) = 1/x centered at c=1, with the book's answer being Ʃ (-1)^n (x-1)^n. The person is having trouble understanding this answer and
freshcoast

Homework Statement

find the Maclaurin series and find the interval on which the expansion is valid.

f(x) = ln(1-x2 )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty confident in my skill at problems like these, except for this one I am getting an answer different from the book and I can not see why. I have done similar problems using similar steps and have gotten the correct answers but this one I keep getting something different.

25qqd85.jpg

the answer in the book is

Ʃ 5NxN / N!

Physics news on Phys.org
freshcoast said:

Homework Statement

find the Maclaurin series and find the interval on which the expansion is valid.

f(x) = ln(1-x2 )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty confident in my skill at problems like these, except for this one I am getting an answer different from the book and I can not see why. I have done similar problems using similar steps and have gotten the correct answers but this one I keep getting something different.

25qqd85.jpg

Ʃ 5NxN / N!

The books answer isn't right. But yours isn't either. There's a sign problem. The derivative of ln(1-5x) is -5/(1-5x), isn't it?

And so why does your problem say f(x)=ln(1-x^2) and your working say f(x)=ln(1-5x)? Are you just showing the working for a 'similar problem'?

Oh yeah that's true. and damn these books, I've spent a considerably large amount of time trying to figure out why I was wrong!

Oops, I meant to solve for ln(1 - 5x),

But I am also having a problem with ln(1-x^2) aswell, because the book shows differ from my calculations.

adgj1h.jpg

the book shows

Ʃ x^2N / N

freshcoast said:
Oops, I meant to solve for ln(1 - 5x),

But I am also having a problem with ln(1-x^2) aswell, because the book shows differ from my calculations.

adgj1h.jpg

the book shows

Ʃ x^2N / N

I don't know how you are getting those derivatives, but don't you need to use the quotient rule to find the derivatives higher than the first? The simpler way is just find the series for ln(1-x) and then substitute x^2 for x.

Oh alright, I used that way and managed to get the answer, and I'm getting my derivatives using chain rule.

ex.

(1 / x) is equal to x^-1, so using chain rule I get -1(x)^-2 ---> -1 / x^2

Can you also take at a look at this?

They are asking for the Taylor series centered f(x) = 1 / X at c = 1

256rdkk.jpg

Ʃ (-1)^n (x - 1)^n

which I am finding hard to understand

freshcoast said:
Can you also take at a look at this?

They are asking for the Taylor series centered f(x) = 1 / X at c = 1

Ʃ (-1)^n (x - 1)^n

which I am finding hard to understand

Why don't you just try that again. You are matching up the wrong derivatives with the wrong factorials. E.g. 2! should go with the second derivative 2/x^3.

Related to Find the Maclaurin series for ln(1-x^2) and its interval of validity.

What is a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a type of power series expansion that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is centered at x = 0 and is a special case of the Taylor series.

Why are Maclaurin series important?

Maclaurin series are important because they allow us to approximate complicated functions with polynomials, which are easier to work with. They also have many applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science.

How do you find the Maclaurin series for a given function?

To find the Maclaurin series for a given function, you can use the Taylor series formula and evaluate the function and its derivatives at x = 0. You can also use known Maclaurin series for basic functions such as sine, cosine, and exponential functions.

What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Maclaurin series is a special case of the Taylor series, where the series is centered at x = 0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a Taylor series evaluated at a specific point. Taylor series can be centered at any point, while Maclaurin series are specifically centered at x = 0.

How do you use a Maclaurin series to approximate a function?

To approximate a function using a Maclaurin series, you can simply add up the first n terms of the series, where n is the desired degree of accuracy. The more terms you use, the more accurate the approximation will be. You can also use known Maclaurin series for basic functions to approximate more complicated functions.