Find the limit as h --> 0 for this trigonometery equation

In summary: To finish (1), you need to replace ##\cos(2h), \cos(h), \sin(2h)## and ##\sin(h)## by their lowest-order approximations in small ##h##. If you look at a unit circle, centered at the origin, with a point on it at ##(\cos(w), \sin(w))## for small angle ##w## you should be able to see "geometrically" what are ##\cos(w)## and ##\sin(w)## for small ##w## up to terms linear in ##w##. In other words, if we set ##\cos(w) = a + b
SammyS said:
If I understand your idea, you are correct to say that you are not applying L'Hopital .

If I'm right about where this is headed, it still requires recognizing and knowing derivatives of sine and cosine.

If you use my way of solving it, you will not need to even know that f(x)=cos(x) and g(x)=sin(x), the result does not depend on that (in fact, the result is [tex]\frac{-3 f'(x)}{4 g'(x)}[/tex] regardless of who is f(x) and g(x).

To know why it is so, you only need to know that, in general, [tex]\frac{f(x+A)-f(x)}{A}[/tex] goes to [tex]f'(x)[/tex] when A goes to zero (whatever expression A may be).

Likes Helly123
Physics news on Phys.org
The OP said he wants to get the conclusion without using calculus, but is using the specific f(x) and g(x) of the original problem in #1, and is quite close

mattt said:
If you use my way of solving it, you will not need to even know that f(x)=cos(x) and g(x)=sin(x), the result does not depend on that (in fact, the result is [tex]\frac{-3 f'(x)}{4 g'(x)}[/tex] regardless of who is f(x) and g(x).
... and we know that ##\displaystyle \ \frac{-3 f'(x)}{4 g'(x)} = \frac{3}{4} \tan(x) \ ## because ____ ?

Last edited:
Likes Helly123
SammyS said:
... and we know that ##\displaystyle \ \frac{-3 f'(x)}{4 g'(x)} = -\frac{3}{4} \tan(x) \ ## because ____ ?

What I wrote in #32 are simple arithmetic manipulations (in the numerator of the fraction) to get to [tex]-h*\left(2*\frac{f(x-2h)-f(x)}{-2h} + \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}\right)[/tex]

If you do the same type of "clever" arithmetic manipulations in the denominator, you will get to: [tex]h*\left(3*\frac{g(x+3h)-g(x)}{3h} + \frac{g(x-h)-g(x)}{-h}\right)[/tex]

In short:

[tex]\frac{f(x-2h)-f(x+h)}{g(x+3h)-g(x-h)} = \frac{-h*\left(2*\frac{f(x-2h)-f(x)}{-2h} + \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}\right)}{h*\left(3*\frac{g(x+3h)-g(x)}{3h} + \frac{g(x-h)-g(x)}{-h}\right)}=[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{-\left(2*\frac{f(x-2h)-f(x)}{-2h} + \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}\right)}{\left(3*\frac{g(x+3h)-g(x)}{3h} + \frac{g(x-h)-g(x)}{-h}\right)}=[/tex]

And the limit of that last mathematical expression, when h goes to zero, is:

[tex]=\frac{-3*f'(x)}{4*g'(x)}[/tex].

Likes Helly123
mattt said:
[tex]=\frac{-3f'(x)}{4g'(x)}[/tex].
I have no argument with getting that far.

It's just not the final result.

SammyS said:
I have no argument with getting that far.

It's just not the final result.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

I just gave a mathematical proof of [tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x-2h)-f(x+h)}{g(x+3h)-g(x-h)}=\frac{-3*f'(x)}{4*g'(x)}[/tex] for any "f" and "g" with the sole condition that both are differentiable at the point "x".

If you want to particularize that general result, for the concrete case f(x) = cos(x) and g(x) = sin(x), then:

[tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x-2h)-f(x+h)}{g(x+3h)-g(x-h)}=\frac{-3*f'(x)}{4*g'(x)}=\frac{3*sin(x)}{4*cos(x)}=\frac{3}{4}*tan(x)[/tex]

Likes Helly123