Find the inner product of the Pauli matrices and the momentum operator?

Finally, we can use the definition of the displacement vector, \vec{r}, to substitute for the components of \vec{p}:p_{x} = \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} = \frac{\hbar}{i} x \frac{\partial}{\partial x}p_{y} = \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial y} = \frac{\hbar}{i} y \frac{\partial}{\partial y}p_{z} = \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial z} = \frac{\hbar}{i} z \frac{\
Homo Novus

Homework Statement

Show that the inner product of the Pauli matrices, σ, and the momentum operator, [itex]\vec{p}[/itex], is given by:

σ [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/itex] (σ [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] )([itex]\frac{\hbar}{i}[/itex] r [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}[/itex] + iσ [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\vec{L}[/itex]),

where [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] is the angular momentum operator and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is the displacement vector.

Homework Equations

p[itex]_{x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\hbar}{i}[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{L}[/itex] = [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] × [itex]\vec{p}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured that I could write:

[itex]\vec{p}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\hbar}{i}[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}[/itex] [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]

So then:
σ [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\vec{p}[/itex] = (σ [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]) [itex]\frac{\hbar}{i}[/itex] [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}[/itex]
= [itex]\frac{1}{r}[/itex] (σ [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\vec{r}[/itex]) [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}[/itex]

... But that clearly gets me nowhere. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org

To solve this problem, we can start by writing out the expression for the dot product between the Pauli matrices and the momentum operator:

σ \cdot \vec{p} = σ_{x}p_{x} + σ_{y}p_{y} + σ_{z}p_{z}

Next, we can use the expressions given in the homework equations to substitute for the momentum components:

p_{x} = \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial x}, p_{y} = \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial y}, p_{z} = \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{\partial}{\partial z}

Using this, we can rewrite the dot product as:

σ \cdot \vec{p} = \frac{\hbar}{i} (σ_{x} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + σ_{y} \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + σ_{z} \frac{\partial}{\partial z})

Next, we can use the definition of the angular momentum operator given in the homework equations to substitute for the components of \vec{L}:

L_{x} = yp_{z} - zp_{y}, L_{y} = zp_{x} - xp_{z}, L_{z} = xp_{y} - yp_{x}

Using this, we can rewrite the dot product as:

σ \cdot \vec{p} = \frac{\hbar}{i} (σ_{x} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} + σ_{y} \frac{\partial}{\partial y} + σ_{z} \frac{\partial}{\partial z})
= \frac{\hbar}{i} (σ_{x} (yp_{z} - zp_{y}) + σ_{y} (zp_{x} - xp_{z}) + σ_{z} (xp_{y} - yp_{x}))

Using the definitions of the Pauli matrices, we can simplify this expression to:

σ \cdot \vec{p} = \frac{\hbar}{i} (σ_{x}yp_{z} - σ_{x}zp_{y} + σ_{y}zp_{x} - σ_{y}xp_{z} + σ_{z}xp_{y} - σ_{z}

Related to Find the inner product of the Pauli matrices and the momentum operator?

1. What is the inner product?

The inner product, also known as the dot product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a scalar value. It is defined as the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

2. What are the Pauli matrices?

The Pauli matrices are a set of three 2x2 matrices named after physicist Wolfgang Pauli. They are represented as σ1, σ2, and σ3 and are used in quantum mechanics to represent the spin of particles.

3. What is the momentum operator?

The momentum operator is a mathematical operator in quantum mechanics that represents the momentum of a particle. It is represented by the letter p and is defined as the product of the particle's mass and its velocity.

4. How do you find the inner product of the Pauli matrices and the momentum operator?

To find the inner product of the Pauli matrices and the momentum operator, you need to take the dot product of the two matrices. This involves multiplying the corresponding elements of the matrices and adding them together.

5. What is the significance of finding the inner product of the Pauli matrices and the momentum operator?

The inner product of the Pauli matrices and the momentum operator is important in quantum mechanics as it helps to determine the spin of a particle. It also plays a role in calculating the expectation value of certain physical quantities, such as energy and angular momentum.