Find the general solution to the differential equation

In summary, the differential equation y'+(12x^11)y=x^12 has an elementary solution that can be found by multiplying the equation by e^(12x) and then integrating both sides. The solution is y(x)=e^(-x^12)(x^12)I, where I stands for the integral of e^(x^12).
ani9890
Find the general solution to the differential equation
y'+(12x^11)y=x^12

Use the variable I= the integral of e^(x^12)dx where it occurs in your answer.

According to some people, it doesn't have an elementary solution, look at:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y%27+%2B+12*x^11*y+%3D+x^12

there's a incomplete gamma function ?

can someone please show me how to solve this problem, thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ani9890! Welcome to PF :smile:

Wolfram Alpha has a strange way of solving differential equations. But there is an elementary solution, as it is a simple linear differential equation. How can you solve such equations?

Hint : Start by analyzing what the integrating factor is...

so I end up with this,

d/dx[ye^(x^12)] = x^12*e^(x^12)

and I'm supposed to integrate both sides, but the right side can't be integrated to give a elementary solution. So what should I do?

I was thinking y(x)=e^(-x^12)(x^12)I
where I stands for the integral of e^(x^12) , but I'm sure this is wrong lol

ani9890 said:
so I end up with this,

d/dx[ye^(x^12)] = x^12*e^(x^12)

and I'm supposed to integrate both sides, but the right side can't be integrated to give a elementary solution. So what should I do?

I was thinking y(x)=e^(-x^12)(x^12)I
where I stands for the integral of e^(x^12) , but I'm sure this is wrong lol

No:

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(ye^{\displaystyle x^{12}}\right)=y'\ e^{\displaystyle x^{12}}+y\,e^{\displaystyle x^{12}}\left(12x^{11}\right)[/itex]

So, what if you multiply your Dif.Eq. by e12x ?

Related to Find the general solution to the differential equation

1. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution for a differential equation?

A general solution to a differential equation is an equation that contains all possible solutions, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies given initial conditions. General solutions typically include a constant term to account for all possible solutions, while particular solutions do not.

2. How do you find the general solution to a differential equation?

To find the general solution to a differential equation, you must first solve the equation by using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration. Once you have found a solution, you can add a constant term and any necessary terms to create a general solution that accounts for all possible solutions.

3. Can there be more than one general solution to a differential equation?

Yes, there can be infinitely many general solutions to a differential equation. This is because a general solution contains a constant term that can take on any value, resulting in different equations that all satisfy the original differential equation.

4. How do you know if a particular solution is valid?

A particular solution to a differential equation is valid if it satisfies all given initial conditions. These conditions could include values for the dependent variable, its derivative, or both at a specific point or interval. If the particular solution satisfies all initial conditions, it is considered a valid solution to the differential equation.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the general solution to a differential equation?

While there are no shortcuts or tricks for finding the general solution to a differential equation, there are various techniques and methods that can make the process easier. These include identifying the type of differential equation (e.g. linear, separable, exact) and using appropriate methods for solving it, such as integrating factors or substitution. Practice and familiarity with these techniques can also make finding general solutions easier over time.