Find the general solution of a coupled differential equation:

In summary, the homework statement is about solving two equations that describe the trajectory of a charged particle in an electric field. The equations are coupled and the general solution is elusive to obtain. Differentiating the equations and integrating gives the final solution, which is a ramp minus a sinusoidal curve.
vorcil

Homework Statement

I want to find the general solution of these two equations,

[tex]\ddot{y}=\omega\dot{z}[/tex]

[tex]\ddot{z}=\omega\left(\frac{\mathbf{E}}{\mathbf{B}} - \dot{y}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

These two equations are the result of quantitatively solving to find the trajectory of a charged particle in a uniform electric field, perpendicular to a magnetic one,

Suppose that the B field points in the x direction, and the E field in the z direction, and the particle is released from rest,

the lorentz force law,
[tex] \mathbf{F}_{mag} = Q(\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B}) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(i'm just going to show you how I got to the coupled differential equations

there is no force in the x direction due to the magnetic field being in that direction,

the position of the particle at t can be described by the vector, (0, y(t), z(t))

so [tex] \mathbf{v}=(0,\dot{y},\dot{z}) [/tex]
(the dots are the derivatives with respect to time)
calculating the cross product from the Lorentz force law,

[tex] \mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B} = \left| \begin{array}{ccc} \mathbf{\hat{x}} & \mathbf{\hat{y}} & \mathbf{\hat{z}} \\ 0 & \dot{y}& \dot{z} \\ \mathbf{B}& 0& 0 \\ \end{array} \right| =B \dot{z}\mathbf{\hat{y}} - B\dot{y}\mathbf{\hat{z}} [/tex]

and applying Newtons second law, F=ma=QE=Q(v\timesB)=Q(E+(v\timesB))
[tex] \mathbf{F} = Q(\mathbf{E}+(\mathbf{v}\times\mathbf{B})) = Q(E\mathbf{\hat{z}} + B \dot{z}\mathbf{\hat{y}} - B\dot{y}\mathbf{\hat{z}} = m\mathbf{a} = m(\ddot{y}\mathbf{\hat{y}}+\ddot{z}\mathbf{\hat{z}} [/tex]

separating the [tex] \hat{y} & \hat{z} [/tex] components

[tex] \mathbf{QB}\dot{z} = m\ddot{y} [/tex] & [tex] \mathbf{QE - QB}\dot{y} = m\ddot{z} [/tex]

substituting in the cyclotron frequency formula, [tex] \omega = \frac{\mathbf{QB}}{m} [/tex]

I get the two coupled differential equations that I showed earlier,1: [tex]\ddot{y}=\omega\dot{z}[/tex]

2: [tex]\ddot{z}=\omega\left(\frac{\mathbf{E}}{\mathbf{B}} - \dot{y}\right)[/tex]

I want to figure out the general solution, but I can never get it,
I'm supposed to Differentiate the first function and then use the second to eliminate [tex] \ddot{z} [/tex]

-

well if I differentiate the first equation,

I get a triple dot y, [tex] \dot{\ddot{y}} = w\ddot{z} [/tex]
Is that how I differentiate the first equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vorcil said:

well if I differentiate the first equation,

I get a triple dot y, [tex] \dot{\ddot{y}} = w\ddot{z} [/tex]
Is that how I differentiate the first equation?

Yes. And you substitute the value of [tex] \ddot{z} [/tex] from second equation there.

so,

[tex] \dot{\ddot{y}} = \omega \omega(\frac{\mathbf{E}}{\mathbf{B}}-\dot{y})=\omega^2 (\frac{\mathbf{E}}{\mathbf{B}}-\dot{y}) [/tex]

[tex] \omega^2 = (\frac{QB}{m})^2 [/tex]

[tex] \mathbf{QE - QB}\dot{y} = mw(\frac{\mathbf{E}}{\mathbf{B}}-\dot{y}) = QB*(\frac{\mathbf{E}}{\mathbf{B}}-\dot{y} [/tex]

I don't understand what to do from here

Differentiate 2nd equation. Plug in y[tex]^{..}[/tex] from first equation. It looks like a sinusoidal equation, with z[tex]^{.}[/tex] as your variable. Find z[tex]^{.}[/tex] from here, and z. Plug it back in the equations and similarly find y.

The approach you are using, certainly works. Its just slightly messier.

Sourabh N said:
Differentiate 2nd equation. Plug in y[tex]^{..}[/tex] from first equation. It looks like a sinusoidal equation, with z[tex]^{.}[/tex] as your variable. Find z[tex]^{.}[/tex] from here, and z. Plug it back in the equations and similarly find y.

The approach you are using, certainly works. Its just slightly messier.

ok if equation2= [tex] \ddot{z} = \omega (\frac{E}{B} - \dot{y}) [/tex]
then expanding

[tex] \ddot{z} = \omega (\frac{E}{B}) - \omega(\dot{y}) [/tex]

and differentiating

[tex] \dot{\ddot{z}} =\frac{E}{B} - \omega(\ddot{y}) [/tex]

then plugging in [tex] \ddot{y} [/tex] from the first equation

[tex] \dot{\ddot{z}} = \frac{E}{B} - \omega(\omega\dot{z}) = \frac{E}{B}-\omega^2\dot{z} [/tex]

I don't see how this looks like a sinusoidal equation?

so to get rid of those dots, I integrate?

Well, you can't just integrate. Do you know anything at all about solving "linear differential equations with constant coefficients"?

HallsofIvy said:
Well, you can't just integrate. Do you know anything at all about solving "linear differential equations with constant coefficients"?

Well I know how to integrate, and I've dealed with hard differential/coupled equations in physics before, but haven't started proper, differential equations in mathematics yet, I don't think?
is it just the same as integrating normal linear equations?

Last edited:
vorcil said:
ok if equation2= [tex] \ddot{z} = \omega (\frac{E}{B} - \dot{y})

[tex] \dot{\ddot{z}} = \frac{E}{B} - \omega(\omega\dot{z}) = \frac{E}{B}-\omega^2\dot{z} [/tex]

I don't see how this looks like a sinusoidal equation?

so to get rid of those dots, I integrate?

So it's essentially an ODE with constant coeff
[tex]y'''+\omega ^2y'=K[/tex]
Perhaps the easiest way to solve it is using LapLace transform. To make life further easier, assuming you have the system completely at rest for t=0, i.e. y(0)=y'(0)=y''(0). Take LT of both sides and rearrange one would get:
[tex]Y(s)=\frac{K}{s^2(s^2+\omega^2)}=\frac{K}{\omega^2}(\frac{1}{s^2}-\frac{1}{s^2+\omega^2})[/tex]

So the solution is a ramp minus a sinusoid.

I really dislike the use of the Laplace transform for problems like this!

If you were to try a solution of the form [itex]y= e^{rx}[/itex], then you would have [itex]y'= re^{rx}[/itex], y"=[itex]r^2e^{rx}[/itex], [itex]y'''= r^3e^{rx}[/itex] and the "associated homogeneous equation" (with the "K" dropped) becomes [itex]r^3e^{rx}+ \omega^2 r e^{rx}= (r^3+ \omega r)e^{rx}= r(r^2+ \omega)e^{rx}= 0[/itex]. Since [itex]e^{rx}[/itex] can't be 0, we must have [itex]r(r^2+ \omega)= 0[/itex] which gives r= 0 and [itex]r= \pm i\sqrt{\omega}[/itex]. Of course, [itex]e^{ix}= cos(x)+ i sin(x)[/itex] so we can write [itex]e^{it\sqrt{\omega}}[/itex] and [itex]it\sqrt{\omega}}[/itex] in terms of [itex]cos(t\sqrt{\omega})[/itex] and [itex]sin(t\sqrt{\omega})[/itex]. Of course, [itex]e^{0t}= 1[/itex]: the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation is
[tex]C+ Dcos(t\sqrt{\omega})+ Esin(t\sqrt{\omega})[/tex].

To find the solution to the entire equation, try a constant solution, y= A, and add to that previous solution.

What should I do here Ivy? I think I'll just go down to the physics department on tuesday and ask one of the tutors to help me, I don't know how they expect me to solve this, sad thing is, I think everyone else in my class can do this really quick, but I can't, bugger it.

vorcil said:
What should I do here Ivy? I think I'll just go down to the physics department on tuesday and ask one of the tutors to help me, I don't know how they expect me to solve this, sad thing is, I think everyone else in my class can do this really quick, but I can't, bugger it.

Ivy's way is more "mathematician". The main idea is assuming the solution in form of complex exponential. Since God makes [tex](e^{st})'=se^{st}[/tex], the DE will be converted to a algebra equations. I think this hinted Oliver Heaviside to invent using LT to solve this kind of DE, by letting s=a+jb.

As engineer, we were trained to use LT for linear ODE with constant coeffs which is the guts of LTI systems. We did learn Ivy's way before LT was taught. So I think you should know both.

Last edited:

Related to Find the general solution of a coupled differential equation:

1. What is a coupled differential equation?

A coupled differential equation is a type of differential equation that involves multiple variables and their derivatives. These variables are connected to each other in such a way that the values of one variable depend on the values of the other variables.

2. How do you find the general solution of a coupled differential equation?

To find the general solution of a coupled differential equation, you will need to use a method called separation of variables. This involves isolating the variables on one side of the equation and integrating both sides. The result will be a general solution that can be adjusted to fit specific initial conditions.

3. Can you give an example of a coupled differential equation?

One example of a coupled differential equation is the Lotka-Volterra equations, which are used to model the population dynamics of predator-prey relationships. They involve two variables: the population of predators and the population of prey, and their derivatives are connected through a set of parameters.

4. What are the applications of solving coupled differential equations?

Solving coupled differential equations is essential in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They are used to model and understand complex systems, make predictions, and solve real-world problems.

5. Are there any techniques to simplify the process of finding the general solution of a coupled differential equation?

Yes, there are some techniques that can make the process of finding the general solution of a coupled differential equation easier. One of these techniques is the method of substitution, where one variable is substituted with another to reduce the equation to a single variable. Another technique is the method of the integrating factor, which can be used to solve certain types of coupled differential equations.