Find the frame length with derivative

In summary, the optimum frame length is nf=B which maximizes transmission efficiency for a channel with random bit errors.
DODGEVIPER13
Find the optimum frame length nf that maximizes transmission efficiency for a channel with random bit erros by taking the derivative and setting it to zero for the following protocols:
(a) Stop-and-Wait ARQ
(b) Go-Back-N ARQ
(c) Selective Repeat ARQ

My work has been uploaded I am a bit rusty on derivative, so I am pretty sure I made a mistake just unsure of where.

Attachments

• EPSON008.JPG
    EPSON008.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
The last factor with nf is wrong I think. I used the duv = u*dv + v*du rule with v= (nf+B)^-1 and got a different factor from yours so check it again and post your result.

What did you use for u? I guess you did a u substitution to do this then so if I find u I can do the derivative.

EPSON001.JPG

My apologies, I must have done something wrong. Yours looks correct. How is the book answer different? That might tell you where the real error is.

Okay I think I see your error. You differentiated the a^nf and multiplied it to the differentiated version of the second factor. Don't you have to apply the duv product rule here too?

With u=a^nf and v= the rest.

Sorry if the post is a bit confusing and my slow responses.
EPSON002.JPG

Is my answer improved at all?

Yes, it looks right but you can do more by extracting out the a^nf factor and by finding a common denominator so you can combine numerator terms ie multiply the second term by (nf+B)/(nf+B).

Posted this with my phone sorry if it is hard to read
1412268926261.jpg

So should this be simplified further?

I can't see anything further. Does this differ from some book answer you have? or were you expecting it to be much simpler?

Related to Find the frame length with derivative

1. What is the purpose of finding the frame length with derivative?

The frame length with derivative is used to determine the optimal length of a data frame in order to accurately capture the data's behavior. This is particularly useful in signal processing and data analysis, where having the correct frame length can greatly improve the accuracy and efficiency of data processing.

2. How is the frame length with derivative calculated?

The frame length with derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of the data and finding the point of inflection, where the slope changes from positive to negative or vice versa. This point of inflection corresponds to the optimal frame length.

3. What types of data can benefit from finding the frame length with derivative?

Data that is collected over a period of time and exhibits changes in behavior can benefit from finding the frame length with derivative. This includes data from sensors, signals, and other time-series data.

4. Are there any limitations to using the frame length with derivative?

One limitation of using the frame length with derivative is that it assumes a linear relationship between the data and time. If the data has a non-linear relationship, then the optimal frame length may not be accurately determined.

5. Can the frame length with derivative be used for real-time data processing?

Yes, the frame length with derivative can be used for real-time data processing as long as the data is continuously collected and the derivative calculation can be performed in real-time. This can be useful for monitoring and analyzing data in real-time, such as in streaming applications or live data feeds.