Find the first three terms a geometric sequence

In summary, the author is trying to solve a geometric series and is stuck. He finds a value for r and then solves for the other terms.
NotaPhysicist

Homework Statement

Find the first three terms of a geometric sequence given that the sum of the first four terms is 65/3 and the sum to infinity is 27.

Homework Equations

[tex]
\begin{array}{1}
S_n = \frac{a(1 - r^n)}{1 - r}\\
S_n = \frac{a(r^n - 1}{r - 1}
\end{array}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to get two equations in two unknowns.

I end with

a + 27r = 27

But I get lost after that. Trying to solve the sum leaves me with a equation to fourth or fifth power which I can't solve.

I'm sure there's a simple approach to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formula for the sum to infinity for a geometric series?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_progression#Infinite_geometric_series

EDIT: Sorry, just realized that is where you got your equation from.

Consider this:

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{S_\infty } = \frac{a}{{1 - r}}\\
{S_3} = \frac{{a(1 - {r^3})}}{{1 - r}} = {S_\infty }(1 - {r^3})
\end{array}[/tex]

Do you see how that can help?

Last edited:
is there a latex form to be typed

For some reason my latex code isn't working. Latex is voodoo magic. No doubt about it.

I'm still stuck.

So I end up with

[tex] S_3 = 27(1 - r^3) [/tex]

Then where do I go from there? Trying to find the common ratio leaves me with a mess. I know I should end up with a quadratic equation and two sets of solutions, but I completely stumped on how to get there.

Using the same idea Danago has given, what is S4?

NotaPhysicist said:
For some reason my latex code isn't working. Latex is voodoo magic. No doubt about it.
Either that or you used "[\tex]" rather than the correct "[/tex]" to end it! I have corrected it.

Mentallic said:
Using the same idea Danago has given, what is S4?

I got it! Solving for S_4 as above yields a value for r, and from there the other values can be solved, not a quadratic equation in sight.

Thank you. I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I'm beginning to understand how you guys work now. You don't just hand out the fish, you instead teach us how to fish. Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks again.

Good on you :smile:

Well of course! Your markers are going to determine how well you can fish by showing them there and then what you can do, not what fish you've caught in your homework :-p

I think I took the fish analogy too far hehe... Best of luck Notaphysicist!

Related to Find the first three terms a geometric sequence

What is a geometric sequence?

A geometric sequence is a sequence of numbers in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value. This constant value is known as the common ratio, and it remains the same throughout the entire sequence.

How do you find the first three terms of a geometric sequence?

To find the first three terms of a geometric sequence, you need to know the first term (a) and the common ratio (r). The first term is typically denoted as a1, and the second and third terms are found by multiplying the first term by r and r2, respectively. Therefore, the first three terms of a geometric sequence are a1, a1 * r, and a1 * r2.

What is the formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence?

The formula for finding the nth term of a geometric sequence is an = a1 * rn-1, where an represents the nth term, a1 is the first term, and r is the common ratio.

Can a geometric sequence have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric sequence can have a negative common ratio. This means that each term in the sequence will have a different sign (positive or negative), but the magnitude (absolute value) of each term will still increase or decrease by the same factor.

What is the difference between a geometric sequence and an arithmetic sequence?

The main difference between a geometric sequence and an arithmetic sequence is that in a geometric sequence, each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant value (common ratio), while in an arithmetic sequence, each term is found by adding a constant value (common difference) to the previous term.