Find the equation of the plane in the canonical basis

In summary, the problem is asking for the equation of a plane in different coordinate bases, and the solution involves using vector cross products and dot products. The first part involves finding the equation in the canonical basis, and the second part involves finding a new basis where the equation of the plane is y''= 0.
Toncho1
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi!
Can help me with this problem with my exercise?I don´t know if i did it okay or i have to do anymore
Is there another form to do it?
Be the π plane, whose equation with the base B (with coordinates (x ', y', z')) is z'= 0.
B={(1,1,0),(0,1,1),(1,-1,1)}.
a)Find the equation of the plane in the canonical basis. Prove analytically, how to get the same result.
b)Could you give a base B´(coordinate (x'', y'', z'')) in which the equation of the plane is y''= 0?

So, i did this:
a)
B = { u1, u2, u3} and canonic base K = { i, j, k }
u1 = i + j, u2 = j + k
u1 x u2 = u3
the equation of plane π is z ' = 0
therefore : this plane passes through origin and is perpendicular to u3 = i - j + k
the equation of plane π in K is :
OM . (i - j - k) = 0
giving :
x - y + z = 0

b)the equation of plane π is : third coordinate = 0
it is enough to keep the same vectors as those in U provided the SECOND is u3 :
in basis :
V = { u1, u3, u2 }
the equation of plane π is : second coordinate : y" = 0

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and welcome to physicsforums!

Your answers look correct to me.

Related to Find the equation of the plane in the canonical basis

What is the definition of a plane in the canonical basis?

A plane in the canonical basis is a two-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions and is defined by a set of three non-collinear points or a point and a normal vector.

How do you find the equation of a plane in the canonical basis?

The equation of a plane in the canonical basis can be found by using the coordinates of three non-collinear points on the plane or a point and a normal vector. These coordinates are then substituted into the general equation of a plane, which is Ax + By + Cz + D = 0, where A, B, and C are the coefficients of the x, y, and z terms, and D is a constant.

What is the significance of the canonical basis when finding the equation of a plane?

The canonical basis, also known as the standard basis, is a set of unit vectors that form the basis of a coordinate system. When finding the equation of a plane, using the canonical basis ensures that the plane is defined in a consistent and standardized manner.

Can the equation of a plane in the canonical basis be written in different forms?

Yes, the equation of a plane in the canonical basis can be written in different forms, such as point-normal form or vector form. These forms may be more convenient for certain applications, but they are all equivalent and represent the same plane.

What is the role of the normal vector in the equation of a plane in the canonical basis?

The normal vector is a crucial component of the equation of a plane in the canonical basis. It is perpendicular to the plane and dictates the orientation of the plane in 3D space. The coefficients of the normal vector are used to determine the values of A, B, and C in the general equation of a plane, and the direction of the normal vector can also be used to determine the orientation of the plane.