Find the equation of a tangent line at each given point

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is stuck on a homework problem involving equations with theta as a parameter. They have solved for dy/dx and are now trying to figure out how to get rid of theta to get the equation in terms of x. They have proposed a method involving sin and cos, but it is not necessary to eliminate theta to find the slope. The conversation also touches on the use of theta to represent a parameter and the importance of determining the correct value of theta for a given point.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

in title

Homework Equations

x=2cotθ
y=2sin2θ
dy/dx = 2sin3θcosθ
y-y1=m(x-x1)
point = (-2/√3,(3/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Have been stuck for hours

I solved for the dy/dx above, now I need to figure out how to get rid of the θ to get my equation in terms of x
so I was thinking sqrt(y/2) = sinθ and (x/2)*sinθ = cosθ

is this a correct approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently ##\theta## is a parameter: ##x=x(\theta), y=y(\theta)##. Is that right? So you can write ##sin(\theta)=f(y), cos(\theta)=g(y)##. Then you eliminate ##\theta## and get ##x=x(y)## and ##\frac{dx}{dy}=h(y)##.

Likes isukatphysics69
There is no need to get rid of ##\theta## in order to figure out the slope. What you do need to do is to figure out what value of ##\theta## you should be using, i.e., which value of ##\theta## corresponds to the given point.

Likes isukatphysics69
@Orodruin is right; I don't know what I was thinking of.

Likes isukatphysics69
How is the point point = (-2/sqrt(3),(3/2) the same as 2pi/3?

Related to Find the equation of a tangent line at each given point

1. What is the purpose of finding the equation of a tangent line at a given point?

Finding the equation of a tangent line allows us to determine the slope of a curve at a specific point. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as predicting the motion of objects or analyzing the rate of change in a process.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line at a given point?

To find the equation of a tangent line at a given point, we use the derivative of the function at that point. The derivative gives us the slope of the tangent line, and we can then use the point-slope form of a line to find the equation.

3. Can a tangent line be vertical?

No, a tangent line cannot be vertical. This is because a vertical line has an undefined slope, and a tangent line must have a defined slope at the point of tangency. However, a horizontal line can be a tangent line if the curve is flat at that point.

4. What is the difference between a secant line and a tangent line?

A secant line is a line that intersects a curve at two points, while a tangent line only touches the curve at one point. The slope of a secant line represents the average rate of change between the two points, while the slope of a tangent line represents the instantaneous rate of change at the point of tangency.

5. Can the equation of a tangent line change at different points on a curve?

Yes, the equation of a tangent line can change at different points on a curve. This is because the slope of a curve can vary at different points, and the equation of a tangent line is dependent on the slope at that specific point. Therefore, the equation of a tangent line can change as we move along the curve.