Find the eigenvalues of this matrix

In summary, the conversation is about finding the eigenvalues of a matrix C and the difficulty the person is experiencing in doing so. They mention using an elementary row operation to simplify the calculation but cannot think of a suitable one to use. They then describe subtracting columns from each other as a possible step but are unsure if it is valid. Another person reassures them that they are doing well and can already see the eigenvalues, which are l = 1 or l = 0.97.
Benny
I'm experiencing difficulties trying to find the eigenvalues of the follow matrix. The hint is to use an elementary row operation to simplify [tex]C - \lambda I[/tex] but I can't think of a suitable one to use or figure out whether a single row operation will actually make the calculations simpler.

[tex]
C = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{0.98} & {0.01} \\
{0.02} & {0.99} \\
\end{array}} \right]
[/tex]

[tex]
\det \left( {C - \lambda I} \right) = 0 \Rightarrow \left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{0.98 - \lambda } & {0.01} \\
{0.02} & {0.99 - \lambda } \\
\end{array}} \right| = 0
[/tex]

Out of desperation, and having seen it being done once(not sure if it is correct) I decided to then subtract the first column from the second column.

[tex]
\left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{0.98 - \lambda } & { - 0.97 + \lambda } \\
{0.02} & {0.97 - \lambda } \\
\end{array}} \right| = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
\left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
{1 - \lambda } & 0 \\
{0.02} & {0.97 - \lambda } \\
\end{array}} \right| = 0
[/tex]

I'm not even sure if subtracting columns from each other was a valid step. I know that subtracting rows is but I'm not sure about columns. I'm just wondering if that step was correct because if it is then I can get the eigenvalues from it fairly easily.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing great! You can even see the eigenvalues right now, l = 1 or l = 0.97 :smile:

I would first like to commend you for your effort and determination in trying to find the eigenvalues of this matrix. It is not an easy task, and it requires a lot of mathematical understanding and problem-solving skills.

Now, to address your concerns, subtracting columns from each other is a valid step in elementary row operations, as it does not change the determinant of the matrix. However, in this case, it may not lead to a simpler calculation for finding the eigenvalues.

A better approach would be to use the characteristic equation, as you have correctly done, and solve for the roots. In this case, we can use the quadratic formula to find the eigenvalues:

\lambda = \frac{0.98 + 0.99 \pm \sqrt{(0.98 - 0.99)^2 - 4(0.98)(0.99 - \lambda)}}{2} = 0.985 \pm 0.014i

Therefore, the eigenvalues of this matrix are 0.985 + 0.014i and 0.985 - 0.014i.

In general, finding eigenvalues can be a challenging task, and sometimes there is no simple way to do it. As a scientist, it is important to be familiar with different methods and techniques in order to solve such problems efficiently. Keep exploring and learning, and don't be afraid to ask for help or consult with experts in the field.

Related to Find the eigenvalues of this matrix

1. What are eigenvalues and why are they important?

Eigenvalues are the special values that represent the scaling factor of an eigenvector in a linear transformation. They are important because they provide crucial information about the behavior of a matrix and its associated linear transformation.

2. How do I find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you can use the characteristic polynomial method or the diagonalization method. The characteristic polynomial method involves finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial of the matrix, while the diagonalization method involves finding the eigenvalues of the diagonal matrix that is similar to the original matrix.

3. Can a matrix have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, a matrix can have complex eigenvalues. In fact, if a matrix has complex coefficients, it will almost always have complex eigenvalues. However, the complex eigenvalues always occur in conjugate pairs.

4. What is the relationship between the eigenvalues and determinant of a matrix?

The eigenvalues of a matrix are the roots of its characteristic polynomial, which is the determinant of the matrix minus the identity matrix. Therefore, the product of the eigenvalues is equal to the determinant of the matrix.

5. How can I use eigenvalues in real-world applications?

Eigenvalues have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They can be used to solve systems of differential equations, analyze the stability of dynamic systems, compress data in signal processing, and much more. They also have applications in data analysis and machine learning algorithms.