Find the eigenvalues of this endomorphism of R[X]

• Thread starter penguin007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, the conversation discusses the eigenvalues of an endomorphism f of Rn[X]. The function f(P)(X) is given by ((aX+b)P)', and the problem is to find the values of c for which f(P)=(aX+b)^c. The solution involves setting Q=(aX+b)P and solving for Q(X)=(aX+b)^{c/a}, which leads to the values of c as those for which c/a-1 is an integer, allowing P to be a polynomial.
penguin007

Homework Statement

f is an endomorphism of Rn[X]
f(P)(X)=((aX+b)P)'

eigenvalues of f?

Homework Equations

(a,b)<>(0,0)

The Attempt at a Solution

If a=0, then f(P)=bP', and only P=constant is solution

if a<>0, then I put Q=(ax+b)P, f(P)=cP is equivalent to (ax+b)Q'=Q (E)

I solved (E) and found Q(X)=(aX+b)^c but then if I say P(X)=(aX+b)^(c-1), I can't find c...

Physics news on Phys.org

Is f(P)=(aX+b)P' or [(aX+b)P]'? You wrote it both ways.

f(P)=[(aX+b)P]'

Sorry, I misread your initial post. I see what you did now. Your solution for Q(X) should be [itex]Q(X)=(aX+b)^{c/a}[/itex] so [itex]P(X)=(aX+b)^{c/a-1}[/itex]. Do you see now what values c can be?

Thanks a lot vela, I mistook when I solved (E)... Now I can see the values for c (s.t c/a-1 is integer and therefore P is a polynom)...

Related to Find the eigenvalues of this endomorphism of R[X]

1. What is an eigenvalue?

An eigenvalue is a scalar value that represents the scaling factor of an eigenvector when multiplied by a given matrix or endomorphism. In other words, it is the value that remains unchanged when a vector is transformed by a matrix or endomorphism.

2. Why is it important to find eigenvalues?

Finding eigenvalues allows us to understand how a matrix or endomorphism will affect a given vector. It also helps us solve systems of linear equations and analyze the stability of dynamic systems, among other applications.

3. How do you find eigenvalues?

To find eigenvalues of an endomorphism, we need to solve the characteristic equation, which is det(A - λI) = 0. This involves finding the determinant of the matrix A subtracted by the identity matrix multiplied by the eigenvalue (represented by λ). The solutions to this equation are the eigenvalues of the endomorphism.

4. Can an endomorphism have complex eigenvalues?

Yes, an endomorphism can have complex eigenvalues. This is common in higher dimensional spaces and can provide important information about the transformation of vectors within the space.

5. How do eigenvalues relate to eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are closely related. Eigenvectors are the vectors that are scaled by the eigenvalues when transformed by a matrix or endomorphism. In other words, they are the vectors that remain on the same line or plane after the transformation. Each eigenvector has a corresponding eigenvalue, and the set of all eigenvectors and eigenvalues for a given matrix or endomorphism form the eigendecomposition.