Find the Distance for Net Zero Force: Two Charges at Origin and x=L

In summary, the problem states that two charges, +8e and -2e, are fixed in location at the origin and on the x-axis at x=L respectively. The question asks at what point can a proton be placed so that it has net zero force acting on it. The formula to calculate the force between two charges is F=kq1q2/r^2. However, since a proton has a charge of +1e, it cannot be used in this equation. The solution involves considering the forces acting on the proton and finding the point where they balance out, which can be determined by drawing a diagram of the situation.
cmcdonald29
1.)Two charges are fixed in location: charge q1= +8e is located at the origin and charge q2= -2e is located on the x-axis at x=L. At what point can a proton be placed so that it has net zero force acting on it?

2.)F=kq1q2/r^2

3.)I tried to do F=0
K = 8.988 X 10^9 (constant)
q1 = (8 protons) X (1.602 X 10^-19) ---> (individual charge of one proton)
q2 = (2 electrons) X (1.602 X 10^-19)

I used the equation above then to find r^2; however, as you can see F = 0 X r^2 would give me zero and you cannot divide by 0 to find r. I am confused on how to find the distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cmcdonald, welcome to PF!

cmcdonald29 said:
1.)Two charges are fixed in location: charge q1= +8e is located at the origin and charge q2= -2e is located on the x-axis at x=L. At what point can a proton be placed so that it has net zero force acting on it?

2.)F=kq1q2/r^2

3.)I tried to do F=0
K = 8.988 X 10^9 (constant)
q1 = (8 protons) X (1.602 X 10^-19) ---> (individual charge of one proton)
q2 = (2 electrons) X (1.602 X 10^-19)

I used the equation above then to find r^2; however, as you can see F = 0 X r^2 would give me zero and you cannot divide by 0 to find r. I am confused on how to find the distance.
Don't do plug-and-play with the formulas, think about the problem first.

I suggest drawing a picture to illustrate the situation, and think about the forces that are acting on the proton. Also, can you figure out without any calculation in what region you expect the proton to be: ##x \leq 0##, ##0 < x \leq L##, or ##x > L##?

I would expect the charge to be located on the opposite side of the electron the exact same distance from the origin proton location.

cmcdonald29 said:
I would expect the charge to be located on the opposite side of the electron
That's correct.

cmcdonald29 said:
the exact same distance from the origin proton location.
We'll see about that one after you've solved the equations...

So, put the proton in your drawing and write the formula for all the forces acting on it.

I'm still a bit confused on how to actually approach the problem itself. I don't understand what equations I should be using to get it started?

The equation you gave in point 2 of the OP.

Yes, but I am confused on how I would plug into the equation as putting a 0 force in with not let me work out any distance.

cmcdonald29 said:
F=kq1q2/r^2
That equation is for two charges. What happens when you have three?

Related to Find the Distance for Net Zero Force: Two Charges at Origin and x=L

1. What is net zero force?

Net zero force is the state in which the total force acting on an object is equal to zero, resulting in no movement or acceleration of the object.

2. How do you calculate the distance for net zero force between two charges?

The distance for net zero force between two charges can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the significance of having two charges at the origin and x=L?

Having two charges at the origin and x=L allows for a simplified calculation of the distance for net zero force, as the distance between the two charges is already known and constant.

4. Can the distance for net zero force ever be negative?

No, the distance for net zero force cannot be negative as it is a measure of the separation between two charges and must always be a positive value.

5. How can the distance for net zero force affect the overall force between two charges?

The distance for net zero force directly affects the overall force between two charges - as the distance increases, the force between the charges decreases, and vice versa. This is because the inverse square relationship between distance and force means that as the distance increases, the force decreases exponentially.