Find the derivative of y= u^5/(1+u^3) from 8 to 8-7x

• Thread starter msrultons
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem and a possible incorrect answer. The person providing feedback points out some areas that could be improved, including finding the derivative of a specific definite integral and showing all necessary operations. They also mention the possibility that the incorrect answer was due to a syntactic error in the input.
msrultons
Homework Statement
use the fundamental theorem of calculus to find the derivative of y= u^5/(1+u^3) from 8 to 8-7x
Relevant Equations
Fundamental Theorem of Calculus
Here is the problem
65888511578__2ECEF53B-8921-4029-BF9C-85F9AD331786.jpeg

Here is my work on it. I thought I did it correct, but again, was told it was wrong.
65888761139__84C90FF9-9408-48B0-82A4-76AC67717D59.JPG

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks fine to me. My only quibbles are 1) you aren't finding the derivative of ##\frac{u^5}{1 + u^3}## -- the problem asks for the derivative of a specific definite integral of this function; 2) your work is very incomplete - you omitted du, and you don't show what operations you're doing.

If the brain-dead software is flagging your answer as incorrect, it's possible that what you entered isn't syntactically correct -- such as missing parentheses or maybe they were looking for the expanded forms of the numerator and denominator.

What exactly did you enter into the form?

Likes Delta2

Related to Find the derivative of y= u^5/(1+u^3) from 8 to 8-7x

1. What is the formula for finding the derivative of a function?

The formula for finding the derivative of a function is f'(x) = limh→0 (f(x+h) - f(x))/h, where f'(x) represents the derivative of f(x).

2. How do you find the derivative of a fraction?

To find the derivative of a fraction, use the quotient rule which states that (f/g)' = (g*f' - f*g')/g2, where f' and g' represent the derivatives of the numerator and denominator, respectively.

3. What is the power rule for finding derivatives?

The power rule states that if a function is in the form of f(x) = xn, then its derivative is f'(x) = nxn-1.

4. How do you find the derivative of a function with a variable in the denominator?

To find the derivative of a function with a variable in the denominator, use the quotient rule and the chain rule. First, rewrite the function as f(x) = u/v, where u and v are functions of x. Then, use the quotient rule to find the derivative of f(x) and the chain rule to find the derivatives of u and v.

5. How do you apply the chain rule to find the derivative of a function?

To apply the chain rule, first identify the inner function and the outer function of the given function. Then, take the derivative of the outer function and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. This can be represented as (f(g(x)))' = f'(g(x)) * g'(x).